Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 12 o'clock light mount...

Feedback Score
    After trying Stony's then Ashley's (BFG) setups using the 12 O'clock light (I call it the rhino light), I'm a true convert. I'm using both X200 and TLR1 this way.

It works very well on the FSP rails (such as the new RIS II M4A1 FSP), or a full length rail in front of the fixed, or flip-up front sight.
    Eric Rice
    VP R&D
    Daniel Defense, Inc.
    www.danieldefense.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

12:00 lights

Would it be possible for someone to make a rail such as the DD FSP for a midlength barrel with fsb? There wouldn't be as much rail space forward of the FSB, so the idea may not work as needed.

Feedback Score
    Eric-
    Just checked Ashley's site but didn't see anything re 12 o'clock.

Erick
    Yup, I'm a Dinosaur!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Guilty View Post
    I like the Hahn Precision forward light mount so much that I ordered one yesterday to mount a Surefire X300 on my Noveske N4. Thanks for the info. on this product.
    Guilty - can you post a pic of the x300/Hahn combo on your Noveske?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by stony275 View Post
    Grant,

If my response constitutes a thread hijack, I apologize and feel free to delete this response.

Re: the hybrid idea.

Take the rectangular body of the X series, but "bend" it so that is straddles the 12 o'clock rail on either side with the batteries housed at the 10 and 2 o'clock position. Have the lamp assembly at the 12 o'clock but as low as possible. Have the provision for push button or tape switch or both e.g. at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions behind the battery compartment.

Hopefully, the result is shorter than the Scout light, has a lower profile and is easier to activate on a carbine than the X series lights.

Actually, it would fit on the 3, 6 or 9 o'clock positions, but I'm trying to optimize it for the 12 o'clock position.

Kevin B's carbine rail setup is very similar to mine, i.e. rail extending in front of the FBS.
    stony275,

if you strip all the plastic h/w off the bottom of the x300 (leaving just the flashlight body) it sits very low on the barrel, and it leaves you with six drilled/tapped holes to use as mount points.

Haven't quite cracked the nut of making an easy-to-machine barrel mount; nor do I know how it would handle the heat.

Since we're brainstorming I figured I'd throw it out there. If anyone is interested I can put up some pics later today.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lindertw View Post
    If anyone is interested I can put up some pics later today.

I think you might find a couple people here that are interested
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    my apologies in advance if this is a thread hijack...

x300 stripped of mounting hardware:

rough position when mounted - in my mind it would sit ~1/8" or so above the barrel:

view from the bottom of the barrel:

alternate view:

I didn't take a pic, but this all but disappears from view behind the handguards when looking through the sights.

I like how the SideArmor mount sits low on the barrel, but I don't like the rails hanging off of both sides. I'd like something as light and unobtrusive as possible.

There is a machine shop near where I work. I'm not going to hold my breath, but I'll see what they think is possible. Ideas, comments, critiques?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lindertw View Post
    my apologies in advance if this is a thread hijack...

There is a machine shop near where I work. I'm not going to hold my breath, but I'll see what they think is possible. Ideas, comments, critiques?
    I do not view this as a thread hijack at all.

Besides the obvious question of how well the X300 would handle the heat, it looks like your hand would likely feel some heat from the front sight base as well if a tape switch was not used.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ned Christiansen makes a good 12 o'clock mount

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I forgot about Ned's mount, I'll have to send him an email and see if this is still a one off item.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast