Thread: Braided mag spring

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Braided mag spring

So I picked up a few prebans and after tearing them apart I found two had these braided or twisted metal springs in them. I've never seen something like that before. They seem to be functioning fine so far and I'm not to worried about replacing them but if they aren't know for any issues I may not bother.
    Has anyone else had these?

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    I bought a set of 3 a few years ago !!! Got them from CMMG,,they seem to work,,no real issues I guess. Can't tell if they are better,,worse or somewhere in between,,can't remember what I paid for them,,but if they cost more than the Standard CM springs from 44Mag,,they probably cost to much,,LOL !!!

(Hey Brother,,are those the ones I just sent ya ?? )
    Last edited by m1a_scoutguy; 12-22-11 at 23:19.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsop View Post
    So I picked up a few prebans and after tearing them apart I found two had these braided or twisted metal springs in them. I've never seen something like that before. They seem to be functioning fine so far and I'm not to worried about replacing them but if they aren't know for any issues I may not bother.
    Has anyone else had these?
    Immediately use pliers to untwist them. you will thank me later.
    Combat veteran
    Lifetime NRA member

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by deadlyfire View Post
    Why? What's wrong with them in your experience? Any idea where they come from?
    Last edited by mkmckinley; 12-25-11 at 01:00.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    I bought a set of 3 a few years ago !!! Got them from CMMG,,they seem to work,,no real issues I guess. Can't tell if they are better,,worse or somewhere in between,,can't remember what I paid for them,,but if they cost more than the Standard CM springs from 44Mag,,they probably cost to much,,LOL !!!

(Hey Brother,,are those the ones I just sent ya ?? )
    Ha yea, One of them. The other I got from a stranger at the range who said he made the spring. Then I took apart the ones from you and found one to. By the way excellent mags thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by deadlyfire View Post
    What does untwisting them do? I dont know if they'd be functional, is that the point ?

Merry Xmas all !!

Feedback Score
    CMMG Immortal mags is the only place Iv seen those springs. Probly a no better than USGI but I got one in a trade and its always worked fine.