Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Sleep disorders plague police officers"

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmaxfireman View Post
    Just some insight from a career fireman who works a 3 on 3 off schedule.

I work 3 day shifts from 7a - 5p then 3 full days off, then 3 nights from 5p - 7a followed by 3 days off then back to the beginning.

I work in the one of the busier engines where I am and sleep patterns are almost non-existent. We fight for 24hour shifts where we can have just one night of interrupted sleep then 3 normal nights instead of 3 interrupted nights in a row.

Being 'allowed' to sleep between calls at night actually makes the sleep pattern worse for us.
    While I understand the fire sides schedule there is something that is not factored into that - court.

when I worked last out, 1145pm-745am, I had to be in court by 8am and then depending on my case load (which was usually 2-5 cases, possibly) I would be in court until 12am or 1pm. I would get home and situated by 230pm and then get all of 6-7hrs of sleep (since its difficult to sleep during the day) then go to work and do it again monday-friday. Then most days you have things to do, appointments, family, etc etc etc...by the time you get to sleep its almost 4 or 5pm....I know plenty of guys who either got divorced or did some seriously messed up stuff because of last out.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Yeah, I never considered the court time. LEO's do you get OT or comp time for court?

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    While I understand the fire sides schedule there is something that is not factored into that - court.

when I worked last out, 1145pm-745am, I had to be in court by 8am and then depending on my case load (which was usually 2-5 cases, possibly) I would be in court until 12am or 1pm. I would get home and situated by 230pm and then get all of 6-7hrs of sleep (since its difficult to sleep during the day) then go to work and do it again monday-friday. Then most days you have things to do, appointments, family, etc etc etc...by the time you get to sleep its almost 4 or 5pm....I know plenty of guys who either got divorced or did some seriously messed up stuff because of last out.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmaxfireman View Post
    Yeah, I never considered the court time. LEO's do you get OT or comp time for court?
    We get OT.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think alot of night shift officers have sleep problems because they go back to a normal schedule on their days off. On my days off I stay up all night so I stay on the same schedule. My wife would rather me be up during the day but when else am I going to play call of duty hahaha. We can choose either pay or comp time for court, I always choose pay they give me enough days off.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomByU View Post
    I think alot of night shift officers have sleep problems because they go back to a normal schedule on their days off. On my days off I stay up all night so I stay on the same schedule. My wife would rather me be up during the day but when else am I going to play call of duty hahaha. We can choose either pay or comp time for court, I always choose pay they give me enough days off.
    you guys can choose?

we get OT, also depends on your shift you can get 2hrs comp here and there...

Feedback Score
    I would assume most jobs that have traumatic situations in it regularly will have a great effect on those who experience it.

Feedback Score
    The S.O. here is like this:

Work
    Monday
    Tuesday

Off
    Wednesday
    Thursday

Work
    Friday
    Saturday
    Sunday

The next week, you switch and only work Wednesday and Thursday. Change shifts every 28 days. Hours are 0600-1800 and 1800-0600 but most of the guys come out around 0500/1700 so the previous shift can go home a little earlier. They have 45 minutes of paid workout time per week as well.

They run a PT test (1/2 mile timed obstacle course) every quarter, and have to pass it in 8:30 or less but if you don't get below 7:00 flat, you are going to get bitched at, big time. If you don't pass it, you get a few days off until you try again and if you don't pass it that time you are put on leave until you CAN pass it. There have been lots of people fired for being unable to complete it. Obstacle course is as follows: 40 yard sprint, four foot wall, slalom poles, hurdles (12, 18, 24 inches), low crawl, three foot ditch jump, pipe you have to run through and duck pretty far over, balance beam, 15 foot ladder, flight of stairs, six foot wall, door, window, 150 pound sled drag for about 70 feet, and then a 100 yard sprint to the end.

There are still some out of shape people but they are few and far between. Most of the deputies run 5k races and/or marathons or half marathons when they have the option; a bunch of the K9 and a few patrol guys went and did the Tough Mudder race they had in Tampa a few weeks ago.

My friends that work there do have sleep issues though. My personal schedule right now while I'm in the academy includes long days and I know by the time I get home at 10:30 or 11:00 every night I am BEAT and if I make it 10 minutes before I pass out after I lay down I'm doing good. Some of the guys who are already working on the road though... they go to sleep at 10pm, wake up at 2am, don't go to sleep again until 7am, etc. on their days off when they're working nights. When on days they simply go to bed early and wake up early.
    Last edited by Six Feet Under; 01-03-12 at 17:48.
    “Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.” - William James

"I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

OT / Comp

We had a choice. I took mine as straight time (counted towards your 40) instead of Comp. Working the Holidays gave me enough Comp Time that I could take a day off whenever I wanted/needed. All that extra time in my checks bumped my pay up a bit. Was very helpful when I went out on injury and they needed to determine my 66-2/3% Temporary Total Disabilty pay.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I worked midnight shift (11p-9a) the last 3 nights. I have weapons quals on swing shift (4p-12a) tomorrow and K-9 training 7a-3p the next day. Throw in getting sick and you can imagine how I will feel by weeks end.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptrlcop View Post
    I have not slept more than four hours in a row in two weeks. I just left work early, the first time I have used sick time in five years. At this point I am thinking I need to break down and go see a sleep doctor.

Has anybody else seen a doctor for sleep problems? What did/didn't work?
    I broke down and saw one. Along with the sleep deprivation from long shifts, i had mild sleep apnea. I got a CPAP, but it was rediculous and was not going to work for me. I would recomend seeing someone, if for nothing else than to listen to how this shit can kill you. What helped the most, for me, was just diet and exercise. That and reading a lot of will's stuff, I'm back down to my fighting weight and I can't remember the last time I fell asleep while standing up.
    Last edited by Atchcraft; 01-03-12 at 22:44.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast