Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: +P in Model 10

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Shot the umc +P today. More zip, more blast, a tad more recoil, good accuracy. I did find a listing on another site, and it looks like it is about 1958/9 vintage. It cannot be earlier than that because it is marked model 10. I think the 5 inch barrel is cool. Shoots a bit to the right at 25 yds. Fixed sights of course.

Feedback Score
    From the S&W manual:

• “Plus-P” ammunition should not be used in medium
    (K frame) revolvers manufactured prior to 1958. Such
    pre-1958 medium (K-frame) revolvers can be identified by
    the absence of a model number stamped inside the yoke
    cut of the frame. (i.e., the area of the frame exposed when
    the cylinder is in the open position, see Figure 2).
    Last edited by novaDAK; 12-27-11 at 13:35.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    I did find a listing on another site, and it looks like it is about 1958/9 vintage. It cannot be earlier than that because it is marked model 10. I think the 5 inch barrel is cool. Shoots a bit to the right at 25 yds. Fixed sights of course.
    Then you left a digit off of the serial number you gave. If it were C415XX, it would be a pre model 10, made in 1948.

Feedback Score
    If it were mine I wouldn't have a problem shooting a modest amount of +P through it but would prefer standard pressure for most practice.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It does look like a digit was imprinted BELOW the rest of the number, so 415XXX might be it, which is the 58/59 time frame and definitely a dashed model number. 10-5.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    M4Brian, I have a 5" Model 10-5 myself from around 1962. It's a great gun. You should be fine with +p ammo. With an endorsement from Jake'sDad, you should feel comfortable.

Attachment 10597

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by novaDAK View Post
    From the S&W manual:
    Thanks. Just curious, which manual is that? Is that the Standard S&W Catalog that seems to be referenced alot.

A little more info...mine's a Model 10-3, serial # C57XXXX, according to S&W manufactured in 1961. It has a 4" heavy barrel. I feel pretty confident that I'll be okay with the +P now, but I'll try to get someone with a heartbeat on the S&W customer service line after they come back after New Year's.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Thanks. Just curious, which manual is that?
    I copy/pasted it from a manual I saved a while back, but it's the same as what's in the current manual available on S&W's website:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...01-30-2011.pdf

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Thanks. Just curious, which manual is that? Is that the Standard S&W Catalog that seems to be referenced alot.

A little more info...mine's a Model 10-3, serial # C57XXXX, according to S&W manufactured in 1961. It has a 4" heavy barrel. I feel pretty confident that I'll be okay with the +P now, but I'll try to get someone with a heartbeat on the S&W customer service line after they come back after New Year's.
    If you're looking for a factory endorsement of +P for your gun, it's in the manual novaDAK linked to.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast