Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: +P in Model 10

Feedback Score
    3 of my M&P's, 4", 5", and 6".

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by novaDAK View Post
    I copy/pasted it from a manual I saved a while back, but it's the same as what's in the current manual available on S&W's website:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...01-30-2011.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake'sDad View Post
    If you're looking for a factory endorsement of +P for your gun, it's in the manual novaDAK linked to.
    AWESOME! Thank you very much.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't have a chrono, but I do know that the UMC +P ammo I shot DID kick a bit more and had a lot more boom to it. It was about $34/100 at Wally World.

Anyone know a good +P load (factory) and what performance to expect in a 5" barrel in the Model 10?

BTW - thanks all - informative thread. I used to think 'Grandpa's gun' was a bit lame, but now I know its is very cool.

Now, if you want to get sick, read on. During WWII in the SP, Dad was befriended by an Australian, who GAVE him a model 1917 Smith in .45. He carried it throughout the war. He has a wild story of using it on a patrol when they stumbled upon a Japanese patrol. But...when dad was in Philadelphia after the war, he felt the need for a little carry gun, and TRADED IT IN. OUCH. I can only dream...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    To Quote DocGKR

Winchester 148 gr standard pressure lead target wad cutter (X38SMRP), as well as the Federal (GM38A) version.

Low recoil, fast follow up shots and accurate. Full Wad cutters are efficient cutters and penetrate deeply.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post

Anyone know a good +P load (factory) and what performance to expect in a 5" barrel in the Model 10?.
    Speer makes +P 135gr GD
    My fav is 158gr lead HP +P. I chronographed some NYPD issue Remington 158 gr LSWC+P it did 950fps from a 4inch barrel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    To Quote DocGKR

Winchester 148 gr standard pressure lead target wad cutter (X38SMRP), as well as the Federal (GM38A) version.

Low recoil, fast follow up shots and accurate. Full Wad cutters are efficient cutters and penetrate deeply.
    Link... http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19914

This is more specific to snub nosed revolvers where typical JHP ammo has poor performance. That being said, there is no reason not to believe that a wadcutter would perform just as well if not better on soft targets in a longer barrel. With the longer barrel lengths, though, JHPs should have better performance.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've heard the wadcutter solution before, and... they ARE accurate and easy to shoot. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sjc3081 View Post
    My fav is 158gr lead HP +P. I chronographed some NYPD issue Remington 158 gr LSWC+P it did 950fps from a 4inch barrel.
    This

Look no further than Remington's 158 gr LSWCHP +P as a duty rated load for any .38 Special revolver.

Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 01-02-12 at 04:15.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    This

Look no further than Remington's 158 gr LSWCHP +P as a duty rated load for any .38 Special revolver.

This is Steven Camp's favorite load - who sells it right now??? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Midway is sold out right now, but I haven't looked elsewhere online.

I find it locally easy enough, but I don't go through a lot of it because I reload an exact duplicate for practice/training.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 01-02-12 at 07:26.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast