Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New M4 owner, First time shooting out of the box

Feedback Score

New M4 owner, First time shooting out of the box

I am a new owner of a Colt SP6920 M4, as I have never owned gun like this I am hoping for some suggestions what I should do, and or look for. thanks for your help

Feedback Score
    Good choice on the 6920.

Simply buy some ammo, magazines, and lube, then shoot!

Do you have a purpose for this gun? Home defense? Competition? Or just to have? If its the last thing, AR15.com might be a better place to go. We are more geared here for the serious use of M4's.
    But what then is capital punishment but the most premeditated of murders, to which no criminal's deed, however calculated it may be, can be compared? - Albert Camus

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    FWIW, go to the range, zero it and shoot it before you start putting stuff on it. Play with other people's rifles and see what works and what you like before investing money in it. I've gone through 5 or 6 different optics before settling on an ACOG. Played with lights, hand guards, etc. The only things that went on and haven't changed is a MAgpul MOE grip and ACS stock. Everything else has moved or been switched out one time or another.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You have a good piece of gear. Buy ammo, magazines. Then shoot, clean, repeat.

After you do this, you will have a better idea about what you think you want to do. Research an use the search button. Makes life easier and faster for you.

Feedback Score
    I plan on shooting it, at the range, and hunting so to speake not going to sit in the closet, and home defense, I have an 30-06, so do I clean it like I clean it, and should I clean it before I shoot it. I bought 60 rounds of 5.556 50 gr of winchester any other recomandations for ammo

Feedback Score
    You can try different grains of ammo to see which brand/type that your rifle likes to shoot. Example for best groups and reliability.

Have fun and be safe.
    Last edited by Fenix1442; 12-28-11 at 21:22.

Feedback Score
    You should always clean a new weapon before you shoot it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Nice pick of manufaturer.. I have the same model. Like the others have said, get some ammo, mags and get out to the range... Then, seek out some training if you're serious about it's use.. The accessories will come in due time as you progress as a shooter of the platform.. Enjoy your Colt product.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcolabella View Post
    I am a new owner of a Colt SP6920 M4, as I have never owned gun like this I am hoping for some suggestions what I should do, and or look for. thanks for your help
    This should have been posted PRIOR to your purchase.

The end with the hole is the business end

The "Business end" goes AWAY from you.

Bullets go in the metal "Box" thingy and you make it work by pulling the thingy at the back (its hidden so bad guys cant use it against you)

Pull the little tiny stick to distribute bullets accordingly

If you hear the audible "BANG" you know you did it right
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    There are threads on proper cleaning of the AR, there are things you will have to differently and look for when cleaning.

Your rifle has a 1:7" twist, meaning those 50gr might shoot ok, but 55gr-77gr will probably be better.

Keep the Bolt and carrier rails well lubed. The rifle doesnt NEED cleaned very often. Some people like to anyways, and thats fine, but it can go 1,000 rounds easy without cleaning, just re-lubing the BCG

Lots of info around, read the stickied threads in each section for the important stuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast