Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What .223 bullet do you use for Hog Hunting?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Head shots are not that easy on a hog because their heads usually don't stay still very long. Especially because they're usually feeding.

Middle of the neck between the head and front shoulders in a very lethal shot and much easier to make.

Also keep in mind a hogs lungs are significantly more forward in the chest cavity than a deers. On a broadside shot on a hog a hit much more than 3" behind the shoulder will likely miss the lungs completely.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

TSX

Barnes TSX, any flavor 50 gr. or above.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I used 77gr BH Mk262Mod 1 and BH 5.56mm 50gr TSX this year on hogs in FL. Of the 4 hogs I got I shot two in the head with Mk262 and one with 50gr TSX in the head, all three where DRT like I flipped off a light switch. The fourth I shot with .300BLK using 110gr VMAX through the front shoulders which resulted in a DRT too.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    I shoot 75 amax @3000 fps with my 223ai. Devastating on anything from deer down to hogs. If I had to slum a 9 twist, I'd look at the 50 TSX loaded as hot as I can get it.

Feedback Score
    Barnes TSX 70 grain works wonders on squealing swine

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=94628

Feedback Score
    Our writer Brian McCombie had great results with DTR Ammo on a hunt sponsored by S&W. This is what he had to say about it

"I was using a 79-grain Terminal Shock .223 round made by Dynamic Research Technologies (DRT) of Grant City, Missouri. The DRT round is lead-free and frangible, made with a highly-compressed core of metal powder inserted into a copper jacket. The bullet punched through a good inch of hard gristle covering the pig’s ribs, the ribs themselves, and then essentially exploded (as it was designed to do), delivering all the round’s terminal energy into the boar’s chest cavity." http://shwat.com/ArticleIndex/tabid/...Hog-Rifle.aspx

We anticipate doing a full test for accuracy as well as live media for this round in the near future. When it's complete, we will of course write it up.
    Stephen - SHWAT™ - Special Hog Weapons And Tactics™
    www.shwat.com

Feedback Score
    I hunt hogs, deer and coyotes almost exclusively with the 223. I reload and the best deal I have found is the Rem 55gr PSP bullet in the 100 rnd bulk packs at Cabelas. I usually give 12.95 for them and stock up with at least 10 bags at a time. I load them with 20.3 grains of IMR4198 powder and CCI 400 small rifle primers that I picked up on sale at the same store for 22.95 a thousand. This load has proven very effective with everything it encounters, but like has been said before bullet placement is CRITICAL. my ar and the Savage model 11 both shoot this round extremely well with the Savage producing ragged cloverleaf groups at 100 yards while the ar produces slightly larger .5 groups at that distance.
    "If there were more sane people with guns, there would soon be a lot fewer insane people with guns."

"A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I killed an ~185 lbs boar last week with a shot through the eye with an exit wound blowing out the back out of his head DRT.

Bullet used was a .223 55gr federal nosler ballistic tip.
    OEF X-XI

Feedback Score
    We took two guys hog hunting over the weekend and they got one this morning
    Nice boar, 250-275 I would estimate
    They got it walking through the thick woods and lit it up at about 40 yards
    One guy with an AR in 556 shooting 55g FMJ, the other an AK shooting FMJ
    They Opened up on it and fired 6-8 rounds and it took off
    They found it about 400 yards away and it took off again and they lit it up again
    Said in total it took a good 20 hits and one spin hit dropped it and the back legs stopped but it kept going and finally a shot behind the ear put it down for good.

Both are experienced hunters and I watched them shoot a bunch yesterday and the could both shoot well.

Yesterday the guy with the AK shot another boar at about 40 yards and hit it a few times but no recovery
    Pretty sure from the discussion he hit it in the lungs of guts and it just pencilled through and it ran off and probably died later.

Shot placement trumps everything of course but they ran the wrong bullets we all agreed afterwards

I like a 68 with 95 or110 barness because even a marginal hit will out it down fast 99% of the time

If I was going to hog hunt with a 556 I would run the 70g TTSX as hot as possible.
    Charles Coker

Disclosure statement:
    Pro Staff - Silencer Shop
    Dealer - Armasight and Steiner Optics
    Affiliated with Trijicon, Wilson Combat and Crux Suppressors

Feedback Score
    Shot this 450 pound sow at 225 yards at night with a PVS-14 and Eotech 557 NV using 70 grain TSX over 25.0 grain of Hodgdon BLC-2 and Wolf SRM primers in LC '09 brass.

One shot through the head two inches below the ear, dropped dead in its tracks and quivered a bit, but basically DRT.

I normally take lungs shots but knew at that range with a hog this big a head shot was going to be the only thing that worked, Barnes 70 grain TSX went through both sides of here skull.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast