Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig 551A1 question?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm not referring to a conspiracy but rather strict requirements specific to an individual group that has little to do with actual shooting/operating performance. Plenty of SME's on this board who will tell you what procurement and Gov. test are all about.

Deleted
    Last edited by Dirtyboy333; 01-16-13 at 08:13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyboy333 View Post
    Of course, i wouldnt expect any less from M4C's official "brown_noser" who uses quotes from the sites 2 most powerful men in his sig line in order to be accepted.
    I'm not trying to call you out, or be disrespectful, but please show a little more respect to other members.

Also, I wouldn't call him a brown noser. He's provided this board with a lot of useful information. As have you, if I recall. Don't devolve into personal attacks.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    A year later. How's your clone coming.
    Built it (Swiss lower, carrier, gas system, etc), shot it, got bored, sold it.

The SCAR was better in almost every way, so I made the obvious choice.
    Last edited by m03; 01-15-13 at 18:57.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Does anyone have a reputable smith that will match the color of the 556 upper to the grey color of the 551A1 lower? I'd like the whole thing to be gray vice two tone which is how it looks now.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bondmid003 View Post
    Does anyone have a reputable smith that will match the color of the 556 upper to the grey color of the 551A1 lower? I'd like the whole thing to be gray vice two tone which is how it looks now.
    Turner Fabrications in Phoenix can match the finish. He qouted $500 for an authentic original Swiss finish and $250 for a Swiss grey Duracoat.

EDIT: I haven't seen his work in person but have seen photos.
    Last edited by Tokarev; 01-16-13 at 07:26.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just finished my clone and I had West Coast Armory finish it in grey Ilaflon. I'm content for now (considering a 2-3 week lead time somehow turned into 8.5 months. Im just happy to see my Swiss parts again) but definitely not satisfied.

I'll explain when I have time to post some pics. Besides being lied to on a weekly basis the work is pretty shoddy for an expensive "professional" refinish.

I originally planned on getting it refinished by a well known member on this site but when he told me it would start refinishing in about a month I got impatient and regretfully sent it to WCA. I would sent it back but I'm not in the mood to wait for them to get around to it.

One aspect that I will give them praise for is how nicely they welded on the rail. They did a very good job on that and it's level and straight.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    For what it's worth: I had a later Sig 556 (with Swiss stock) that I put a thousand+ rounds through with one FTFire. The only problem mine had was the gas ports in the regulator were backwards. Sig USA sent me a new one.

I sold it w/o hesitation after having the SCAR 16s for 2 months and running a couple hundred rounds thru it. FN just didn't cut corners on the SCAR and it's a very well thought out rifle. Much more flexible and adaptable.

H

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    Larry stated the Sig 551 came in last in the SAS trials, and I am sure the SigUSA version is even worse.
    And you come here telling that this is a reason to think it is a bad weapon? You are clearly quite inexperienced with these things, and yet you have an opinion on everything!

Dirtyboy is right on the money if you ask me. I can think of several reasons why the Sig would be bad for SAS kind of use. It just isn't a tool for the job, without a conspiracy. I have hard time imagining SAS picking up a weapon on which it is difficult to mount an IR-laser that'd keep zero or NVD for the dayscope. There certainly aren't too many things in their requirements that'd favour a weapon like Sig, and a lot of things that do not.

On the other hand I could think other institutional users that it'd be near perfect choice. It is an aging design that much is true, but it was an excellent, excellent design for it's day.
    Last edited by Jippo; 01-16-13 at 14:27.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jippo View Post
    And you come here telling that this is a reason to think it is a bad weapon? You are clearly quite inexperienced with these things, and yet you have an opinion on everything!

Dirtyboy is right on the money if you ask me. I can think of several reasons why the Sig would be bad for SAS kind of use. It just isn't a tool for the job, without a conspiracy. I have hard time imagining SAS picking up a weapon on which it is difficult to mount an IR-laser that'd keep zero or NVD for the dayscope. There certainly aren't too many things in their requirements that'd favour a weapon like Sig, and a lot of things that do not.

On the other hand I could think other institutional users that it'd be near perfect choice. It is an aging design that much is true, but it was an excellent, excellent design for it's day.
    I didn't say it was a bad weapon(the swiss versoin) I said it came in last, and I'm sure the USA version would be far worse, because generally the SigUSA versions are a whole lot worse than their Swiss counterparts. This has been shown over and over again SigUSA is not up to the standard of the regular Sig corporation. From what I read the Sig is more expensive and not quite as good as the other 2 entrants.
    Last edited by sinlessorrow; 01-16-13 at 14:53.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd like to see pics.

I have a 551A1 that I'd like to get a Swiss rear sight welded to and have the US rail shortened. Will the factory screw-on rail work OK with the back screw cut off?

I've seen Jayson from IGF's name mentioned a couple times regarding SIG rifle work. Anyone have personal experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyboy333 View Post
    I just finished my clone and I had West Coast Armory finish it in grey Ilaflon. I'm content for now (considering a 2-3 week lead time somehow turned into 8.5 months. Im just happy to see my Swiss parts again) but definitely not satisfied.

I'll explain when I have time to post some pics. Besides being lied to on a weekly basis the work is pretty shoddy for an expensive "professional" refinish.

I originally planned on getting it refinished by a well known member on this site but when he told me it would start refinishing in about a month I got impatient and regretfully sent it to WCA. I would sent it back but I'm not in the mood to wait for them to get around to it.

One aspect that I will give them praise for is how nicely they welded on the rail. They did a very good job on that and it's level and straight.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast