Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Sar-1 AK

Feedback Score
    I bought one in 2001 or 2002 for $300 and stupidly sold it a few years later. It was a good little rifle. Had an ugly finish, though not as bad at the Egyptian MADDIs that were for sale at about the same time.

Feedback Score
    A friend's SAR-1 was my first AK hobbysmithing project. I removed the cosmoline for him and fixed the trigger slap by cutting a superfluous part off of the disconnector with a dremel cutting wheel.

My friend had bought the SAR-1 and a Saiga .308 with wood furniture from a gunshop that disappeared after Katrina. Shame, it was a cool place owned by a guy and his Ukrainian wife. She corrected my pronunciation of "Saiga" once. ("Back home we called it 'Sai-Guh' not 'Seh-gah'") I miss that shop.

He later traded both AKs in for a used Remington 7400 (that couldn't make it through a 5 rnd mag without a FTF), apparently after some fudd advised him that he couldn't hunt with 'those things.'
    Last edited by Aries144; 01-04-12 at 13:42.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Bought 2 of them back in 1999 and still have them. Bought one to shoot and the other as a back up/secondary rifle. Both have had zero issues with canted sights or trigger slap. Although if you get one that has one or both of those issues, it's an easy fix. IIRC I bought them for $375ish each. For the money, I don't think I could have done much better. Especially back then. I would absolutely recommend the SAR-1. I will say that I didn't buy them to look pretty/impress or collect. To me that's not they're purpose. I needed a effective high capacity combat accurate rifle that was absolute in reliability. And inexpensive enough that I could put a second one back. For me they've fulfilled this role very well. I also might add that with the shorter stock they're quite handy.

Feedback Score
    The SAR-1 is one of the rifles I no longer own, and regret selling. I bought a Romak III because I'm more of a precision shooter, and ended up not liking it because it isn't accurate enough. I actually miss owning an AK because they're just too much fun at the range.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Gold View Post
    The SAR-1 is one of the rifles I no longer own, and regret selling.
    That is exactly how I felt after I found myself Sar-1-less

The Sar-1 is kinda rough in terms of fit & finish but I'm not a fit & finish person. To me the roughness of fit & finish is getting what you paid for and part of the charm in an Eastern Block way.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My SAR 1 and 2 never had any issues with stoppages or accuracy (normal AK accuracy that is).

I think they are underappreciated guns.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries144 View Post
    She corrected my pronunciation of "Saiga" once. ("Back home we called it 'Sai-Guh' not 'Seh-gah'") I miss that shop.

He later traded both AKs in for a used Remington 7400 (that couldn't make it through a 5 rnd mag without a FTF), apparently after some fudd advised him that he couldn't hunt with 'those things.'
    "Sai-guh" is correct from my Russian language experience, and it absolutely drives me nutty when people talking about guns sound like they're talking about a console system from the 90's.

The more I learn about shooting, and the better I get with these old "inaccurate" rifles, the more I see modern hunting rifles as excessive for most people.

I think the realization came when I was hitting 200-300 yard targets with just a red-dot and no magnification, and people with bolt action rifles and magnified scopes were missing the same targets.

Remember, however, that a lot of hunters don't shoot but 2-3 times per year around hunting season.

Feedback Score
    The SARs were decent AKs for the beginner. I still have my SAR-2. I replaced the FCG with a G2 and swapped the shepherd's hook for a retaining plate, and it's run like a scalded-ass ape ever since.

I've never seen a canted SAR in person, but the interwebs prove they do exist. However, mine had horrible trigger slap until I swapped out the FCG. I have, however, seen an SAR-1's FCG wear down to the point that it would double and then light-strike on the third round. That's when all concerned decided that the G2 was a mandatory, immediate replacement for ALL SAR FCGs.

Other than the easily-corrected trigger slap, the only issue my SAR-2 ever had was the ground-off bayo lug never did hold in the cleaning rod during shooting, so I just left it off the rifle.
    Cyril: Oh now that's a breach of trust!

Lana: Do you really want to open this can of trust-breachy worms after I just found you and my ex-boyfriend with a dead hooker in the trunk?

Cyril: ...I do not.

A Dream of the Dark Continent

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Sar's originally had century fcg's installed which had terrible geometry causing the trigger slap. Sar-1's are only second to non Chinese parts Maadi's as under appreciated ak variants.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

The SAR-1 was my first EBR back when I was twenty YOA and was the rifle to turn me on to the Kalashnikov platform.

I have a lot of respect for the SAR-1s, they are GTG. Mine has been solid since day one. Current role as a “trunk gun” in the following configuration:

Romanian wire side folder
    K-VAR hand guards
    US PALM grip
    Padded VCAS
    Midwest Ind. flash suppressor
    G2 FCG (single hook)/Shepherd's Crook Replacement (retaining plate)
    Krylon flat black rattle can finish (hit with a new coat when it needs it)

For the price you get a Romanian "mil-spec" import with correct mag well, correct chromed lined barrel, and an all around reliable "beater".
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast