Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My 18" MK12 Style DPMS Build

Feedback Score
    This custom build forum is like Nazi Germany..... you say something that the moderator doesn't like and then your post disappears. So, I will re-state my previous post.

Nice build man! Looks like you will have a very accurate rifle for the amount of $ that you put into it. Please throw up some pics of your groupings when you get out to the range. Also, don't worry about all the AR nerds/snobs on this forum. Their sole purpose in life is to criticize any weapon that doesn't say BCM, DD, or Colt on the side.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What twist rate is the 18 inch barrel ?,as others have stated certain brands don't get much respect around here due to the time and research done and the amount of the "OMG Kaboom" threads we have seen .I would rethink the sights Iraqguns has seen problems with these in Iraq .

GI Jared just a word of advice do not compare the Mods in this section as Nazis ,This is not TOS and they will not put up with it.
    they don't BS and tell it like it is get thicker skin if it bothers you.
    they are just trying to steer people in the right direction ,Buy once Cry once is the saying around here.
    I know i bought a few sub-par parts and these guys helped be see the error of my ways with hard facts and data gathered by trainers and soldiers and shooter that really put rounds down range
    Last edited by warpigM-4; 01-06-12 at 08:54.

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by warpigM-4 View Post
    What twist rate is the 18 inch barrel ?,as others have stated certain brands don't get much respect around here due to the time and research done and the amount of the "OMG Kaboom" threads we have seen .I would rethink the sights Iraqguns has seen problems with these in Iraq .
    Um.. I had done prior research on it.. and most have giving it good reviews for accuracy.

The DPMS MK-12 barrel is 416SS (Black) 1/8 & 6 groove twist.

I had 0 issues with the 556 NATO I shot for function check this past weekend.

The MagPul MBUS should be fine for backups...

This is going to be my coyote/hunting gun.. hence the scope..

If the Bushnell Trophy XLT doesn't 'cut it', I'll be going out to grab another Nikon Prostaff in either 3-9 or 4-12.

At 9 1/2 lbs I won't be doing much running with it.

I did order up a Primary Arms 'deluxe extended scope mount' for $59 this morning.. it will put the scope at proper eye relief and I won't be half-a'd and on top of the rear MBUS.

I have a BCM 14.5" Middy for my normal 'battle' rifle with an LMT 6/3 iron.

Again, the complete rifle pic (minus the scope now that a new mount was ordered) will be up either tonight or tommorrow when the A2 stock gets in my hands.
    Last edited by YWHIC; 01-06-12 at 08:29.
    -----------------------------------------
    US Navy Vet. 1988-1992
    PSA/BCM 5.56 [Shelly],
    Marlin P70 Papoose, Sig 2022

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have even looked at getting the Magpul rear BUIS I like the design of it but have yet to hold one in my hands ,I hear they are GTG and a good price to boot .
    It is good to hear you had zero problems with 5.56 nato rounds I know bushmasters can have to tight of a chamber .to be a Coyote Gun it looks like you will be GTG .what will be your main Round for this ? any certain gr or brand you looking at?

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by warpigM-4 View Post
    I have even looked at getting the Magpul rear BUIS I like the design of it but have yet to hold one in my hands ,I hear they are GTG and a good price to boot .
    It is good to hear you had zero problems with 5.56 nato rounds I know bushmasters can have to tight of a chamber .to be a Coyote Gun it looks like you will be GTG .what will be your main Round for this ? any certain gr or brand you looking at?
    Either the Hornady TAP 60gr (I am about to test out shortly as I just got a box) or some 69 or 75gr SMK's I heard might be good for it.

I also got a box of Priv Part 75gr HP BT's, but I don't know how'd they would fair on game.
    US Navy Vet. 1988-1992
    PSA/BCM 5.56 [Shelly],

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YWHIC View Post
    Either the Hornady TAP 60gr (I am about to test out shortly as I just got a box) or some 69 or 75gr SMK's I heard might be good for it.

I also got a box of Priv Part 75gr HP BT's, but I don't know how'd they would fair on game.
    I have read that 75 Gr HP will put a hurting on them.A friend of mine swears by it for hunting Hogs on his land .

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    Got the A2 stock in and installed.. don't mind the handling prints..

Heres the pictures with just the MagPul Gen2 MBUS set.

I've got a nice and long site radius.. (like almost 20")
    Last edited by YWHIC; 01-06-12 at 17:37.
    US Navy Vet. 1988-1992
    PSA/BCM 5.56 [Shelly],

Feedback Score
    The whole reason I joined this forum is because the acting members are far different from other sites. If you post this gun on any other forum you will get a million "attaboys" and one guy saying DPMS is substandard.

This forum is filled with veterans, experienced oporators, LEO, and industry professional. I am none of these; however, I respect the opinions of these professionals. If you have read any of the stickys on this forum you would know that posting a build with subsatandard parts, while expecting acceptance of the build, is ignorance at its finest.

I cannot believe you are running a BCM and decided to use PSA and DPMS parts for this build. You saved a whole $500 dollars. If you cannot justify spending the extra money for quality parts, then you are not shooting your rifles.

Anyhow; its fun to read some of the comments in these threads.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YWHIC View Post
    Got the A2 stock in and installed.. don't mind the handling prints..
    This tells me everything I need to know.

By the way, when you said you tested for function with 5.56...how many rounds did you fire?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickin-Ewoks View Post
    The whole reason I joined this forum is because the acting members are far different from other sites. If you post this gun on any other forum you will get a million "attaboys" and one guy saying DPMS is substandard.

This forum is filled with veterans, experienced oporators, LEO, and industry professional. I am none of these; however, I respect the opinions of these professionals. If you have read any of the stickys on this forum you would know that posting a build with subsatandard parts, while expecting acceptance of the build, is ignorance at its finest.

I cannot believe you are running a BCM and decided to use PSA and DPMS parts for this build. You saved a whole $500 dollars. If you cannot justify spending the extra money for quality parts, then you are not shooting your rifles.

Anyhow; its fun to read some of the comments in these threads.
    Sure.. my $500 BCM 14.5" BFH Midlength upper makes me special..
    And PSA lowers suck.. Thats right I should have bought a BCM lower to match I guess and a better LPK..

I'm sure the normal 'joes' overseas get Geissele triggers and that helps them..

FWIW.. I was considering a Black Hole Weapon, WOA, or Ranier Select barrel.. but in the end the BHW & WOA had some lead time issues and I don't have patience.. and Ranier was out of stock..

I just oiled up my A2 stock so now its more darker and no worries on the prints bro..

I don't shoot alot.. maybe 1200 rounds a month which I am sure is less than most of you folks..

I function checked the build and gas block with just 5 rounds as I am shooting in NJ in the back woods and knowing my luck..

I plan on running her out with 100 rounds of NATO type ammo when the range reopens in my area (they are expanding) and I want to test the scope and the MBUS and set them up.

Thanks for askin though.

My BCM I've have about 1400 rounds thru is with 0 issues.
    I had a DPMS Oracle 5.56 and that had about 800 before I sold it for (gasp) a PSA 16" Carbine.. (which also had over 1200 thur it when I sold it for only a $50 loss overall).

I am down to Shelly (BCM) and Becky (SPR).

I don't own a safe either and the rifles sit in softcases under my bed.
    US Navy Vet. 1988-1992
    PSA/BCM 5.56 [Shelly],

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast