Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My 18" MK12 Style DPMS Build

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    This tells me everything I need to know.

By the way, when you said you tested for function with 5.56...how many rounds did you fire?
    "I shot 5 rounds of PMC XTAC 556 with 0 issues to function check the gasblock fitment."

Kickin-Ewoks, what you said.

Feedback Score
    Here my 100 yard target standing without slings with the irons on the BCM..

The overall target size is 14x22 (about torso size) and the yellow area is about 6-7" in size.. which was my last volley that day..

now overall; the badguys are just as dead without the precision you all may be accustomed to..

Since then my groups are down to under 5" with the same 100 yards and no slings and crap.
    -----------------------------------------
    US Navy Vet. 1988-1992
    PSA/BCM 5.56 [Shelly],
    Marlin P70 Papoose, Sig 2022

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    "I shot 5 rounds of PMC XTAC 556 with 0 issues to function check the gasblock fitment."

How would that be suicide?? Ii was checking the action. and checking for leaks.
    US Navy Vet. 1988-1992
    PSA/BCM 5.56 [Shelly],

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If anything, I'll offer a silly question - had you considered using your existing lower, and churning that money saved from not needing a second lower into other items?

For what I think you were after, the DPMS with 15" Troy Extreme makes sense - not sure on the Levang, but if it works for you that's not a bad choice, just not one I'd make.

The reason there is so much negative feedback in this thread isn't all about the parts chosen - it's that all the OP post served to do was show a picture and republish a receipt of items purchased - some explanation, more depth on why it was chose, and any questions if applicable is going to change the reaction drastically.

I would argue that maybe a weaponlight, and possible an Aimpoint (PRO/H-1) might have been a bit more bang for buck adding to your existing BFH (which I presume to be your primary fighting rifle), but as a complete Mk12 yours looks pretty good - putting pricy optics on there and firing a lot of rounds you'd probably be able to embarrass people with much more expensive rifles if you focus on mastering fundamentals and how to run that particular optic/trigger/load.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    If anything, I'll offer a silly question - had you considered using your existing lower, and churning that money saved from not needing a second lower into other items?

For what I think you were after, the DPMS with 15" Troy Extreme makes sense - not sure on the Levang, but if it works for you that's not a bad choice, just not one I'd make.

The reason there is so much negative feedback in this thread isn't all about the parts chosen - it's that all the OP post served to do was show a picture and republish a receipt of items purchased - some explanation, more depth on why it was chose, and any questions if applicable is going to change the reaction drastically.

I would argue that maybe a weaponlight, and possible an Aimpoint (PRO/H-1) might have been a bit more bang for buck adding to your existing BFH (which I presume to be your primary fighting rifle), but as a complete Mk12 yours looks pretty good - putting pricy optics on there and firing a lot of rounds you'd probably be able to embarrass people with much more expensive rifles if you focus on mastering fundamentals and how to run that particular optic/trigger/load.
    The lower came first from Black Friday sale.. the upper appeared between Christmas and now..

I had run an EoTech before and a PA M3 and it didn't do it for me..

I shoot about the same with irons as with the red dots.. I can get about 3" groups at 100 yards on a front Caldwell bag.

With a scope on my old 308 AR I got a 1 5/8" 10 shot groups at 200 yards with a Nikon 4-12x40 scope and some Hornady TAP and Hornady 150SST with that.. granted that was again on a front Caldwell bag..

I was shooting my Saiga AK74 (5.45) 2" x 3" groups at 200 yards with a cheap 6x32 scope last year.. practice works for me..

I chose the Levang over my normal chose Miculek because I wanted to try a different type of brake/comp. (I've had 3 Miculeks).

And if the Bushnell Trophy XLT don't 'kick it', I'll be back getting another Nikon 4-12 with the Mil-Dots from Midway again..

I've gone thru 3 AK's in 2010 and 3 AR's in 2011. I shoot them till I get the groups as small as I can, then I sell them.. I have ADHD..
    Last edited by YWHIC; 01-06-12 at 21:04.
    US Navy Vet. 1988-1992
    PSA/BCM 5.56 [Shelly],

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YWHIC View Post
    Here my 100 yard target standing without slings with the irons on the BCM..

The overall target size is 14x22 (about torso size) and the yellow area is about 6-7" in size.. which was my last volley that day..

now overall; the badguys are just as dead without the precision you all may be accustomed to..

Since then my groups are down to under 5" with the same 100 yards and no slings and crap.
    Your image is not working.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    The target is the one I uploaded to this sites servers..

Heres a few more pics from this AM..

I will agree with MOST (I guess) on here on the DPMS thing.. My DPMS Oracle 5.56 (from June) would not run 'steel' cased ammo at all due to the chamber being uber-tight. I even tried the chamber brush scrubbing and even at 600+ rounds would not run 'steel cased' ammo.. (kept getting stuck in chamber).. hence the sale of it..

I do not forsee that issue however with this barrel.

Time will tell..
    US Navy Vet. 1988-1992
    PSA/BCM 5.56 [Shelly],

Feedback Score
    Nice rifle, I'm sure it'll do you good on the range. Next time, leave the brand names off and just post your rifle. By saying it's a DPMS, you are opening yourself up to a slew of unfavorable comments.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234