Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 545535455

Thread: Hearing protection,, Which one to buy?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Just saying black foamies do not work for me. Small, medium, large, whatever, for me they are inadequate.

Here's one thing I came up with as described in post # 524. A conglomeration of things that has adequate noise attenuation, fits my ears, and the unit itself is good in that it recharges via USB. It's not the final answer.... it's delicate, prone to falling apart due to the experimentally-rigged nature, but it's a step in the right direction for me. With the provided black foamies it was of no use at all.... to me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Just saying black foamies do not work for me. Small, medium, large, whatever, for me they are inadequate.
    But which foam tips have you tried? A size alone doesn't tell me much. For example, the aforementioned Comply Professional tips (or Canal Tips Original length, depending on which line you buy) are fairly different from the Comply Originals and Shure olives, all have the S/M/L sizing and can be aptly described as being "black foamies". And they're all different from the Shure triple flange, or Shure yellow foamies, or 3M Skull Screw communication tips, etc., all of which can fit on most of the in-ear ear pro on the market.

If you can get good results from just plane old McMaster-Carr foamies, there's no reason why foam tips wouldn't work for you. There's no magic between having a solid foam plug versus using it as a tip on electronic in-ear ear pro.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 05-03-23 at 11:58.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The only ones I've tried are the ones that have come with a variety of electronic plugs. All the ones you have mentioned- I don't know anything about, but I will check into them. It sounds as if they are specifically offered as replacements for black foamies, and so have the hole through them to hold them onto the ear pro unit-- do I have that right?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    The only ones I've tried are the ones that have come with a variety of electronic plugs. All the ones you have mentioned- I don't know anything about, but I will check into them. It sounds as if they are specifically offered as replacements for black foamies, and so have the hole through them to hold them onto the ear pro unit-- do I have that right?
    Yes, some of those tips are specifically for use with in-ear monitors as used by musicians and audiophiles, while others were designed for in-ear ear pro and derived from standard foamies.

Like themonk, I've had the best results from the Comply Professional tips: https://www.complyfoam.com/products/...43214807269563 or https://www.complyfoam.com/products/...41454140489915, the only difference between the two lines is that the latter comes with more tips per package and can be bought in bulk. I use them on both my Ops Core NFMI plugs and on my daily headphones (Shure SE215 at work and SE535 at home/for travel). The Ops Core plugs have an NRR of 30 when used with these tips (which come from the factory with the Comply Professional tips).

Feedback Score
    Double post.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    For what it's worth, I've been running a set of Otto Noizebarrier Range SA electronics for a while. I like them a lot, and definitely recommend. I got the slightly cheaper Range SA model that I can still hook up to an audio source like a speaker mic. In hindsight, I should probably have saved a bit more and gotten the TAC model that comes set up as a standard comms-enabled unit. You can't convert from one to the other due to the wiring, but otherwise the two are exactly the same construction.
    Have you used these with carbine/long gun? Looks like a CHEEKweld would be impossible, CHINweld looks doable.

I run Sordin and Peltor (back up/loaners) with Gel Cups.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Have you used these with carbine/long gun? Looks like a CHEEKweld would be impossible, CHINweld looks doable.

I run Sordin and Peltor (back up/loaners) with Gel Cups.
    Yes, it works fine with a typical carbine stance, but probably would not work so great if you're used to laying your head across the stock vs tucking it up into your cheekbone. The only rifle that really gave me an issue was when testing a Sako S20 in 300 Win Mag. The cheek rest was pretty thin and just swept right up under the ear cup, then the recoil of the rifle pretty much knocked them off my ear entirely, lol. Never had an issue with anything else though.

Here's a stagey-photo showing it with an AR stock
    Last edited by BrigandTwoFour; 05-04-23 at 17:43. Reason: Added photo
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice! And what about wearing hearing protection devices together with hearing aids? I read they must be worn (with or without hearing aids) if the noise or sound level is close to or greater than the occupational exposure limits for noise. I've recently looked through the ListenClear review, and now I'm thinking about buying their hearing aids. But I also want to be sure it will be convenient to wear hearing protection together with them.
    Last edited by Gregory234; 06-21-23 at 07:37.

Feedback Score
    Are Impulse attenuation plugs used by shooters similar to the musician type? is the rating system the same? I've read that if muffs and in ear used together you don't add the two ratings to get total protection but instead only add 1/2 value of plugs to the muff rating? are muffs worn by jet engine techs the same as shooter muffs? How to get the maximum protection possible? does wearing electronic plugs( with setting to hear conversation) under muffs have any benefit or does that defeat any added reduction from muffs? If both plugs and muffs NRR=33 would total true reduction be 13, 19, 21, or 26 ? results depend on value given to added protection and where that number used in equation . According to my recent hearing test online free i need to be seen by a professional audiologist as soon as possible and definitely need to use a decent hearing protection all the time. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by alexiv; 07-31-23 at 14:43.

Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 545535455