Page 12 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Hearing protection,, Which one to buy?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just picked up a set of the Surefire EP-4 Defenders plus and was very disappointed in the performance. Even after adjusting them every way I could think of and closing the valve they still let way too much noise in. Oh well, back to headphones...

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
    Just picked up a set of the Surefire EP-4 Defenders plus and was very disappointed in the performance. Even after adjusting them every way I could think of and closing the valve they still let way too much noise in. Oh well, back to headphones...
    You might have the wrong size. They come in different sizes to fit your ear canal.

I run the EP4's and love them.

C4

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    You might have the wrong size. They come in different sizes to fit your ear canal.

I run the EP4's and love them.

C4
    Well hell, I got the medium size maybe I do indeed need the small. I just hate to spend the money if they don't work. But because you have vouched for their effectiveness Grant I will give the smaller size a try. I gotta have somebody to blame.....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    John,

The first time I used them, I thought they were not working, since the gunshots seemed loud. But then I realized that my ears were not ringing. So, the design keeps enough of the "bad stuff" out and allows you to hear much better, if that is important for you. The quality of the sound IMHO is superior to muffs, which I have had problems in the past with when trying to ID and locate the source on incoming rounds.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    The NRR of alot of these electronic ear muffs seems too low to me. I use the Peltor Tactical Pros and have for going on two years. They have a NRR of 26 db, excellent directional stereo sound quality and a sealed battery compartment.
    I can hear normal conversation from 10-15 yards away during live fire at the ranges I go to. So much so that I usually turn them way down.
    They are a little large but that's a small trade off in my book.
    From there to here,
    from here to there,
    funny things
    are everywhere.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    John,

The first time I used them, I thought they were not working, since the gunshots seemed loud. But then I realized that my ears were not ringing. So, the design keeps enough of the "bad stuff" out and allows you to hear much better, if that is important for you. The quality of the sound IMHO is superior to muffs, which I have had problems in the past with when trying to ID and locate the source on incoming rounds.

Following your advice I tried them at an IDPA match and they worked in that environment. Still aren't the best thing at a large range where you can have a .44 mag go off in the next lane but they seem to work well in a match atmosphere. Thanks...

Feedback Score
    I am looking into buying a pair of sordin supreme pro X, I have a couple of team mates that have them and they say they are top notch on the range but I am wanting to use a comm system with them. Sordin makes a comm system but I don't know any one with any experience. So if anyone has used them any feed back would be great.
    Amatures train until they get it right, Professionals train until they can’t get it wrong

Feedback Score
    Couple quick questions for you guys:

1) Is there a difference between the Peltor Tac-6 and the Tac-6-S? The S looks lower-profile, which I like, but I'd hate to be surprised with poorer performance.

2) Are the Howard Leight Impact Sports water-proof/resistant? They're looking like a great entry option for someone on a budget, but if they can't handle a little rain that's a deal-breaker for me.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    Finally some place I have a qualified opinion to share...

Background: I grew up around small aircraft, gunfire, boats, and loud music.

I had my hearing tested for a medical physical 2 years ago. This included sitting in an office with head phones on, not in a sound proof room, and raising my hands when I heard the sounds. Test was conducted by a local audiologist. I thought these tests were supposed to be in a sound proof room but this one was not. The audiologist concluded my test with "you have some of the best hearing I've ever tested". TAKE THAT WIFE!!!

I had my hearing tested again 2 weeks ago for another physical. This time I was in a sound proof chamber and had a clicker to indicate when I heard sounds. Test was conducted by a different audiologist. This time, the audiologist told me he was going to frame my test results due to them being the best results he'd ever seen. He even made me take the test again to confirm. STRIKE 2 WOMAN!!!

I consider this an equalizer from God since my eye sight is complete shit.

The point of this information. I've always used high quality headsets in the airplane however, I have shot a CONSIDERABLE amount in the last 2 years with nothing more than standard foam earplugs found at walmart.

About as scientific as I can make my experience.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I just got the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X from Botach, ordered Saturday night and received in Hawaii today. I dont know how I went without this type of ear protection, best $200 Ive spent in a long time.

Page 12 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast