Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Hearing protection,, Which one to buy?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    any particular model of the Sordin's one should look for?

Feedback Score
    I was just thinking about new hearing protection.

All have to look into those MSA's cause I was looking into the Peltors.

What kind of warranty do each of the brands give?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by StaffyBull View Post
    I was just thinking about new hearing protection.

All have to look into those MSA's cause I was looking into the Peltors.

What kind of warranty do each of the brands give?
    Not sure about the warranty, but MSA's are fully water-proof(and dust proof). I doubt you will need the warranty. I love mine, better than I expected.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Does anyone know the differenct between the MSA Sordin Supreme Basic vs the Pro version?

Looks like I can get the basics for $155 Here

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The basics due 1:1 sound and have no external 3.5mm jack to plug in other audio equipment and has 200hrs battery life vs the supremes that have sound amplification and a 3.5mm jack and 600 hrs battery life.

Let me tell ya a story about Peltor Tac 6's ..

couple years back I was going to one of Pat's 3 day carbine courses with my spanky brand new Peltor's. My very first pair of sound muffs. This was Indiana in June / July and were talking Africa Hot heat and Humidity...

3 days of 98 degrees with 90% RH. Heat indexes well over 110F.

Out on the line with full kit....Well, after each day, I would pitch the headset in my gear bag. after the course it got pitched in my gear back and down in the basement it went for about 2 weeks.

When I went to the range to practice all my new found skills and went to turn my Peltor's on....nothing, I figured the battery's were dead. Well... I went to remove the ear cushion and foam and viola... corroded batteries (Duracell's) and the electrical connections were corroded and partial eaten away.

I was able to salvage the connections and clean up the set and it still works... but right then and there I new I wanted a sealed battery compartment.

So I bought the Sordins per Pat's recommendation (It's funny how he knows a lot about stuff...) and never looked back.

Now sure .some would say I'm a lazy ass and I should have disassembled the head set every night to let it dry out. But I like stuff that can withstand simple environmental conditions incase I do get lazy and have to remember to do that, or I simply can't for what ever reason.

Plus the sound quality and amplification of the Sordins compared to the Peltors was like Pinto to Cadillac in difference. and with the addition of Gel-Seals to my Sordins.. these are the most comfy head sets you can have on your melon for 10 hrs a day...

These things work great... excellent battery life.. Auto shutoff... comfortable.. Water and dust proof battery compartment.... excellent warrantee..

If your a simple shooter and spend a few hours once a month at the local range then you may not need the Pro X version.. but the basics are excellent.

I'm not saying the peltor Tac 6's suck.. you have to weigh the pro's and cons of each unit and marry that to what you want out of them and then decide... I keep mine as a loaner pair and for future Daughter/Warrior training...

But I can tell you I never cried over getting something too good.....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Let me tell ya a story about Peltor Tac 6's ..

We must have been in the same class. I sweat out a brand new set at Boone County. I sent them in under warranty and had them fixed. Free.

Next year, I dutifully dried them out each night and still corroded them. No warranty and $90.00 to fix. Uh, no. Bought Sordins for two of us and found a good deal on Comtac set for my daughter. Similar but different. Both have separate battery compartments.
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Thanks for the info Harv, that answers my questions.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Does anyone have experience with Pro Ears? http://www.pro-ears.com/shootingspor...protection.htm I want the maximum NRR that I can get and was considering the Pro Mag Plus.
    "Think you used enough dynamite there Butch?"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've been talking these up for a year.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0044358228573a.shtml

I got these after being severely disappointed by the Tac-6S (Don't worry Harv, I'll say it: they suck!) and being reluctant to step up to the Comtacs or Sordins.

It may be the best shooting accessory I've ever bought short of a LULA. They work great, good amplification and quick cutout, they're good on battery life (2 pairs in a little over a year, my Peltors ate batteries monthly), easy to use, easy to change batteries (separate compartment)...I can't say enough good things about them.

I've compared them straight up with the Comtacs. I felt like they stood toe-to-toe in terms of features, and the Leight wins when cost and ease of use are considered. I'm not a fan of the pushbuttons used on the Comtacs.

I haven't compared them with the Sordins yet.

I have seen them as cheap as $35 and at a high of $75. Honestly, why not give them a try?
    Principles matter.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    We must have been in the same class. I sweat out a brand new set at Boone County
    We were Paul.. that was 03... she was a little toasty down there....

Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast