Page 41 of 55 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Hearing protection,, Which one to buy?

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I just bought a set of the MSA Supreme Pro-X's off Amazon with behind the head setup. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by Bruce in WV; 12-14-16 at 05:26.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in WV View Post
    I just bought a set of the MSA Supreme Pro-X's off Amazon with behind the head setup. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Have you tried wearing them under a helmet?
    I shaved my gasblock for this?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Instaurator View Post
    I just bought the MSA Supreme Pro-Xs on sale at DSG arms for $229 (must log in for price).

I also purchased the Unity Tactical MARK Modular Attached Rail Kit and SARA adaptors for my OPS-Core FAST helmet. Helmet mounted ear pro is the way to go for me in terms of comfort. It can be a bit expensive if done right.
    Last edited by Sensei; 12-24-16 at 22:37.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I dislike how the Peltor Sport Tactical 100's clip the sound and delayed recovery, I generally miss out on what the instructor explains immediately following a live presentation. My hearing loss is evident from my past aviation career field in the Army, I'd like to preserve whatever I have left and invest in some nice ones. At minimum, I double up with foams under and generally avoid rifles indoors.

Anyone have a good source for some DEHP's?

Cheapest TCI DEHP in stock found here for $382.50:
    http://edacsradios.com/tci-digital-e...tion-dehp.html

The feedback of Sordin's aren't too convincing which is why I held out on DSG's recent sale when they were $230-240.

Botach has Peltor Comtac III Hearing Defender w/Gel Ear Cushions for $250:
    https://www.botach.com/3m-peltor-com...-ear-cushions/

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Contax re. a good source for DEHPs sign up for Safariland's email newsletter/updates.

I did several years back & thx to a semi-annual sale picked up my BTH DEHPs @ 30-40% off MSRP.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is a nice user review of four brands - budget priced to high-end:

http://ingunowners.com/forums/ingo-r...ny-budget.html

TCI-DEHPReproduction of the compressed sounds is also crystal clear-- I can hear even minor nuances of gunshots, but at a level that is hearing safe. Conversation during machinegun fire is no problem at all.

Caveat: no indication on any indoor range usage

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm on a roll, this guy has some pretty good stuff re explaining how things work:

https://trevoronthetrigger.wordpress...rr18db-rating/

From the article, useful to all:

In an ideal world, hearing protection would work equally well across the human-audible frequency range of 20Hz to 20kHz. The reality is that sound waves behave differently as you move down the frequency range.

Sounds in the high-pitched 16-20kHz range are, with rare exception, only audible to people under 25 years old, and are easily blocked by earplugs.

The very lowest frequencies, in the sub-100Hz range, transmit easily through solid materials such as muscle and bone. As the frequency gets down towards 20Hz, the sound energy is felt more than heard.

As a result, hearing protection products decline rapidly in effectiveness for deep-pitched sounds with frequencies below 100Hz, and in fact start to drop off around 250Hz. Fortunately, the vast majority of pistol, rifle, and shotgun blast noise is concentrated in frequencies well above the crossover into bass frequencies.

Because I’m all about spreading knowledge without making you do the legwork, here’s everything you need to know about gunshot noise:

Gunshot noise is very substantially louder and more damaging if you are in the peak pressure zone from the shockwave generated by expanding gases, 10-12 feet forward of the gun’s muzzle, when it goes off. (Experienced shooters will recognize this as being obvious. Bear with me as we get to the meat of the question.)

Rifles with muzzle devices which redirect the expanding gases to reduce recoil change the situation dramatically: shooters next to you will receive the same blast and concussive effect as standing in the peak pressure zone 10 feet downrange from an uncomped gun. The difference is roughly equivalent to shooting with closed-cell foam earplugs (uncomped gun) vs shooting with earplugs removed (comped gun).

Compensated pistols produce a similar phenomenon, although with a much lower SPL penalty to folks nearby due to the lower gas expansion pressures of pistol ammo.

Indoor-type environments, i.e. those with a solid wall to either side and a roof overhead, ensure that you, the shooter, get exposed to much more sound energy when the gun goes off compared to shooting outdoors in an open environment.

Centerfire non-magnum gunshots produce sonic energy from 750 Hz out to 8 kHz

Centerfire magnum rifles and pistols extend the sound energy produced all the way down to 200 Hz and move the peak energy down into the 500 Hz range

Popular-caliber rifle gunshots (5.45/5.56 through 7.62 mm) generate peak sonic energy in the 1.5-2.0 kHz range, and that peak is VERY loud due to the high pressure gas generated by rifle ammunition.

Pistol gunshots generate peak sonic energy around 1 kHz but the impulse is more diffuse than rifle fire (boom vs crack)

Critical frequency range for hearing protection against gunshot noise is 1 kHz through 8 kHz, dropping off as you go up the spectrum from 1 kHz

If you want a single number for comparisons, average the ratings for 1 kHz and 2 kHz (matches up with 1.5 kHz peak SPL)

If you’re shooting or working around short-barreled rifles and/or guns with compensators, look at the 2 and 4 kHz ratings

Magnums? Check out the 500 Hz rating, and may Odin smite you if you shoot them at an indoor range with anyone in the lanes around you…

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Instaurator View Post
    I don't wear a helmet, but have worn them under a normal ball cap and they were very comfortable. JIC the thin cloth top strap is a problem under the helmet, it is removable at the ends by unhooking the Velcro closures. I used them last weekend for the first time and they are the best hearing protection I've ever worn in 60+ years of shooting.
    Last edited by Bruce in WV; 12-29-16 at 12:31.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Registered an account with Safariland, fingers crossed they'll go on sale sooner than later.
    How are the non-comms Comtac III? Not much info available and I see drtywk recommending them over MSA Sordins.

Working with these with the gel cups for now:

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    My daughter runs a pair of the Peltor 100's on the range and they work for her, but she is 17, so I haven't really educated her on what good is, however, the 100's work well for kids. The Peltor Tac6's are also a great value. The Non-Comm ComTac III's are a solid choice, especially when the only other option is Sordin. They are the same headset and guts as the comm variants, so you are getting a top notch headset. Adding the gel ear cups is well worth it, as well.

I am not, and have never been a fan of the DEHP headsets from TCI, or any of their headsets for that matter. I have had them fail too many times, as have a lot of people I know that have been issued them. Additionally, they have marketed and sold cheap Chinese knockoffs of other manufacturers products. Peltor is a known commodity, and even though they don't offer any gimmicks, they are still the headset of choice for a lot of users, both Mil and LE.
    Last edited by drtywk; 01-02-17 at 16:58.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Page 41 of 55 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast