Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No value winds and how they affect bullets

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    I spent all day shooting my new FN yesterday. God I missed having a real tackdriver.

Of course, I'm now told by the range commandos that .308 bolt guns are obsolete, so if you want to be super cool you need a .300WSM or something like that. I forgot what shit-talkers the competitive shooting crowd is, at least at the state level.

"Hey, haven't seen you in a while. New stick? Is that a .300WSM, or a .260?"
    "Neither, it's a .308."
    "Whadja do that for? You're gonna get your ass whipped at 600, and you can forget about a thousand."
    Reminds me of the golf course. There's always "that guy" who's got all the latest and greatest titanium head irons, the 600 dollar driver, etc. etc etc. Not to mention dressed like a PGA Pro and drives his golf cart around the course like it's a formula 1 race.

Then, he'll go out and duff his first drive, end up shooting 25 over par.

But the old man who's walked the course 100 times and carries around an incomplete set of clubs older than the first guy will shoot in the 70's.

Of course in Tiger Woods' hands, the top of the line equipment will make a difference. But those guys talking shit about your .308? They might think they're Tiger Woods, but they're not. Pro's seldom talk about equipment.

I say you take their lunch money.
    Last edited by a0cake; 01-08-12 at 12:17.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    QuietShootr,

I didn't sell the .308 because it wasn't "Big and bad". I sold it because for the $1500 I got for it I was able to finally round out my black rifle collection. I hope you didn't get the implication that I sold it because the .308 is weak

Speaking of idiots like that though, my .338LM buddy is all butt hurt because I'm shooting my "weak" 5.56 with a short barrel at damn near 600 yards and he hasn't ventured passed 100. Florida Guidos man...I swear

a0cake, there definitely is something about laying in the grass in the warm sun dialing in windage and elevation that an AR can't beat.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a0cake View Post
    Reminds me of the golf course. There's always "that guy" who's got all the latest and greatest titanium head irons, the 600 dollar driver, etc. etc etc. Not to mention dressed like a PGA Pro and drives his golf cart around the course like it's a formula 1 race.

Then, he'll go out and duff his first drive, end up shooting 25 over par.

But the old man who's walked the course 100 times and carries around an incomplete set of clubs older than the first guy will shoot in the 70's.

Of course in Tiger Woods' hands, the top of the line equipment will make a difference. But those guys talking shit about your .308? They might think they're Tiger Woods, but they're not. Pro's seldom talk about equipment.

I say you take their lunch money.
    Working on that :-D

My friend I went shooting with yesterday is pretty well-known around these parts for shooting a .223 in F-Class and laying the smack down on a bunch of mouths with 6.5-.284s, .260s, and so on.

I'm going to shoot some F-class and maybe a sniper match or two this year, but I don't really give a shit about beating someone with a competition gun, it's all about trigger time and getting my groove back on with the wind. Unless they want to start the match by dropping everyone's gun muzzle-down 6 feet onto concrete, then the playing field will be a little more leveled in my favor I doubt many of the game guns will take much of that.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a0cake View Post
    Pro's seldom talk about equipment.
    This is a little side-bar, but it pops up from time to time, usually with some reference to the Grossman quote
    "Amateurs talk hardware, pros talk software."

There is truth in there, but I like to put a little thought into it beyond first impression.

Pro's talk software (TTPs) because they either are issued the hardware or know what hardware they prefer through testing and performance. The discussion of hardware is not irrelevant, but is of less importance to performance than proficiency.

Not disagreeing with you aO, just using your statement as a launching point.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Yea you're right. It was a pretty incomplete statement.

Maybe "pro's don't place all the emphasis on equipment" would have been better.

IE....If a pro hadn't seen QuietShootr in a while, he or she might have asked "done much shooting lately?"

...Instead of immediately going for the jab on the .308.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123