Thread: Third party load development

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Third party load development

I discovered two vendors (McCourt and Copper Creek) that do load development packs for shooters. Has anyone used such a service? I definitely don't have the time and resources to brew my own.
    From what it sounds like, they send you a pack of loaded ammo with different charge weights first. After you pick the best one, you proceed to the next phase which is the charge you liked best plus different OAL. It sounds simple enough.
    Your thoughts?
    Last edited by 021411; 01-06-12 at 22:45.

Feedback Score
    Not sure what your intended purpose of these loads would be whether it be .223, .308 etc but unless you're pushing some serious distance or trying to print ever shrinking groups, factory match ammunition can work very well.

That said,
    For low round count loading I think the time spent shipping and waiting for the next batch more than exceeds the time for you to get setup with a simple, (single stage) press,scale,caliper and dies and a reloading book. With bullets and powder you're still well under $200 with much more bang for your buck.

I still load for my bolt gun on a single stage press (as every powder charge gets weighed). Pistols and ARs get progressive, but obviously higher round count.

If you plan on shooting a large amount of precision stuff maybe it would make sense to have them able to rip you off hundreds of rounds on demand as loading with a single stage is definitely time consuming.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    .308 win for accuracy and long range. Accuracy starts with me first but every bit I can squeeze out of the round helps. I haven't totally kicked out the idea of reloading. Just time and money that's all.
    Last edited by 021411; 01-07-12 at 01:28.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Here is my load development for .308 win

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Wink

So what powder, weight, and depth worked best for you?

Feedback Score
    Other than benchrest type stuff factory ammo in 308 is gtg. I've never seen a 308 that didn't shoot Fed GM well.

Without having access to your rifle its a crapshoot at best.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony1 View Post
    Other than benchrest type stuff factory ammo in 308 is gtg. I've never seen a 308 that didn't shoot Fed GM well.

Without having access to your rifle its a crapshoot at best.
    This is probably your best bet.
    Especially since you list time as a factor; developing a true bench rest 'tuned' loading for your rifle is not a 2 or 3 outing project.
    Federal Gold Metal Match is definitely a good place to start, it took me quite a while to work up a handload that beat it for my .308.

If you do your part and the rifle/optic is up to it you should be well within 3/4 m.o.a. with GMM. There are more than a few examples/reviews of bone stock Rem 700's printing ~1/2" 100 yd groups with that stuff right out of the box. Which would still be close to a 3" group at 600 yds(minus wind) if/when you start pushing distance.