Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 9mm AR?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moltke View Post
    What bullets tumble? As far as I know that is a misunderstanding of what a shooter is seeing. Unless you're talking about muskets, blunderbuss or shotgun projectiles I don't know of anything that is designed to tumble.
    Its not by intent but I have seen bullets key hole on the target which means they were tumbling. Lots of different reasons for this usually related to the ammo not fitting the bore or twist rate.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    What bullets tumble? As far as I know that is a misunderstanding of what a shooter is seeing. Unless you're talking about muskets, blunderbuss or shotgun projectiles I don't know of anything that is designed to tumble.
    Ever hear of an Italian Carcano?

Those things (with their gain twist rifling) tumble all over the place...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Alaskapopo,

I've seen the keyholing on targets too but I have dismissed it as an unexplained phenomena.

DeltaSierra,

Yeah the rifle used to pop Kennedy right? Maybe that's why there was a magic bullet?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Alaskapopo,

I've seen the keyholing on targets too but I have dismissed it as an unexplained phenomena.

DeltaSierra,

Yeah the rifle used to pop Kennedy right? Maybe that's why there was a magic bullet?
    I have seen it more with lead bullets in pistols at matches. Not sue if the shooter over crimped them or what was the deal. Also seen it with rifles such as shooting a 77 grain MK in a 1/12 barrel.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by discreet View Post
    All around bad idea? You don't see US military soldiers running around with massive ear muffs on for "hearing protection".

Also hunting in a pitch black tiny room, it's called a hunting room. IE what people use them for deer hunting with. I have to keep skunks and possums down around here.
    You know a soldier can receive a court-martial for not wearing hearing pro. We are issued several types of earplugs. The main one for combat are the combat earplugs. they are triple flanged with one side yellow (protects against impulse noise) and one side is brown (protection against sustained noise). Brown was always out for patrols and works great with the Bose headsets we use for comms. Just because you don't see the ear muffs doesn't mean they aren't there. Combat vehicle and aviation helmets have them built in and the grunts have the Bose system. All are used in conjunction with dome type of ear pro.

Doc Williams
    U.S. Army Combat Medic/Flight Medic Retired
    1987 - 2013
    Flight Medic Class 4-95

http://www.dustoff.org/

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonDoc View Post
    You know a soldier can receive a court-martial for not wearing hearing pro. We are issued several types of earplugs. The main one for combat are the combat earplugs. they are triple flanged with one side yellow (protects against impulse noise) and one side is brown (protection against sustained noise). Brown was always out for patrols and works great with the Bose headsets we use for comms. Just because you don't see the ear muffs doesn't mean they aren't there. Combat vehicle and aviation helmets have them built in and the grunts have the Bose system. All are used in conjunction with dome type of ear pro.
    +1 We used the tripple flanged plugs back in 1991.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by discreet View Post
    All around bad idea? You don't see US military soldiers running around with massive ear muffs on for "hearing protection".
    what the hell are you talking about

look at any SOF unit and you'll see sordins or peltors.... there is a reason most specops helmets such as the new MICH and Opscore FAST, have high side cuts.... to allow use of earpro while wearing a helmet

one of my good friends was hit by an IED while pulling airguard in a Stryker in Mosul and the only thing that saved him from severe brain damage/ hearing loss was the ear pro/helmet he was wearing... completely blocked the concussion
    When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.. - Ronald Reagan

smoke and drink and screw..that's what I was born to do.. - Steel Panther

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagans Rascals View Post
    Someone please explain the existence of this platform to me.

With the MP5 phased out by MK18ish 5.56 SBR's in favor of better ballistics, why would someone convert their AR to 9mm?
    Who is converting? When I build mine I'm going to do it on a $75 lower I have.
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Training.

There are places I can shoot my 9mm AR that I can't shoot centerfire rifle calibers.

Suppression.

I can shoot subsonic ammo in my 9mm AR and it will cycle just like the supersonic but completely hearing safe.
    I know you mentioned this before. Which 9mm AR have you settled on?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567