Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: $3000 for a carbine

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I'll play.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...status=&title=

Add an Aimpoint H-1 on an DD mount and go shoot the barrel out at training classes.

And save up some more money for another tax stamp and a can. I'm not getting into the dogfight over what suppressor to add.
    This is my recommendation also.

Feedback Score
    Next Generation Arms X8, once it's available. This rifle has all the features I'd want and more. Cutting-edge stuff.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=96108

Feedback Score
    Colt 6933, Aimpoint H1/T1, TLR-1, and BFF sling. Spend the rest on ammo and training. Down the road pick up a can.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Though it's not my preference for exact components: BCM EAG Carbine, Aimpoint PRO, 6 PMags, BFG VCAS QD Padded Sling, spend the balance on brass 55gr FMJ.

If the carbine is intended to fill that budget completely and have other cash to spend on magazine, ammunition, and training, then that opens it up some more.

Colt 6933 w/ Centurion C4 Cutout Rail
    Colt 6720 w/ Cenurion or DD OmegaX FSP Rail

Aimpoint H-1 on LT660
    Surefire X300 (or VTAC L4 3V on a GearSector, IWC, 03DG, DG mount)
    BFG VCAS QDP
    MagPul CTR or VLTOR IMOD Stock

I still think bang for buck, sticking with a lighter 16" carbine, or a 14.X" with permed battlecomp or A2(X) FH provides the most flexibility, and ease of taking advantage if an out of state training opportunity arises.

The prices on these are going to come in a bit low - as simple as it is to say 'buy something simple and train first', having a longer handguard can simplify training early, and having a correct and intelligently set up flashlight and sling system, not to mention how much more improvement can be made running an RDS, a setup like these I consider worth the extra cash up front because you're getting more for your training buck with a well rounded carbine to start with.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunderway View Post
    IMHO, IG gave the best two gun solution and JC gave the best one gun solution. You really can't do much better than the advice that they offered.

ETA: If that were my budget and did not include training or ammo, I would have a 6933 with C4 FSP Rail, T1, SF Mini Scout and a BFG sling.
    Guess it wasn't that good if it got deleted.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    $3k gets ate up quick.

prices include shipping & transfers where needed.

$3000
    -$1150 Colt 6720 (I've heard Clyde's will change out the rear sight for a carryhandle)
    $1850
    -$573 XM193 2K rounds
    $1277
    -$147 Mapul Pmag x10
    $1130
    -$48 BFG Victory Sling
    -$20 IWC Sling Mount
    $1062
    -$600 Training Class
    -$400 Travel Expenses for Training Class
    $62 to spend on a couple of magazine pouches for class

Inevitably someone is going to give me shit about not having a light. If a guy can get through all of that, he has time to save another $100 for a light & mount. Or $200. and yes I agree that our home-invasion-repellent needs a light. but it's not a tool until you know how to use it, and without training you don't know how to use it.

and, just because I'm a contrarian, I wouldn't do ANY of the above if I didn't already have a handgun, holster, magazine pouch, quality holster(s), and the same quantity of ammo, mags, and training. And I'd probably have enough money to get a light right out of the gate so the internet wouldn't make fun of me.

$3000
    -$550 Glock 19
    -$300 Glock 17 magazines x10
    -$462 American Eagle 9mm 124 x2k
    -$175 Raven Concealment x2 (one IWB, one OWB or one with light, one without)
    -$65 Jones Tactical belt
    -$100 Ready Tactical mag pouch x4 (training, carry, competition, spares)
    $1348
    that will leave you $1k for the class and travel to it, and enough left over for an X300 (the only pistol light there is)

Now you're ready not only to protect your home and family but also to protect yourself and your family when you're out at the movies, at church, at the grocery store, etc.
    Last edited by rob_s; 01-09-12 at 05:38.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor Trail View Post
    Next Generation Arms X8, once it's available. This rifle has all the features I'd want and more. Cutting-edge stuff.

What is your affiliation with this company? You post about them almost every time.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 01-09-12 at 05:28.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor Trail View Post

Even NGA will tell you this isn't intended as the carbine for the new shooter.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Wink

You would spread the wealth around, and buy a Noveske for your poorer friends in Pittsburgh.

If you're all set on carbines, I think I'd go the SBR route. $3k after setting up a trust, $3k oughta about cover it!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Here's What I would do with $3000 if I didn't have an AR:

$1100 Colt 6720/6920 or equivalent (DD, BCM, etc 16" Carbine)
    $250 Daniel Defense MFR Rail
    $600 Aimpoint Micro w/Larue or ADM mount
    $180 Surefire 6PX w/ VLTOR offset mount
    $100 VCAS Sling w/QD sockets and QD sling mounts
    $500 Dillon 550B w/ dies for 5.56
    $268 worth of reloading components

$3000 total

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast