Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunting

Feedback Score
    Your right i have never lost income due to predation. I do grow/hunt/gather most of my own food, however my state is blessed in that we lack overpopulated deer, (we also lack wolves too) and i have the freedom to purchase my food if i lose a crop, as my income comes from other sources. I know this does not compare.

It isn't that I am insensitive to the issue, i know that people have not just lost income but lost their business due to it, which affects entire families. I dont not blame people for wanted to remove something that is infringing my their families wellbeing. Of course the state could do a better job reimbursing farmers from losses do to conservation efforts- but thats not really the issue we are talking about.

All i'm saying is that farmers and ranchers are a minority, policy should take them into account but should focus on the helping the majority of people. If it is found (statistically) that the majority of people would be harmed from reintroduction or protection of wolves and other apex predators then don't do it. But base policy on this, not a minorities bad experiences.

I work for the state and sometimes issues come down the pipe that negatively effect my ability to provide for my family, and it pisses me off. I feel i should be considered. But i don't expect policies to be made that benefit me and a few other people while long term negatively effecting more people.
    Quote Originally Posted by skd_tactical View Post
    It's a shot in the dark ... I have a better chance of guessing when my wife will be mad for no reason.
    "If your not using an aimpoint, you need to take a ****ing piss test." -LAV

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoNeanderthal View Post
    ...All i'm saying is that farmers and ranchers are a minority, policy should take them into account but should focus on the helping the majority of people. If it is found (statistically) that the majority of people would be harmed from reintroduction or protection of wolves and other apex predators then don't do it. But base policy on this, not a minorities bad experiences...
    The problem is that they are the minority that keeps the rest of our country fed. Less product/profit for the farmers=less food for everybody else (or more money for the same amount of food). In my book that's bad for the majority and enough reason to take care of those folks. That is however, just my personal opinion and is worth exactly what y'all are paying for it.
    "These skills, just like the fundamentals, are not received on birth. They must be taught, understood, and practiced to maintain proficiency. And like martial arts and copulation, they aren't learned from the internet, a video game, or a magazine article." - Failure2Stop

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Big game hunting benefits... well, around here it's mostly medium but there are a whole lot of folks whose primary protein comes from what they kill. That's money saved that keeps them in their house.
    A lot of folks around here also donate the meat to local food banks.
    For me it supplements my food supply and small game/furbearers are money in the bank.
    If I can get a good pelt off a 'yote it's worth 30-50 bucks. If I get a buddy to make a bag or hat out of it it sells for 80 and we both get 40 bucks in our pockets.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mallowpufft View Post
    Big game hunting benefits... well, around here it's mostly medium but there are a whole lot of folks whose primary protein comes from what they kill. That's money saved that keeps them in their house.
    A lot of folks around here also donate the meat to local food banks.
    For me it supplements my food supply and small game/furbearers are money in the bank.
    If I can get a good pelt off a 'yote it's worth 30-50 bucks. If I get a buddy to make a bag or hat out of it it sells for 80 and we both get 40 bucks in our pockets.
    I'm all about eating the fresh stuff. My wife and I both hunt, and while we're always on the lookout for a trophy, we also don't pass up an opportunity to put some high quality meat in the freezer.

My next question is, how the heck do you skin a coyote? I never tried it but I think that's one of the only animals I would have a tough time sinking my skinner into.
    "These skills, just like the fundamentals, are not received on birth. They must be taught, understood, and practiced to maintain proficiency. And like martial arts and copulation, they aren't learned from the internet, a video game, or a magazine article." - Failure2Stop

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    Seriously, Google it? There is a tax on everything hunting related in North America that pays for everything from state forest to wildlife conservation programs. The sale of hunting license also goes to fund these things. I think you will find most hunters in the US are conservationist; we are not just out there killing for fun. Management of game levels is conservation it stops the spread of disease. Think rabies and raccoons no one hunts them anymore so who takes care of it Mother Nature does with disease.
    In Africa the 50K you pay to hunt an elephant does not go to the outfitter it goes to the tribe in the area you took the animal and so does the meat
    ^^This^^
    And one good sized deer will last a family a while. And think of the hog problem in the U.S. they need to be controlled before they destroy the population of animals that are native to the region that these hogs are invading.
    “WE THE PEOPLE are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

~ Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by longball View Post
    I'm all about eating the fresh stuff. My wife and I both hunt, and while we're always on the lookout for a trophy, we also don't pass up an opportunity to put some high quality meat in the freezer.

My next question is, how the heck do you skin a coyote? I never tried it but I think that's one of the only animals I would have a tough time sinking my skinner into.
    I suck horribly at it. My buddy John Boy (i shit you not, that's what everyone calls him) is amazing. He makes possibles bags out of one hide that has the head (sans skull and eyes, obviously) intact on the flap. He sells them at trapper gatherings.
    Think of it as a cross between a squirrel and a deer as far as skinning it goes. A few big sections and the legs and head are tricky as hell, at least for me. Not quite as easy as a bear that you just unzip and peel off from the fat.
    I much prefer squirrels for ease. Just make one slit between the tail and the butt hole then step on the tail and pull on the back legs.
    Toss the guts, quarter it and put it in the crock pot with salt and pepper. Makes some tasty gravy. Dang it, now I'm hungry.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123