Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thus ends the whole "the shotgun is not as good as an AR15 for HD" debate.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW-Shooter View Post
    I live in the city where it happened, I got more information from other sources. I also think that given the area of where this occurred the risk of over penetration may have been a primary factor with his choice of weapon. I just wanted to mention this because it seems that a handful of good shoots by homeowners have been accomplished using the ole scattergun vs. a semi auto rifle. I know the AR is a better choice in most cases, just not in every situation.
    Iirc, shotguns overpenetrate more than 5.56.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^Depends on the load.

The link isn't working for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SW-Shooter View Post
    The perp was shot by an pump action shotgun while carrying an AR15. The second perp was also shot, but escaped outside to the getaway car, then to the ER.

The homeowner was also injured, by the first perp carrying the AR. Great ending. Using a shotgun (supposedly not as effective as an AR15) as an Home Defense weapon rendered a moot point.

http://foxsanantonio.com/newsroom/to...vid_8739.shtml
    Well, At least I appreciated the jest!!

jeez, talk about some serious sams here huh?
    Last edited by Jack-O; 01-12-12 at 11:04.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    well First I give a big Outstanding for the Home owner for protecting his home with a shotgun ,AR or a Mini gun .
    I for one Know my shotgun with 00 Buck 9 pellet or a slug will give a dumbass that breaks into my house a ride on the train to hell .

I guess i am one of the un-cool guys that leaves the shotgun out by the night stand .I love the AR platform but form me I know my wife can use the shotgun Better than My M4 in case I am not here.
    my house is not a compound it is small with small rooms .
    people seem to forget the shot gun has been around longer than the AR .and has been used over and over to take down bad guys

But this is a AR site so i understand "My AR is the go to weapon for EVERYTHING!" Vibe
    people train more with their AR here so In many cases it would be the best for them to grab their AR for the Bump in the night situations .
    That being said i still have a love for the shotgun Plus i don't want to be that guy on the news with them saying "I used a evil assault rifle to end a bad guys life for breaking into my house .Poor guy was a just trying to feed his family" you know how the media can be .But one Case doesn't end the debate and never will.

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Horses have been Around longer than cars but few people still use those for mobility.

No one here is saying you're uncool for shotgun usage for home defense. It's simply stated numerous times why an AR is a better tool: round capacity, projectile accountability once it leaves the bore(i.e. know where every piece of metal is going to go.) etc.

You may think its great and think you can easily defeat one or 2 intruders. And you may be able to. People writing for the AR think past that. They think reloads, stoppages, overpenetration, more than 2 intruders, and multiple entry points to name a small amount of examples.

You're not being told not to do something. Just given reasons why, when you say our argument is nullified by a single incident, that it is not the end all be all.
    Last edited by Smash; 01-12-12 at 13:19.
    Full-time LEO

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For those who want to defend their home with a shotgun, good choice.

For those who want to defend their home with an AR, good choice.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Smash you made me spit my drink through my nose with the Horses have been around longer than cars that is some funny Shit right there.
    I never said that One case ends the debate .I feel this debate will go on forever .

I was being sarcastic when i said i was one of the Un-cool guys for having my Shotgun out

I get the whole More than one and coming in in more than one entry point.

And really for me it would be a better way to go but not for the wife But besides my shotgun I have my handgun next to me always so both would be in play .

I also Have to be lucky enough to live on a dead end road and have sensors that alert me to anyone coming down my road and a around the house . (Long story wife ex is a drug addict and has made threats in the past)

I Have to say in my area most of the home invasions it is around one to three People.
    I have read in other places it has been more I even saw on the show got on tape 5 guys tried to do a break in on a older man house and he defended his home with just a pistol he got two of them as soon as the shots started firing the scums ran like rats

I don't really Like to debate "what is best for HD" because what works for one might not work for another I just don't buy the Shotgun is Not useful .

there are two stories recent national news one with a Brother and sister and he stop the B&E with a Shotgun and second was a woman home alone and was on the phone with 911 and she stopped it with you guessed it a Shotgun

Edit: I would like to add that for someone that does not train like we do on the AR platform the Shotgun in a" Dumbies guide to guns" Simple and easy to use
    Last edited by warpigM-4; 01-12-12 at 14:05.

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I'm glad it made you laugh and didn't piss you off I could see it coming off as condescending which was not my intent.

I agree with many of the points you have. And the ones I may not agree with are thought out and intelligible. And I can stand to read them. It's the unintelligent babble that is far more radical on this topic than you to whom I'm posing my argument I suppose. Some of your writings just sparked my comments. I just like arguing point/counterpoint, it's how knowledge is gained.
    Full-time LEO

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    I'm glad it made you laugh and didn't piss you off I could see it coming off as condescending which was not my intent.

I agree with many of the points you have. And the ones I may not agree with are thought out and intelligible. And I can stand to read them. It's the unintelligent babble that is far more radical on this topic than you to whom I'm posing my argument I suppose. Some of your writings just sparked my comments. I just like arguing point/counterpoint, it's how knowledge is gained.
    I could not agree more man.some take it too far and it is like a pissing match between folks .and I am always up to being shown a new and improved way of doing things.

I come here to learn .sometimes I just like to act like a Dumb shit to get a rise out of people .this topic always with be a hot topic just like the All ARs are the same one .

The one thing I am glad of is the OP posted a story of someone who was able to defend his home and lived.

I could care less if it was with a AR a shotgun or a butter knife in the end the Bad guy lost and to me that is the most important thing ,
    Be safe brother keep the brass flying

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have three ARs, one my primary at work. For several reasons my grab and go gun is my Mossberg 590 if I hear the door break at O' dark 30.

At any rate, I thought the thread title was a bit in jest, kind of like "your argument holds no weight as I am eating bacon" and such.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast