View Poll Results: How important is emergency/tactical medical knowledge to you?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Essential! I've had some formal training and I'm alway seeking more.

69 48.59%
  • Very important! I have had some formal instruction or will soon.

49 34.51%
  • Somewhat important! I might do a class someday if I have time.

20 14.08%
  • Not important. I don't need it or I can learn what I need when the time comes.

4 2.82%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How important is emergency/tactical medical training to you?

Feedback Score

How important is emergency/tactical medical training to you?

Inspired by rob_s topic where he's getting ready for a shooting class, I thought I'd start a topic to discuss opinions regarding the necessity (or lack thereof) of emergency/tactical medical training, skills, and equipment.

Feedback Score
    In my opinion, it's very important to know as much as you practically can and be able to treat life-threatening injuries until help arrives, or sometimes when help is not expected. This doesn't always have to come in the form of a "tactical medicine" class, but some of them are really good and directly applicable to the type of serious injuries that can occur when hostility is involved or when a firearms-related accident occurs. Skills from basic first-aid classes from the Red Cross, Boy Scouts, and other sources are always good to have in your repertoire. Anyone who completes a first responder or EMT program is usually very well prepared. Knowing how to establish and maintain an airway and stop bleeding are essential skills.

The market for ready-made "blowout" kits is really growing right now, but how many people who buy the kits know how to use the contents properly? I hope close to "all of them," but you never know.

How many people suggest "get training" to someone who buys a lot of guns, but then they themselves do not have or work obtain any complementary first-aid knowledge? How many will schedule their year around a shooting class, but choose not to make time for a one or two day first-aid or tactical medicine class?

I am NOT criticizing anyone here . . . I am just offering points to think about. How an individual chooses to spend his time and other resources is their own business, but I hope that more will soon choose to learn some first-aid skills.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have had a tremendous amount of first responder training both in military and civilian jobs. That being said, a "plug the holes" class is high on my list for the near future.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Basic first aid training is a must, in my opinion. You should know how the ABCs and be able to do the basics to deal with a problem on any of them until help arrives.

For those that don't know:

A -- Airway
    B -- Breathing
    C -- Circulation

There are some problems you just can't solve with basic first aid techniques, but a good many can at least be helped by some fairly basic intervention by even a minimally trained person on the scene.

I feel like I am really lacking when it comes to the employment of new clotting agents on the market like Quick Clot. I'd like to learn more about them but AFAIK the Red Cross basic first aid stuff doesn't cover it...or at least it hasn't when I've been certified in the past.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When seconds count, help is minutes away.

EMS/BLS/First-Aid/etc skills are important. They don't have to be complex or ALS, but you need to know how to keep air going in and out, and blood going around and around.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Very important knowledge/skill set. Not my specific duty area, but an essential capability for everyone.

I focus my first responder for the situations that I may be required to render first aid:
    Shot
    Burned
    Blown-up

Remember, should any of these things happen to you, you will not be the one performing first aid. Someone else will be doing it to you. There are very few incidents of seriously injured persons successfully performing the required tasks. The only ones I am familiar with are very well trained individuals with injuries that were not immediately life threatening. Ever tried to tie a shoelace covered in used motor oil and sand with one hand?

The moral of this story is that everyone with you needs to know how to use the contents of your BOB. The last thing you want is some knucklehead inserting an NPA into your sucking chest wound.

My experience is tactically oriented, but also applies to the home/family. If you dash bravely forward to protect your cubs, and catch a 9" chef's knife to the chest as you drop an NSR, unless your family knows what to do with that kit, you are going to bleed out in the den well before the ambulance gets to your house.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    FYI

DEADLY BLEEDING OVER ABC'S

TQ OR QC/HEMCOM/CELLOX - If the guy (or worse you) has a big bleeder.

The I get to the ABC's

- secondly combat medicine has far difference priorities and scope than civilian medicine -- you will often find TCCC/Combat Medicine running things that are 180degrees from a ambulance medic/paramedic and OR Doc would do give the time, circumstances and support avail.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    I'm pretty disappointed that I missed Doc Gunn's Tac Treatment of GSW class when it was nearby last year and hope to take it next year.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    FYI

DEADLY BLEEDING OVER ABC'S
    Yup.

Kind of hard to keep circulation going if there's nothing left to circulate....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Agreed

I was surprised that NRA Training Counselor,and Instructors classes only skim the surface when it comes to BLS and CPR. ABC's are important, and like the one gentleman said, if you don't have fluid in the pump it quits working.

I'll have 30 years as an EMT in January, never stop training or learning, much like shooting.

Definately a good topic, thanks for the chance to jump in

Bob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast