Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: survival kit container

Feedback Score

survival kit container

was thinking about putting together a small "survival kit" to keep in my backpack. Looking online I saw one that came in a sardine can. It said the can could be used to boil water, cook in, etc...That got me to thinking that a metal container such as this or some tip of cup with lid would make for a great crush-proof, floating container for a survival kit. Does anyone know of or have any ideas of some sort of container that could be used....I would like it to be no bigger than a larger coffee mug or paperback book and all metal if possible.

Feedback Score
    think I may have just answered my own question...a gi mess kit..any other ideas??

Feedback Score
    Pretty good idea and readily available.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Poor choice since it is very heavy and large for a survival kit. A deep aluminum pot with a lid is better for survival than a frying pan. Try to boil a lot of water in the GI mess kit.

It also lacks a tight seal to protect the contents from moisture.

I have my survival kit in a cordura pouch that can move from my pack to the belt. The main thing is holds in my folding saw, since shelter will be my prime concern, then water, then food.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    Can you boil 1/2 to 1 quart of water in that container?

I suppose a 6 quart deep aluminum pot with a fitted lid would be much better if you needed to boil water for camp use or to perform a field expedient newborn delivery for sterile towels and so forth. And that would be much lighter than a GI mess kit???

How about a collapsible 2 quart container with an airtight seal made of unobtainium? Any idea where I can purchase one?
    Last edited by LoboTBL; 01-12-12 at 12:41.

Feedback Score
    Mine is in a GI canteen cup, inside a w/p bag, inside a cordura pouch...

Feedback Score
    Thats a good idea too, that way you can use the carrier too if you want

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    There is a company that makes a lid for the gi canteen cup. I can't remember who it is or if they are still available. I want to say it was an australian company maybe, but there may be others.

How about a klean kanteen? They have wide mouths that take nalgene lids and come in different sizes depending on how much crap you want to stow in one. The 12oz might be a little small, but could also function better as a survival kit due to being able to reach the bottom of it by hand or with a utensil. I have a 40oz and I think it would be too difficult to retrieve items from it if they were packed in there very well. I may have to do this myself. My little altoids tins are too full, too small to find easily in a pack, and too awkward in the pocket.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I have an old GI mess tin, you know the one with the folding handle. I have my survival kit in a vaccum-sealed 1 gallon zip-loc inside it, and the whole thing in a MOLLE pouch that I could put in my trouser cargo pocket (when I was deployed).

Feedback Score
    That's what I was thinking if I couldn't find anything that I thought would be better. Hadn't really thought about putting it in a molle pouch but that is a good idea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast