Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 700yd (600 is ok) Precision(ish) AR - glass recommendations?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

700yd (600 is ok) Precision(ish) AR - glass recommendations?

I'm rearranging my rifles a bit and struggling with an optic choice. The rifle in question is a Daniel Defense 16" CHF barrel, mid-gassed. It's purpose will be precision(ish) shooting out to 700yds. If it will shoot MOA out to that distance, I'll be happy. I am taking the Aimpoint off this rifle and putting it on my new MK18, so speed and CQB are covered there, however, I want variable magnification so that if I needed to use this rifle for a short(ish) range shot (50yds+) I could.

I want turrents and a BDC turret would be preferable. I also want a ranging reticle.

EDIT: Budget is now $1200 and am looking for a 1-6.
    Thanks!

Last edited by ASH556; 02-26-12 at 22:15.
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    Have you looked at Nikon and their M-223 AR scope lineup? I have a 2-8x with BDC but I have not found a need for it on any of my rifles. My use for my AR's has taken me in a different direction. It is unused thus far. I also have the Nikon mount for it. You may want to look into Nikon for that kind of money.

Feedback Score
    Not a big fan of the 3-9 class scopes for carbines or even DMR rifles. I really think that one needs to go 2x or less on the bottom end to make "both eyes open" sighting possible and to enlarge the exit pupil so as to speed up reticle aquisition for closer fleeting targets.

Secondly I would point out that while the BDC reticles seem helpful, they are just not adequate for stuff past 400-500. they are only rough estimates of what you will actually encounter in the field and you end up suffering with "not quite right". Take my advice on this one, grab an hash mark Mil or MOA reticle with an externally adjustable turret system. skip the dots and the BDC. you can always add a BDC onto your turret and use that, but a halfway decent range card based on your load and conditions will be an order of magnitude better than a crappy BDC based on a theoretical load and conditions. You can still use your reticle for hold overs this way.

The Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x has the features you want even if the mag is a bit high. the price is certainly right. (it streets for around $579)

The leupold MRT 1.5-5 MRT is a good scope but the reticle is specialized. the MRT 2.5-8x TMR is a decent scope. the Mark 8 would be cool but it's overpriced.

from there it's on to Nightforce and US Optics for me. Both offer nice scopes at a reasonable price.

Nikon makes nice optics and Burris does too.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Thank you for the input so far. To clarify, I'm wanting a BDC turret, not a BDC reticle. I want a ranging reticle and I want the reticle to match the turrets. In my price range, that leaves the new Leupold VX-R and Vortex Viper PST...decisions, decisions...Jack-O, I appreciate your input on the low end magnification. I'm really looking at this more as a precision rig, that could be used to fight than a fighting rifle that could be used at range. Does that make sense?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Thank you for the input so far. To clarify, I'm wanting a BDC turret, not a BDC reticle. I want a ranging reticle and I want the reticle to match the turrets. In my price range, that leaves the new Leupold VX-R and Vortex Viper PST...decisions, decisions...Jack-O, I appreciate your input on the low end magnification. I'm really looking at this more as a precision rig, that could be used to fight than a fighting rifle that could be used at range. Does that make sense?

yeah, I'm with you on that 100%. you still dont need to lose too much fighting rifle in the quest for "prescision" features. I think you are gonna be more caliber limited in the amount of force you can project at that range . it's gonna be a really narrow range of ability even with good projectiles at the longer ranges. your strength will really lie in the ability to hit out to 500, with great accuracy. After 500 it's a different game.

as for what you "want" I cant tell you that, I can only relay what little I know based upon my expense and time spent training and testing various gear setups. Frankly I'm always in a state of flux on some things but I also always have my front line setups dialed in and fully tested before they go front line.

on my "precision carbine" I have a 1-4x USO. On my DMR setup I have a 2.5-8s Leupy with plans on switching to a vortex 2.5-10x. on my precision long range setup (magnum caliber) I have a 3.5-15x56 Nightforce. Even shooting out to 1400 yards I never felt the 15x was a handicap. once you get over 20x riflescopes are rarely worth it without a very very large objective, like more than 60mm.

Anyway, some food for thought. as you learn more you will want different things based on what you learned, but you'll rarely if ever regret buying good optics with common reticles.
    Last edited by Jack-O; 01-16-12 at 11:46.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    I have a Vortex 6.5-20x50 on my SPR type rifle, and I am very happy with it. Really nice glass. The only thing I would like to see is an open center like on the Leupold scope. I got to check out the new Viper PST 1-4x24 recently, and I really like that one. I will have one sooner or later. Vortex has really nice scopes at a good price.

Jeremy

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Check out the GRSC 1-6 from NordenPerformance.com. It is FFP Reticle with ranging out to 800.

$1025 price tag
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    After lots of reading and some good input, I'm pretty much decided on the Vortex Viper PST 1-4 MOA/MOA. What I had to come to grips with is that "hits" are all that matter. It doesn't really make much sense to be super concenred with shooting tight groups at 600 yds with an AR. The quicker you can hit the target, the better off you are, and this optic should do that, plus it has the niceities of turrets for dialing dope if I wanted to. Now I just have to get the paperwork going on my MK18 and save a few more pennies (come on tax refund) to get this optic on my 16".

Feedback Score
    I think you made a good decision to go with a 1-4x. Check out the SS1-4, its a great 1-4, l actually sold my s&b short dot after running it for a while, not joking. Its around 800$ but the reticle is about perfect. The only thing l didnt like about the 1-4pst is its easy to lose the reticle in thick brush. Its still pretty good for 500$ though. I was just amazed how good the SS1-4x is and thats coming from someone who has owned and compared about every scope worth owning or comparing.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Gotta put in a plug for the Leupold VX-R. I ran one yesterday in a Defoor carbine course and will finish up the class with it today. I have the Patrol, which has external turrets but I think if I was spending my own money I'd buy the hunting with the protected turrets. I'd like to play with the HOG reticule model just to see how I like what appears to be a smaller circle and a heavier "plex".

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast