Thread: M&P 45 - 5" version coming soon?

Feedback Score

M&P 45 - 5" version coming soon?

Got the chance to shot the MP 45 last week and I was very impressed with this gun. Recoil was very mild and to be honest I found my G19 to a little more "flippy" if that makes any sense. I read somewhere that Smith may be coming out with a 5' version to mimic the 1911 length. Has anyone heard similar info?
    I would also be interested in hearing any modifications via Bowie Tactical or other gunsmith that MP 45 owners have had done to their guns. The only thing I was iffy on was the sights - I have become used to the XS big dots and felt like they would shine on this gun.

Feedback Score
    I hope they do this way i can get another M&P. I love my 45 and 40. They both shoot very nice. Im running trijicon night sights on both with no issues. Lets all keep our fingers crossed!!

Feedback Score
    I heard the same thing but not in a 5 inch but a commander length. And this is from a very reliable source that works for Smith. On a side note I finally got to shoot one as well this past monday night. HOLY HELL!! I was able to shoot a tighter group with the 45 than my M&P 40. I will be getting one in the next few weeks or so!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brantley65 View Post
    Got the chance to shot the MP 45 last week and I was very impressed with this gun. Recoil was very mild and to be honest I found my G19 to a little more "flippy" if that makes any sense. I read somewhere that Smith may be coming out with a 5' version to mimic the 1911 length. Has anyone heard similar info?
    I would also be interested in hearing any modifications via Bowie Tactical or other gunsmith that MP 45 owners have had done to their guns. The only thing I was iffy on was the sights - I have become used to the XS big dots and felt like they would shine on this gun.
    I don't know about a longer .45 ACP, as the existing one is already a fairly long gun. Maybe GotM4 or one of the other guys who hang out with Ernie Langdon can clear that up.

I do know that Smith is supposed to be coming out with a compact version of the 45 and an "elite" version of the 9mm that has a 5 inch barrel on it geared for competition.

As to work by custom smiths, I've had my 9mm's trigger reworked by Burwell. It made a HUGE difference in how well I could shoot the weapon.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Manley View Post
    I heard the same thing but not in a 5 inch but a commander length. And this is from a very reliable source that works for Smith. On a side note I finally got to shoot one as well this past monday night. HOLY HELL!! I was able to shoot a tighter group with the 45 than my M&P 40. I will be getting one in the next few weeks or so!
    At the low light class Ken Hackathorn told us that for some reason the .45 version of the M&P is just freakishly accurate.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    I don't know about a longer .45 ACP, as the existing one is already a fairly long gun. Maybe GotM4 or one of the other guys who hang out with Ernie Langdon can clear that up.

I do know that Smith is supposed to be coming out with a compact version of the 45 and an "elite" version of the 9mm that has a 5 inch barrel on it geared for competition.

As to work by custom smiths, I've had my 9mm's trigger reworked by Burwell. It made a HUGE difference in how well I could shoot the weapon.
    I hear no talk of a bigger .45, but they will be making a compact. And for the capacity junkies they are making 14 round capacity mags for the regular M&P45. 5" will be 9mm (then probably .40). This is to take advantage of the USPSA and IDPA 'box' this is where a Glock 34/35 just barely fits.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I hear no talk of a bigger .45, but they will be making a compact. And for the capacity junkies they are making 14 round capacity mags for the regular M&P45. 5" will be 9mm (then probably .40). This is to take advantage of the USPSA and IDPA 'box' this is where a Glock 34/35 just barely fits.
    The rumor I heard about the 45 was that there will be a compact and a 4 1/4 inch barrel that sits on the same frame as the 45 that is available now. I also heard the same about the 14rnd mags.

The PD that my father is on adopted the 45 as the new duty weapon, The PD I am on went to the 40 but now know there are talks of going to the 45 instead

Feedback Score
    I would like the Higher Capacity .45 Magazines.

Any time Frame on the release???

Feedback Score
    I guess every Smith rep has different info, mine told me that the 12 round mag is due out soon, no info on the 14 at all.
    "Respect all, fear none"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    5" will be 9mm (then probably .40). This is to take advantage of the USPSA and IDPA 'box' this is where a Glock 34/35 just barely fits.

Any idea when they will be available?