Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AK optic/mount ?

Feedback Score
    55 (100%)

AK optic/mount ?

I have been searching for a way to mount an optic to my SA M5 (no side rail). I am open to these optics: T1, M2, or RMR Below are some of the mounts that have caught my attention. The Ultimak works but I would like to get the optic a little bit closer to the rear of the rifle.

I like the Attero Arms mount because it is so simple. The MI mount is very close to the Attero but the MI has a few more screws which is a bit of a turn off.

The TWS rail looks solid and it would allow me to run a M2/M3 in a low mount. A plus is the rear sight gives you a much longer sight radius than the factory rear sight.

I have not read any real feedback on the Parabellum top rail that AIM has been selling but it looks about the same as the TWS.

Right now I am leaning towards the Attero mount with an H1.

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    UltiMak

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    How concerned are you about the heat after an extended range session, seeing the optics are mounted right on the gas tube?

I've been trying to decide between the Ultimak, and the MI rail, and haven't come to any major conclusions yet...

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Cunningham View Post
    UltiMak

Feedback Score
    55 (100%)
    Everything I have heard is the T1/H1 Aimpoints take the heat and keep on going. Templar and a few other guys have been using this set up with very good results. The plus with the Ultimak is you can run the Vltor offset scout light mount.

I know I should just listen to Jay and Tim and stick with the Ultimak but I would like to get the optic back just a bit. If I had a side rail I would buy the RS mount for the M2.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    If you have no experience with an optic on an AK, what informs your opinion of where you think you want the optic?

Feedback Score
    55 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Cunningham View Post
    If you have no experience with an optic on an AK, what informs your opinion of where you think you want the optic?
    Maybe I should have been a bit more clear; all of the other AK‘s that I have owned have had the side rail which made it possible for me to use Russian optics or use a KVAR type mount for a RDS.

My SA M5 does not have the rail which changes things up a bit for me. As I said in the 1st part of my post I know the Ultimak works well but in the time since the Ultimak hit the market there seems to be many more options out there. I was simply hoping that some of the members here had tried these other options.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Gotcha.

IMO nothing yet beats a T-1 and UltiMak. The RS side mount is very good but N/A in this case.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a SGL-21 and have a ML2 that I bought for it. My thinking has been to do the RS side rail mount but the idea of being able to mount the VTAC flashlight is desirable. Would a ML2 be too heavy up on an Ultimak?

Feedback Score
    I thought so - inspired me though.

Light mounts are tough for AK's - nothing on the market right now is really ideal. The closest is an Ultimak and an offset - I used to use the Vltor offset scout mount - it was fabulous.

Feedback Score
    One of my goals after using an AK for a while in multigun was to add an optic without making the rifle any more front-heavy.

For an all-in-one solution, nothing beats the Ultimak, but mounting a light and optic on it will shift the rifle's point of balance forward.

I use the Ultimak and Vltor offset mount mentioned and have found it to work well.

For the lightest, best balanced solution, nothing beats the TWS mount. It replaces the whole dust cover and is made of aluminum (lighter). It allows you to mount your optic at or behind your rifle's point of balance and features a rear peep sight.

Looking at the mount at aimsurplus and comparing it with the TWS, I'd go with the TWS. The Parabellum mount is just a rail over your existing top cover. The TWS will result in a lighter weapon, have more rail space, and can be had with a rear peep iron sight.

I've found that the Ultimak adds about 2oz and the TWS is actually about 0.5oz lighter than the parts it replaces. I ended up using the Ultimak to mount a light and the TWS to get the optic and point of balance as far back as possible. My SLR-106FR with light and R1 optic mounted as mentioned balances about 0.5" in front of the magazine.

I recommend the T1/H1 optics. They are durable, have great battery life, and are very light.
    Last edited by Aries144; 01-14-12 at 01:52.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast