Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: let's see your scout rifle!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

let's see your scout rifle!

I think we should have a scout rifle pic thread to see how everybody set's theirs up.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Where's yours?
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    tax refund is just around the corner and I can't make up my mind about what kinda rifle I should buy. So I don't have one but might soon if I see enough pics.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It all depends on what you want I guess. Of course there's the purist who sneer at anything other than the forward mounted scope.
    Remember, it's "your" need that dictates the set up.
    Light carbine with low power scope is a good general start.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    It all depends on what you want I guess. Of course there's the purist who sneer at anything other than the forward mounted scope.
    I want something that's easier to shoot beyond 100 yards then my AR w/T1. Whatever I get will have the Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25-4 on it because it's good for close range & allows me to reach out.

Feedback Score
    Ok
    Ruger GSR with XS Rail, Badger rings, Trijicon Accupoint - Shoots well and fast on target with the Accupoint.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands View Post
    I want something that's easier to shoot beyond 100 yards then my AR w/T1. Whatever I get will have the Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25-4 on it because it's good for close range & allows me to reach out.
    Just add this with some Talley lightweights and you are done.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...asp?mid=535126
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Purists do get a little carried away sometimes.

There are a few basic characteristics that define a scout. Purist forget that they aren't as rigid as you would think.

Here is the key characteristics http://www.steyrscout.org/project.htm

And as mentioned above, the forward mounted scope is NOT required to be a "scout".

It is my impression that Cooper felt over all weight, length, accuracy potential, and caliber was much more important to the concept of what made a rifle a "scout" verse just being another rifle.

According to Cooper, there are some good reasons to go with a low powered, forward mounted scope. his arguments for such a setup are worth of consideration.

While the forward mounted scope is an encouraged characteristic/feature, it's not defining one. simply having a forward mounted scope does not make a rifle a scout any more than not having one mean you don't have a scout.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    This is my Ruger GSR. No optic as of yet because I have been a bit strapped for cash. I threw on a spare BFG Vickers sling which works great in this application, and a Battle Comp BBAC. I hope to get a Burris or Leupold scout scope fairly soon, along with a ching sling to round out the package. I love this rifle, very light, short and handy. It is my only bolt gun and really is an "all purpose" gun.

"You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." - Written by an unknown soldier in Vietnam.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1859sharps View Post
    Purists do get a little carried away sometimes.

There are a few basic characteristics that define a scout. Purist forget that they aren't as rigid as you would think.

Here is the key characteristics http://www.steyrscout.org/project.htm

And as mentioned above, the forward mounted scope is NOT required to be a "scout".

It is my impression that Cooper felt over all weight, length, accuracy potential, and caliber was much more important to the concept of what made a rifle a "scout" verse just being another rifle.

According to Cooper, there are some good reasons to go with a low powered, forward mounted scope. his arguments for such a setup are worth of consideration.

While the forward mounted scope is an encouraged characteristic/feature, it's not defining one. simply having a forward mounted scope does not make a rifle a scout any more than not having one mean you don't have a scout.
    I had a Scout built back in the 90s and hunted exclusively with it for several years. I also exchanged several letters with Cooper and Finn Aagaard about the Scout. You're absolutely right that the characteristics are flexible--basically, it's just a short, light rifle with a good sling and a trigger job.

The best part is that an M-4 with a red-dot sight is a LOT closer to being a Scout than the die-hards are willing to admit.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast