Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Silver State Armory 5.56 64gr PPT Bonded

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kenndapp View Post
    Sorry to double post but.......have thees issues caused any one to turn away from silver state armory's ammo on a function level when they would of selected it on a balistic performance level if it was infact crimped in the proper way, sealed, canalured, ext.....? Because that's where I am at.
    I dont know about SSA's methods, but I wouldnt hesitate to use it for hunting, target shooting and training. However, for ammo used to protect my life, id take xm193 over something with better terminal ballistics that doesnt have the insurance behind it. In my book, reliability and training is #1 and 2. Everything else is FAR behind. There are plenty of options out that offer great terminal performance(for 5.56/.223) and are made to work under worst case conditions to give that up. A little bigger TC doesnt outweigh peace of mind IMO.

Again I dont know what ssa does and doesn't do, and I'm no professional, I'm just sharing my personal views on it as something to think about.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree with you 100%. It just sad because ssa makes some fine looking loads. I just don't understand why they won't protect them. I have read many threads on other forums in regards to popped primers. In my opinion ssa needs to pay more attention to what's going on.

Feedback Score
    If we crimp and mouth seal we hear it from the guy's who reload, they hate it. Mouth selant can also effect accuracy and dirty up your weapon. We have not had any request from LE gency's for selant or crimping, if we did we would comply.

We test our rounds in lot tuffer conditions then 99% of LE or the public will but the ammunition thru, such as full auto's and extreme tempertures. To date we have not had any reports of a blown primers with this round from any LE or Hog hunters that use this round.

This round is just like the Bear Claw and meets FBI protocal for barrier blind. We have sent some rounds awhile back to DocGKR for testing but I am sure he is a busy man.

Art - SSA

Feedback Score
    Art--Thank you for commenting. As noted, the SSA 64 gr will be one of the first loads we test this year. I do think is it important for duty ammo to have crimped primers and waterproofing--cannelures can also be important, depending on the specific load.

Feedback Score
    Does SSA manufacture this projectile or is it purchased from a vendor? If outsourced, what company makes it? Does the projectile have a solid rear shank like a TBBC?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A few weeks back, I exchanged E-mails with a gentleman at SSA who said that SSA 5.56 ammunition is crimped top and bottom just without sealant. Back in 2008, I purchased ten boxes of SSA 5.56 70 grain TSX that was crimped and sealed top and bottom. Now the word is that SSA does not crimp. There has been mention of primers popping on the 70 gr. TSX loads so maybe it is a real problem. In any case, don't get me wrong, as I am a fan of the SSA catalog lineup. I just want to know exactly what I will receive for $1.00+ per round.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dconline View Post
    A few weeks back, I exchanged E-mails with a gentleman at SSA who said that SSA 5.56 ammunition is crimped top and bottom just without sealant. Back in 2008, I purchased ten boxes of SSA 5.56 70 grain TSX that was crimped and sealed top and bottom. Now the word is that SSA does not crimp. There has been mention of primers popping on the 70 gr. TSX loads so maybe it is a real problem. In any case, don't get me wrong, as I am a fan of the SSA catalog lineup. I just want to know exactly what I will receive for $1.00+ per round.
    What he said.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dconline View Post
    I am sorry I have not heard of poped primers with our 70 grains TSX rounds if there is a thread please provide a link to it. Our records indicate that we have not primer crimped and mouth sealed any SSA rounds with SSA case's that made it to the commercial market. A few years back we purchased some Lake City primed brass that may have had crimped and sealed primers but we did not mouth seal them.

All our projectile's have a collet crimp which gives lower SD's verse's roll crimps. With the vast majority of our sales on the 70 TSX, 45 TSX and 64 grain bonded going to LE I reviewed our records for the past two years and we have not had one complaint on either one on these rounds from any LE agency.

Art - SSA

Feedback Score
    Does the 64gr bonded projectile have a solid rear shank like a TBBC?

Feedback Score
    I guess they don't know...maybe Nosler will know. I'll contact them.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast