Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Silver State Armory 5.56 64gr PPT Bonded

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenndapp View Post
    If I am not mistaken I do believe I was told it was optimized version of that bullet by ssa when I was inquiring about it some time ago. I can only speculate on how it was optimized from the original BSB. Expansion charactoistics maybe ?
    When i contacted nosler they told me the only difference is the canellure. Other than that the bullet is the same. It does not make sense for them to optimize the bullet for civilian purchase, but to leave the fbi duty bullet alone. Not trying to shoot the messenger.

I just can't wait to load them up. I have a 55 inch flatscreen that broke so Im going to see how a couple bullets make it through with some witness paper behind it. I will try and take pics and post what happens. I Will shoot the bsb's, partitions, tsx, ttsx, m855, and maybe some others. I will try to catch in water to see what they do if they do not deflect to bad. I will do it sometime around Christmas.

Feedback Score
    Based upon the velocity vs range data shown in the ammo box photos on the prior page, it sure looks like the b.c. of this projectile is pretty bad. It would be nice if a manufacturer could make a heavy (75-77gr), solid base, Bowtail, bonded, 5.56mm projectile that's got a decent b.c. (>0.35) for longer range work. Didn't ATK have such a projectile in the works at one time (SOST proposal)?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Most of the bullets like the bsb do not require high bc's to be effective at range. They do drop speed quickly, but generally expand down to 1800fps give or take a few fps. It would be nice to have higher bc's, but they are also designed for cqb ranges. If you need them to be heavier with a better bc. the matchkings have shown to be quite effective.

It seems like all the new bonded bullets designed for expansion have a larger surface area at the meplat. I think it might be required for expansion. If the bullet had a higher bc it might not expand.

With a bc of .25 at 2750fps you will be above 1800fps out to 300 yards. Depending on environmental conditions that might be able to be extended by a little. Having a bullet that expands out to 300 is pretty good.

Edit: when i wrote that i was not thinking clearly. They do have a 75 grain swift scirocco II in 224 diameter. I do not know if anyone loads it in commercial ammo, but it is available as a component. It should fit all the requirements you were looking for. The only thing is it does not have a solid base. It is a boat tail, ballistic tip, bonded, hunting bullet that looks to have a good ballistic coefficient. They cost about the same as other high end bonded bullets. I have seen them for about .40-.50¢ a piece. I always forget about it. I need to pick some up it could replace a lot of bullets i load.
    Last edited by jstone; 10-12-12 at 21:33.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    Most of the bullets like the bsb do not require high bc's to be effective at range. They do drop speed quickly, but generally expand down to 1800fps give or take a few fps. It would be nice to have higher bc's, but they are also designed for cqb ranges. If you need them to be heavier with a better bc. the matchkings have shown to be quite effective.

It seems like all the new bonded bullets designed for expansion have a larger surface area at the meplat. I think it might be required for expansion. If the bullet had a higher bc it might not expand.

With a bc of .25 at 2750fps you will be above 1800fps out to 300 yards. Depending on environmental conditions that might be able to be extended by a little. Having a bullet that expands out to 300 is pretty good.

Edit: when i wrote that i was not thinking clearly. They do have a 75 grain swift scirocco II in 224 diameter. I do not know if anyone loads it in commercial ammo, but it is available as a component. It should fit all the requirements you were looking for. The only thing is it does not have a solid base. It is a boat tail, ballistic tip, bonded, hunting bullet that looks to have a good ballistic coefficient. They cost about the same as other high end bonded bullets. I have seen them for about .40-.50¢ a piece. I always forget about it. I need to pick some up it could replace a lot of bullets i load.
    The swift scirocco II cannot be loaded to mag length. That and it tend to have some copper fouling issues.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Where did you get the info on that? I have not been able to find any data or info on the scirocco. I don't really want to order the swift book to find out. There was a guy on here that was loading to mag length. The only bullet i was aware of that is under 80 grains that could not be loaded to mag length was the 75 amax. Im not to worried about the copper fouling. Im kind of glad they were out yesterday when i went to pic some up.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    So anybody done anymore testing on these? Any reliability issues?
    "When the time for performance has arrived, the time for preparation had passed."
    -Thomas S. Monson

Feedback Score
    I know i am a little late, but i shot a deer in 2017 with this load. One hit in the vitals turned the lungs into mush and stopped the heart. They perform well on deer and are very reliable in a 16" carbine.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbins290 View Post
    I know i am a little late, but i shot a deer in 2017 with this load. One hit in the vitals turned the lungs into mush and stopped the heart. They perform well on deer and are very reliable in a 16" carbine.
    How far would you say?

Feedback Score
    I would say 70ish yards.

Feedback Score
    I am late again, but shot another deer with the same load in nov, Great results. this time about 40 yards. the deer was pretty small. But the bullet still turned the lungs into mush. Wished they still made these bullets. Once my box it gone, i will have to find some other load for the 5.56.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345