Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just curious: ear protection in the military?

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Back in 06-07 I rolled with one earplug on the roadside ear (my right ear) and nothing in the other ear (my left ear) so I could hear my crew and the radio. During dismounted patrols I would leave it the same because my roadside ear was also my rifle side ear. I did that for 16 months.

Fast forward to today and the ringing in my ears is far worse in my left ear. Go figure.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If you are a right-handed shooter, the left ear recieves more noise. The rifle itself obscures some sound from the right side.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Glad to see some some wearing on their own, and or being issued HP. I'm sure it has it's pros/cons as some touched on above.

I do know most of my old school mil friends say "what?" a lot, I'm sure part due to simple age too.

I'm not sure what, if, any follow up exists, but this is from an article I wrote called "Nutritional supplements for America’s SOF and LE Tactical Teams" on supps that may be of benefit to mil community:

Hearing and Lung protection against High-energy impulse noise (BLAST)

Due to the regular exposure of high-energy impulse noise (BLAST) by soldiers, permanent hearing loss is a serious problem that can affect soldiers’ operational effectiveness as well as their long-term health and combat readiness. Several studies find the mineral Magnesium quite effective for reducing hearing losses due to BLAST.

Animal experiments find there is a correlation between serum magnesium level and noise-induced permanent hearing threshold shifts (NIPTS), so researchers looked to see if this mineral would act as a direct prophylactic against hearing loss in humans. Three hundred healthy, normal-hearing recruits who underwent two months of basic military training, including repeated exposures to high levels of impulse noises (gun fire, explosives, etc.) were tested. During this placebo-controlled, double-blind study (Attias J. et al. Oral magnesium intake reduces permanent hearing loss induced by noise exposure. Am J Otolaryngol. 1994 Jan-Feb;15(1):26-32), subjects received either 167 magnesium aspartate or placebo daily.

The results showed permanent hearing damage was significantly reduced with the magnesium group vs. placebo. In fact, the results were so impressive the researchers concluded “This study may introduce a significant natural agent for the reduction of hearing damages in noise-exposed population.”

Additional placebo-controlled double blind studies have found the same effects of magnesium’s protective effects on hearing loss from high impulse noise induced damage (Joachims Z, et al. Oral magnesium supplementation as prophylaxis for noise-induced hearing loss: results of a double blind field study.Schriftenr Ver Wasser Boden Lufthyg. 1993;88:503-16.).
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    There is also evidence anti-oxidant vitamins can help preent hearing damage.

I take those and I also supplement Magnesium. If ya'll ever see me at a class, you will likely see me popping vitamin C during the day.

My annual physical has not insicated any further hearing loss in many years in spite of my fairly frenquent exposure to gunfire.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    There is also evidence anti-oxidant vitamins can help preent hearing damage.

I take those and I also supplement Magnesium. If ya'll ever see me at a class, you will likely see me popping vitamin C during the day.

My annual physical has not insicated any further hearing loss in many years in spite of my fairly frenquent exposure to gunfire.
    I didn't see data on anti oxidants specific to hearing damage, but if you follow link above, there's good data for using them for lung damage caused by BLAST:

Another area of the body particularly sensitive to damage from BLAST is the lungs. In this instance, it is an abrupt rise in atmospheric pressure above ambient lasting for a very short period via concussive forces from detonations or other causes. Not surprisingly, exposure to high-level BLAST can be lethal to soldiers. Low-level BLAST encountered by military personnel during training and combat can also cause significant injury to sensitive organs and other areas of the body. Research carried out at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research has shown in several animal models that exposure to low-level BLAST results in pathological changes to the animals’ lungs. Their conclusion was that exposure to BLAST can lead to antioxidant depletion and oxidative damage with an increased risk of long term lung problems such as respiratory insufficiency and adult respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). Their report (Elsayed NM, Gorbunov NV..Interplay between high energy impulse noise (blast) and antioxidants in the lung. Toxicology. 2003 Jul 15;189(1-2):63-74) suggests a potential benefit from antioxidant supplementation before soldiers are exposure to BLAST. Considering how inexpensive and safe magnesium and various antioxidants (i.e. vitamin C, vitamin E, etc.) are compared to the risk to hearing and lungs from BLAST, it behooves SOF soldiers to consider the use of the above and for medical-military institutions to consider recommending these compounds.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 01-15-12 at 18:26.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    There are several studies out there, here is one:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0328111138.htm

In a new study in animals, University of Michigan researchers report that a combination of high doses of vitamins A, C, and E and magnesium, taken one hour before noise exposure and continued as a once-daily treatment for five days, was very effective at preventing permanent noise-induced hearing loss. The animals had prolonged exposure to sounds as loud as a jet engine at take-off at close range
    I heard about the link between anti-oxidants and hearing loss several years ago.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 01-15-12 at 18:38.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    There are also studies that show taking anti-oxidants proximate to exposure to a high dosage of radation can help greatly reduce cellular damage.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Perhaps the Brinkzone needs to do a video on the multiple possible positive benefits to the consumption of anti-oxidant vitamins and minerals suppliments? Hmmm?
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 01-15-12 at 18:37.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    There are several studies out there, here is one:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0328111138.htm

I heard about the link between anti-oxidants and hearing loss several years ago.
    I have to look at the primary sources, but will add that info to future articles on the topic for sure.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    There are also studies that show taking anti-oxidants proximate to exposure to a high dosage of radation can help greatly reduce cellular damage.
    Yes, and some other compounds. You can download a poster session as a PDF I had at the ISSN conference a few years back on that and other uses for supps in mil I didn't cover in article:

http://www.optimalswat.com/content.p...SSN-Conference

I'd attach to this thread, but I think it's too big a file.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12