Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Fixing" the auto-forward in my m&p.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    WHY does the M&P FTF and/or close on an empty chamber?

Is the slide starting forward before the mag is fully inserted?

Seems like this could cause either case of the HPs getting hung up on the bottom of the feed ramp and the slide to missing the case rim entirely.
    Last edited by Clint; 01-15-12 at 20:03.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I believe it is an issue with the magazine which allows the top round to nose-dive as it is being inserted which is causing the malfunctions.
    "The future's uncertain, and the end is always near." Jim Morrison

"Fortuitous outcomes reinforce poor training and tactics"

Feedback Score
    And all of this could have been averted if SW bent the slide stop correctly?

What is it with handguns that make the perfect one so elusive? Makes me want to stick with my P7 since it will continue tomrun with major breakages.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Doug, please stop making sense of all these things and just figure out a fix for this in the shop and have some Ogre we know test it out. I've got some work for you too, will bump you on MGO for the details!
    We are the first Warrior class in any Civilization to be provided with weapons and no belief system...... Dave Smith

Feedback Score
    I think most of the semi-auto pistols I've ever owned have done this.

-.45 ACP HK USP
    -.40 G23
    -9mm G19
    -9mm G17
    -9mm M&P FS
    -9mm Sig 228

My 1911s are the only ones that have never done it.

Feedback Score
    I have about 15K rounds on one M&P and it has auto-forwarded 2 or 3 times.
    I have complaints about much more important things in this world.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dougwg View Post
    A true fix would be to change the angle of the interface surfaces so they lock together. Although this will also make releasing the slide by pushing down on the slide catch nearly impossible for those that employ this method.

From the left side looking at the slide catch it is slightly like this "\" and would need to be changed to this "/".
    He's right about changing the angle on the slide stop.
    I don't think it has to be so interlocked as to "make releasing the slide by pushing down on the slide catch nearly impossible for those that employ this method".

It looks to me as if S&W needed to use the angle that they have now so the right side of the lever will still function. Once you start to adjust it and make the lever more resistant to auto-forwarding, the right side lever might cease to be useful for releasing the slide when its locked open.

If you never use the right side lever, adjust the left side lock angle as you see fit.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yes, most modern polymer pistols will auto-forward if the magazines are inserted in a certain manner, that has long been established.

The specific issue with the M&P 9mm platform in my experience has been that when the auto-forward occurs with hollow point ammo it can also cause a failure to feed malfunction. Either the nose of the hollow point round gets jammed-up against the bottom of the feed ramp or the slide with travel forward into battery without chambering a round.
    "The future's uncertain, and the end is always near." Jim Morrison

"Fortuitous outcomes reinforce poor training and tactics"

Feedback Score
    Anyone heard feedback from S&W on this?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    The problem comes when it does not drop forward when you expect it to.
    Pat
    THIS.....
    ALL of my M&Ps and ALL of my Glocks except the gen4 models do this. They have never failed to pick up a round. What sucks is when you are actually trying to practice reloading and you can't get the proper technique because of auto forwarding.

I liked the H&K P7M8 when you would squeeze the cocking handle it went forward.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast