Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BFG Trauma Now Kit, need to add anything?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

BFG Trauma Now Kit, need to add anything?

Just got my Blue Force Gear Trauma Now kit in the mail.

I bought it during a sale, but still kind of wish I would have waited and got the ITS tactical kit. Oh well good deal etc.

My kit came with-
    Cinch-Tight Combat Dressing
    PriMed Compressed Gauze
    TK4 Combat Tourniquet
    Combat Medic Reinforced Tape
    Petrolatum Gauze Pad 3"x9"
    Nitrile Surgical Gloves

I have a few slots left, so should I add anything else to my kit?

Thanks, Happy Holidays!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    What are you qualified to do? What training have you had? How far away from a Level 1 trauma center is your range located?

There's a very helpful lad here named Mike G. He runs a very good company that stocks medical supplies.

http://www.austereprovisions.com/

He's also skilled at reducing the spraying red stuff. His advice would be good. I used to work in that field about the time gauze was invented. They took away my bottle of leeches years ago, so Mike would be more up to date.

I am a big fan of the "First, do no harm" school. So I'd say more Prim-Med gauze.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have my Air Force Combat Controller CCT training, but that was 7ish yrs ago and my Leo training. I crossed trained a few yrs ago so I have not kept up with it to much.I plan on taking a refresher this spring/summer somewhere. Just looking for suggestions. thanks

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Ah, then that is way better than most folks at the range have had!

Mike does sell the Quik-Clot combat gauze, you've probably used that? The newer stuff is much better than the granule stuff you guys got issued back then. The heat is not a problem, and it's a gauze roll that shows up on x-ray.

I'd maybe add an Ace-type bandage to get a little more pressure on a wound? But the Pri-Med would also be good, to get some more packing in there.

I hear you about getting some new training, I am looking to do that myself. My paramedic certification expired a long time ago, and stuff has changed dramatically.

And thank you for your service, both as a Combat Controller and an officer. I got to watch some USAF folks work a expeditionary airfield once when I was deployed, it was really neat to see them at work.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes sir, as I mentioned Im trying to get back up to speed, I crossed trained into aircrew and from then on was pretty pampered the rest of my enlistment. Lol

Im now going back into the army but intel side, Im wanting to learn more etc more for myself and my family.

The kit I have is pretty basic but is much better than nothing. Im going to make a dedicated medical pack here soon.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    The kit is good for the big stuff; I would add a zip-lock with small band-aids, some small 2x2 gauze and a roll of tape, and some trauma shears. I think the kit is stocked like any serious BOK, but like a serious BOK, lacks the ability to treat a boo-boo.

Feedback Score
    I added shears, duct tape, and quick clot gauze to mine.

ETA - I have a separate kit for less serious injuries. No sense in cluttering up the important bits with a bunch of what will be useless items when someone has be shot, or suffered some other serious injury. You can get 'kits' for REAL cheap online, that are actually reasonably well stocked (I think they are 'Adventure Medical Kits'). Pretty cheap, comes in a red nylon bag...I bought enough to keep one at my house, in my car, in my backpack, etc.
    Last edited by Joeywhat; 12-26-11 at 07:17.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
    You can get 'kits' for REAL cheap online, that are actually reasonably well stocked (I think they are 'Adventure Medical Kits'). Pretty cheap, comes in a red nylon bag...I bought enough to keep one at my house, in my car, in my backpack, etc.
    AMK make nice kits, and have a kit for just about every need.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I'll second the boo-boo kit, and keeping it separate. A roll of tape for "range finger", some bandages, aspirin and sunblock.

What about a Hyfin or Bolin chest seal? It's thin, and can fit easily into the Trauma Now kit. Mike G sells them.

I know one can improvise a chest seal with an occlusive material and some tape, and just burp the wound. I've lost count of how many times I've done that. But a seal is a lot faster and easier.

And don't forget you might be using this kit on yourself, or guiding someone who is using it on you.

Here's a pair of links to earlier threads with some good discussion.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=41759

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82238

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks, yea I have a separate boo boo kit in a see through bag that I keep in the bag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast