Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abdominal wounds...interesting concept

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Abdominal wounds...interesting concept

I haven't seen any studies on this device and it's not on the market yet, but it's an intriguing concept.

Anybody here have any practical experience with this "abdominal tourniquet"?

http://gizmodo.com/5876064/this-new-...source=message

I can see the potential in the military for a bunch of mesomorphic soldiers, but given the USA's truly impressive obesity epidemic, I have reservations about the device's broad application in the civilian population.

/
    Last edited by Hmac; 01-14-12 at 07:24.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Interesting idea. I suppose if you position it below the navel you would most likely just push that wedge through the small intestines to occlude the AA (where it bifurcates,) and IVC. There would still be bleeding from the anastomosed arteries and veins but at least you wouldn't have large diameter arterial bleeding. I could see a guy shitting himself because of the increased IAP but I would rather shit myself and deal with the pain of one of these devices than bleed out in some backwater shithole.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    This appears to share similar concepts with the (in)famed MAST Trousers. The big difference being this device situated at the umbilicus as opposed to the leg / pelvic portions of the MAST device.

There are other minimally-invasive aortic occlusive devices out there. A colleague of mine at VCU/MCV in Richmond (Kevin Ward) patented one that is inserted in the esophagus: http://www.google.com/patents/US5716386

I believed that he collected some data using a swine model of hemorrhagic shock, but I do not think that the outcomes were favorable.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lanesmith View Post
    This appears to share similar concepts with the (in)famed MAST Trousers. The big difference being this device situated at the umbilicus as opposed to the leg / pelvic portions of the MAST device.
    I don't think so. This point of this device appears to be actual aortic occlusion whereas the point of MAST was venous compression (and pelvic stabilization, I guess ), and compression/occlusion of lower extremity arteries would certainly be unhelpful in intra-abdominal hemorrhage.

If I emergently explore the abdomen in someone in hemorrhagic shock, the first thing I do is slide in the aortic compressor. Obviously, aortic compression has always had to wait for laparotomy (or thoracotomy). This looks to be a device that can be applied pre-hospital. If it works, it could definitely save lives in penetrating trauma.
    Last edited by Hmac; 01-14-12 at 17:23.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    In what situation would one apply this?
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    In what situation would one apply this?
    My guess would be pre-hospital, hemorrhagic shock with penetrating trauma to the abdomen or in the ER while getting ready to move the patient to the OR. I recently had a young man who shot himself in the abdomen with a .22. Took out the left iliac artery, he became unstable as soon as he hit the ER doors. Aortic occlusion with the aortic compressor describe above in the OR after opening him up likely saved his life, but I'm glad it didn't take any longer than it did to get him there. That situation strikes me as one where applying an external aortic "tourniquet" device as described in the Gizomdo article as soon as his vital signs started to tank might be useful.
    Last edited by Hmac; 01-14-12 at 17:26.

Feedback Score
    I'd like to test it but don't think its a great idea. Good thought but I'd like to know how it would affect someone's breathing. I would think airway pressures would increase and TV decrease. There isn't any point in stopping the bleeding if the person can't ventilate. I would like to see an injectable hemostatic agent like celox being used.

ER docs usually dont have a good concept of abdominal hemorrhage control or surgical/trauma critical care. The best thing to do is a thoracotomy w/ cross clamp which isn't really that hard to do but you do need some experience with it.

I'd like to see how it works out but the best thing is getting him to the surgeon (not ER Doc) ASAP. ER docs should really stick with what they know how to do best in a trauma situation...CALL THE TRAUMA SURGEON!!! heheheh
    Last edited by MAJK; 01-18-12 at 18:43.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm going to presume that adequate ventilation was high on their list of things to take into account when they designed the device.

That said, your concern reflects my concern about applicability in a population that leads the world in the incidence of obesity. Externally compressing an obese abdomen certainly can't help diaphragmatic excursion, but does it impair it enough to affect the usability of the thing? How about if PPV is being used? We'll see, I guess.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I'm going to presume that adequate ventilation was high on their list of things to take into account when they designed the device.

That said, your concern reflects my concern about applicability in a population that leads the world in the incidence of obesity. Externally compressing an obese abdomen certainly can't help diaphragmatic excursion, but does it impair it enough to affect the usability of the thing? How about if PPV is being used? We'll see, I guess.
    PPV doesnt matter if you restrict a persons lung capacity. Even with out being obese it will be hard to compress the abdomen that much to stop the bleeding. If the wound is under a soldiers plate the vascular injury is distal ... meaning the iliac artery and pelvic wounds. Your not going to compress that area. EDIT Proximal control would help if it does compress the aorta. Pelvic binder is for open book fractures and helps with venous bleeding. An injectable hemostatic agent would be my choice as long as it didn't make the abdomen into a big cement block.

Have someone stand on your stomach and take an opiate to further decrease your respiratory drive then see how you feel. The next thing these guys are going to invent is a tourniquet for your neck.
    Last edited by MAJK; 01-19-12 at 09:27.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAJK View Post
    PPV doesnt matter if you restrict a persons lung capacity. Even with out being obese it will be hard to compress the abdomen that much to stop the bleeding. If the wound is under a soldiers plate the vascular injury is distal ... meaning the iliac artery and pelvic wounds. Your not going to compress that area. Pelvic binder is for open book fractures and helps with venous bleeding. An injectable hemostatic agent would be my choice as long as it didn't make the abdomen into a big cement block.

Have someone stand on your stomach and take an opiate to further decrease your respiratory drive then see how you feel. The next thing these guys are going to invent is a tourniquet for your neck.
    So....it's impossible that this thing will work, huh?

While we're on the subject of...er...questionable concepts, tell me more about pumping the peritoneal cavity full of Celox, especially the part about how it won't make the abdominal cavity into a cement brick.

at the concept of paramedics squirting Celox into the peritoneal cavity. Good one. Assuming you're joking, of course.
    Last edited by Hmac; 01-18-12 at 21:04.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast