Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the smallest, useful handgun for discreet CCW?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The PPS seems to get all the chatter as the new hotness lately.

I made this for myself but never really intended to share it, so pardon the lack of fancy formatting.

chart

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Is the 342 worth the extra cost over the 642?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    To me, no.
    I'm on the fence on this, I just weighed both fully loaded with Speer 135 grains +P. The 342 was 13.70 oz and the 642 was 16.75 oz.

You do pay dearly to save those 3 ounces but I do like the wider black sight on the 342. My old eyes pick it up much easier.

If I had to pick today I'd go with the 642 and save the $300. It would be great if they offered the 642 with a pin on sight.
    Last edited by shootis; 01-17-12 at 07:42.

Feedback Score
    Ruger LCR in 357 flavor. Handles recoil 10X better than the lightweight smiths ( I own both) , has a better trigger pull ( but worse reset) and is only 19.2 Oz loaded with 125gr gold dots in .357
    Last edited by ericb; 01-17-12 at 10:06.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Rohrbaugh R9; not cheap, but works well and conceals very easily.

http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've tried a g27, S&W 642 and a keltec pf9. Right now I'm hooked on the 642. It seems to disappear in pocket with a good holster. It looks like you have keys in there.

The keltec was tiny and easy to hide but I don't like pocket carrying autos. For me the squared off back seems to make drawing them tricky while the 642 slides right out.

If I appendix carry the keltec's size was perfect for me. I just had some reliability issues with and sold it off. I suspect a walther pps would be my goto appendix carry if I bought one.

Feedback Score
    I had a KelTek P11 for a while as my main carry gun. Small, light and after the first 100 or so rounds it was flawless. Sold it to pick up my G27 because I liked the trigger much better on the Glock, but the P11 would just about disappear in a pocket, which is not as easy with the Glock.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I think I'm going with a 642. I never liked auto loaders for pocket carry for the reasons above. This isn't necessarily something I'd swim with but I think I could throw it in my pocket and it wouldn't raise any eyebrows
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Walther PPS...comparable to a J-frame in size with the capability to run either 9mm or .40. Can also be scaled 'up' for use as a primary handgun with factory extended mags and utilization of the light rail.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shootis View Post
    Is the 342 worth the extra cost over the 642?

I'm on the fence on this, I just weighed both fully loaded with Speer 135 grains +P. The 342 was 13.70 oz and the 642 was 16.75 oz.

You do pay dearly to save those 3 ounces but I do like the wider black sight on the 342. My old eyes pick it up much easier.

If I had to pick today I'd go with the 642 and save the $300. It would be great if they offered the 642 with a pin on sight.
    I have a 642. Keep selling them off, regret decision 6 months later, replace with another, keep for a couple of years then repeat the process. On my third and last 642. This one is staying put. Actually thinking about having it engraved with the following, "Do NOT sell me of stupid!"

I've shot the 642 next to the 342. With the same ammunition, I much prefer shooting the 642 vs. the 342. I then try carrying both guns. I notice the weight difference more when shooting than when carrying. My carry method for the 642/342 is front pocket carry, if that matters.

I like the sights of the 342, but not enough to justify the extra cost. I bought a bright orange paint marker made by Krylon. A dab on the front sight ramp and I can now see the sight. I was talking to a female officer who is assigned to our Firearms Training Unit about this. She enlightened me to fingernail polish markers. They apparently have an ultra small brush tip. This would also work.

I own a Kahr PM9. Great to carry, but almost too small. Not much to grab ahold of while under stress.

I've owned a Glock 26 since about two years after they were first introduced. I have a kydex pocket holster for it made by FIST. Great combo if you have a pocket large enough. For IWB carry, the Glock 26 steps aside for the Glock 19. I can conceal both equally with an IWB holster. So I'll take a G19 over a G26 for IWB carry.

I bought a Walther PPS 9mm last summer. Still warming up to this gun. About the same size and weight as the Glock 26, except it's about .25" thinner. (The Glock 26 is actually shorter in height when both guns have their shortest magazines in them.)

The PPS is pushing the envelope as being too big for a pocket gun, in my opinion. But for an IWB gun, it would just slip in there and you'd forget all about it. The PPS in a tuckable kydex IWB holster is a nice combination of small in size yet still able to handle and shoot effectively under stress gun and holster combo.

You also really have to take into consideration the physical build of the individual. I have friends big enough that a Glock 19 could almost become a pocket gun, and friends small enough that a Ruger LCP is pushing it.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 01-17-12 at 16:28.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the paint tip, I'll try that on the 642.

I have found the same problem on the Kahr PM9, for me there is not enough to grab in a hurry. I don't have any problems with j frames.

Good luck hanging onto the 342 this time,,

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast