Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: m4carbine.net Member Competition

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quick note:
    The 1/2 and 1/2 is not shot from a low alert (below 45 degrees).
    It's shot from a position that puts the muzzle just below the target with the shooter looking over the sight.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-oYRn_llgo

Starting from that low will blow the 5 yard time.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I think getting the word out a bit more will help as I ran across the challenge late as I rarely step into the competition forum.

I will also note that I like to shoot the VTAC drill or most drills, from a position where my muzzle is depressed to about 1 meter in front of the base of the target stand. This position is definitely a good bit lower than what is often suggested by many even in the original VTAC. I reference this position as I find that it is a good point where my muzzle is not covering something that it shouldn't be covering but it is still in a very advantageous position for me to quickly snap onto target to still achieve the hits I desire. I find that even from this slightly lower position, the mental process to fire and disengaging the safety, that I am still on target with desired accuracy in the same time frame (similar split times) than with the muzzle in the higher starting position suggested in the VTAC video. In other words the muzzle is on target before the mental process from the brain to the trigger finger takes place. In my latest video of the VTAC 1-5 drill on my channel, I can be seen on the 5 yard line starting too high and I consciously lower my muzzle to where I feel it needs to be as I wait for the beep.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Quick note:
    The 1/2 and 1/2 is not shot from a low alert (below 45 degrees).
    It's shot from a position that puts the muzzle just below the target with the shooter looking over the sight.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-oYRn_llgo

Starting from that low will blow the 5 yard time.
    Since we're only reporting times, all that matters is that we're all starting the same way. We're not using the par so there's nothing to "blow" really.

45* gives a consistent start position for each target, and a consistency between shooters.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Since we're only reporting times, all that matters is that we're all starting the same way. We're not using the par so there's nothing to "blow" really.

45* gives a consistent start position for each target, and a consistency between shooters.
    It's hard for a shooter to accurately gauge 45 degrees, whereas pointing at the bottom of the target is very repeatable.

Do it how you want, just sayin'.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Ultimately I don't think it matters. It's not for money or for blood.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Ultimately I don't think it matters. It's not for money or for blood.
    True.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I gave this some more thought when I was driving around at lunch.

Start position has always been a problem with carbine matches. With handgun it's easy because the gun is in a holster, and then it just becomes a matter of hand position, which can also be pretty easily mandated.

I wonder about maybe calling for an "indoor ready" start and defining it as having both wrists touching the body. Without having a rifle with me I can't really mock it up but I can't think of a way to accomplish "both wrists must be touching the body, muzzle oriented towards the ground" other than indoor ready.

and my "blood or money" comment should have come with one of these, so here it is

Feedback Score
    I would just like to say that I enjoyed the Feb drill and will continue. I thought it was fun to do a drill on a different type target as all of my practice has been on IDPA/IPSC targets, steel, and household items. I have never actually scored on bullseye type target and honestly never had to shoot a drill where the penalty rings started so close to the center. It made me concentrate more.
    You can never make anyting idiot-proof, whenever you get close they just build a better idiot.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567