Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: m4carbine.net Member Competition

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    It could go as far as having members send in their drill ideas and a Mod selecting each months drill.

"insert member name and drill name here" drill for Feb 2012
    This could easily become it's own forum section.

There could be tacked threads for the "February carbine drill of the month" and "February handgun drill of the month", and the only things posted in them are the drills and scores, no witty banter, no pissing and moaning.

Then there are threads for "March carbine drill of the month - suggestions" and "March handgun drill of the month- suggestions", and with one week way from the 1st a mod starts a thread with a poll "March carbine drill of the month - poll" wherein the top suggestions from the discussion thread are listed and voted on. Top votes wins.

I do NOT think we want to get all Obama on this and make the drills so lame that "anyone can do them". Make the drills - people that can do them will vote, etc. There may be months where it's a 200 yard drill and I can't/don't participate. There may be months when it's a 10 yards speed drill and someone else can't. Such is life.

Since I get grief for not offering to help around here, I so firmly believe in this I would be happy to help with moderation/posting/polling duties in whatever way I can.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Sounds good, let me see what I have time to work on later before tomorrow so we could run it.

Rob, if you want, post a course idea and with what target and we can see if it'll run for feb.

I'll sticky this for now and may move it over to the competition section and check to see if we can make a separate area for it. That may take some time.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Easiest, cheapest, most standard targets with the highest application to practical use:

B-8 bulls eye
    3x5 index cards
    5x8 index cards
    6" paper plates or steel
    8" paper plates or steel
    "C" Zone refaces or steel
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Sounds like a awesome but the long range competition only problem is my range is out to 200 yards....
    Last edited by chavez_e_chavez; 01-18-12 at 10:04.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yes, the B8 and B5's are very useful. IPSC's are another, maybe use those for longer ranges when incorporated.

I think posting pics and video would be a killer on bandwidth unless approved, that may not happen.

I'll suggest
    state the target(s) to be used
    state the course
    Shot within the calender month
    prefer to be witnessed by another member, not a requirement.
    simply submit the score, don't get into a pic thread with your gucci stick--just say 16" middy, iron sights or 20" rifle, T1

i, or someone else can move the score into one post and delete the member's post. I'm a computer dummy, so if someone would want to compile them into an excel, etc format and post that?
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chavez_e_chavez View Post
    Sounds like a awesome but the long range competition only problem is my range is out to 200 yards....
    I doubt it'll go over that as we can use a target that will be challenging.
    Please remember and this is one example, if your range only allows 25 yards, you will have to wait until we have a course with that only.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Here's my suggestion. It's a takeoff of the VTAC 1/2&1/2 Drill.

Carbine
    Distance: 5 Yards
    Round Count: 30
    Target: Link (and attached)
    Start Position: muzzle depressed at below 45* to the ground, stock in shoulder, hands on pistol grip and forend, looking over top of gun at target.
    Scoring: Go/No-Go, report time(s)

Fire 10 rounds into the 2" Circle. Record time.
    Fire 10 rounds into the 4" Circle. Record time.
    Fire 10 rounds into the 8" circle. Record time.
    All hits must be inside the circle, or breaking the line, to count.

Report fastest times for a full "go". Do not pick and choose this 2" time and that 8" time, but all times from the shortest overall clean run.

2" Time:
    4" Time:
    8" Time:
    # of attempts to get clean run:
    Carbine used:
    Modifications to stock Carbine:
    Ammo used:

Handgun
    Distance: 3 Yards
    Round Count: 30
    Target: Link (and attached)
    Start Position: Pistol holstered, hands at side.
    Scoring: Go/No-Go, report time(s)

Fire 10 rounds into the 2" Circle. Record time.
    Fire 10 rounds into the 4" Circle. Record time.
    Fire 10 rounds into the 8" circle. Record time.
    All hits must be inside the circle, or breaking the line, to count.

Report fastest times for a full "go". Do not pick and choose this 2" time and that 8" time, but all times from the shortest overall clean run. Report if shot from concealment or open carry.

2" Time:
    4" Time:
    8" Time:
    # of attempts to get clean run:
    Concealed/Open Carry:
    Pistol used:
    Modifications to stock pistol:
    Ammo used:
    Last edited by rob_s; 02-27-12 at 10:16.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The idea with the above is that it requires VERY little in the way of range lattitude. You could conceivably shoot it at an indoor range with a 9mm carbine or frangible ammo if they allow it. Alternately, you can shoot the handgun portion of the EXACT SAME DRILL.

It is also very simply scored as it is just a factor of fastest time for a clean run. No this or that, adding, calculus, percentages, hit factors, or vernal equinox required. Go/no-go? Go? record time.

It is also able to be shot over and over to improve your time. For anyone that hasn't shot this before they may not catch that they need to remember their offset for the 2" circle and possibly the 4" circle.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Rob_S... any chance I could talk you into scaling that up to 7 yards?

We can't shoot below 7 yards at the range I go to and the indoor range requires the use of their ammo. so this would be an expensive un-fun competition for me. Which means I would have to pass.

Also on attempts made. If you miss say one of your 2" shots. You just start over right? IOW, an attempt is not necessarily 30 rounds fired.

ETA: also how do you get that target to print at proper scale? Link is 403 for me.
    -------

Or maybe before you design all the comps perhaps take a running poll to see what sort of ranges participants would be able to shoot.

3 static
    3 movement
    7 static
    7 movement
    10 S
    10 M
    etc.

Minimum - Max - Pistol Range
    Min - Max - Rifle range
    Last edited by tb-av; 01-18-12 at 13:11.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    personally, as mentioned, I don't care if not everyone can shoot every single drill. This isn't welfare, or the government. This one may not work for someone, the next one might not work for me, the one after that may not work for someone else. It's just a fact of life.

There is no reason that, if someone wanted to, you couldn't hang the target at 7 and shoot it at 7, or grow the targets by double and shoot it that way, or whatever made them happy.

Remember also that people will have a MONTH to shoot these. Just because someone's regular range may not be friendly doesn't mean they can't go somewhere else and shoot it in an environment that will allow it.

I'll work on the link to the target. this is not THE drill, it's just A drill that I'm proposing.
    Last edited by rob_s; 01-18-12 at 13:28.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast