Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Paramedic

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I took the class. I'm a former LEO. Just a medic now. My agency has a team they are required to get TCLEOSE within a year of joining.
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sasage View Post
    Are you IAFF?
    Yes.

The position was negotiated for 10 or 11 years ago. I have been on the team for 8 now. The position is an integral part of the team, required to pass all qualifications bi-annually with a 90% MEUSOC (pistol and carbine) score, gas and less lethal training, CQB, Basic SWAT P.O.S.T certified, as well as attending TCCC and LETTC courses.

Originally we had 2 positions for medics, currently there is only one. I am striving to get another medic on the team. PD is in full support, however the cert pay is a hold up on the FD side.

The position has proven itself on countless occasions to increase the efficacy of the mission and provide care in the hostile tactical environment where regular street medics were not permitted or safe to enter.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Are you required to be armed?
    Interested as well. Also, what training is required?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm a Firefighter/Paramedic and SWAT Medic for our team in the City. The County has straight medics as well as FF/PM's on theirs. Only been on the team for a year but I love it

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by medic_ina_box View Post
    Popping my post cherry here! Are there any tactical medics on here? Wondering if yall are through a pd or fd.
    If like to see some more responses to this to hear how other places are doing it, so I'm bringing it back! I work for an urban EMS agency as EMS only (3rd party). We only do cold zone stuff while local PD has SWAT medics that are trained at varying levels from EMT to Paramedic that work in the hot zone. We also have local fire first response that, it seems, may be implemented to work in the warm zone.

Anyone have anything similar in their area?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Are you required to be armed?
    Interested as well.

Additionally, if you want a job that has you carrying a gun, why would you be a paramedic?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    if you want a job that has you carrying a gun, why would you be a paramedic?
    Huh?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Huh?

Hi Hmac,

Let me explain.

I wanted to carry a gun and shoot people. So I went to the USMC Recruiting Station and said "Hi, please sign me up for that 0300 contract." And then I went to Parris Island and got to carry a gun and shoot at people.

Now I want to not carry a gun, sit behind a desk, and get fat eating Doritos on a firm's dime. So I'm a CPA.

I did not say "I really want to get fat eating doritos, and sometimes have the opportunity to stand next to a guy with a gun that kinda watches over me in case anything bad goes down."

Why would anyone who wants to be involved in tactical operations become a paramedic and then try to get on to a SWAT unit/PD tactical medic position? Undoubtedly it would be easier to simply become a standard SWAT operator first, and then obtain adequate first aid training afterward. Alternatively, if you enjoy the medical side more, you can leave the gun to your weekend hobby and focus on first aid only while working as a paramedic taking old people to the hospital for leg pain.

Of course, the standard exceptions apply for green side corpsman who are phucking legit, but I am just trying to understand the premise behind the comments in this thread.

Regards,
    Euro
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Everybody who carries a gun does so because they want to shoot people? Cops carry a gun. Sometimes more than one. They became cops because they wanted to carry a gun and shoot people?

No, of course not. Real life ≠ USMC. Since becoming a CPA you may have noticed (I hope you've noticed) that in the civilian world it's mostly about NOT shooting people, or for some of us, it's about taking care of people after some miscreant has shot them.

Most of the people who make their living driving vehicles with lights and a siren get bored easily. For them, it's usually about doing an interesting job. Some Tac cops become medics because it's a dangerous job and somebody needs to do it. Some medics join tactical teams because it's more interesting than rolling your rig out on a little old lady that has fallen and can't get up.

Those medics on Tac teams may or may not be cops. Doesn't matter. They're there in that environment that is inherently more dangerous than your average MVA. They may not be trained or authorized to enforce the law, but surely they have the right to defend themselves?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    We might be arguing different points. Of course medics can and should defend themselves. I have no problem with ambulance drivers or recliner jockeys that are put in dynamic situations carrying guns, nor should anyone outside of litigious minded lawyers.

I'm simply curious why would someone who wants to be in the tactical realm go into the healthcare side to begin with? You make great points as to why a medic might opt for no longer wishing to load geriatric and bariatric on to beds any longer, but if that person wanted to be kicking in doors next to SWAT from the start why not just kick in doors?

I'm also not intending to be adversarial (ambulance driver joke not withstanding) so I hope we can approach the subject with a tone of enlightenment and education

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast