Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory XD-S, .45ACP single stack 5+1

Feedback Score
    Though I agree that a small 9 makes more sense, mostly, I wanted a small .45 for a specific purpose, and got a Kahr P45 to replace my Officer's model. The P45 has a 3.64" barrel, so it clocks a little faster than the closer to 3" PM45, and it's reportedly more reliable than the shorter gun.

Now I realize the Kahr's don't have a sterling rep, but neither do the Springfield XD's. My experience with the PM45, consists of my best friend's that has worked flawlessly since he took it out of the box, and mine, which shit the bed when I got it, (my usual luck), went back to Kahr, and has now gone 1200 rounds+ malfunction free. I really didn't expect to like the Kahr, but it's actually grown on me. I've been carrying it a lot lately.

XD-S 5+1
    Kahr PM45 5+1
    Kahr P45 6+1

Overall length
    XD-S 6.3"
    PM45 5.67"
    P45 6.07"

Barrel length
    XD-S 3.3"
    PM45 3.14"
    P45 3.64"

Height
    XD-S 4.4"
    PM45 4.49"
    P45 4.8"

Weight
    XD-S 29 oz
    PM45 17.3 oz
    P45 18.5 oz
    * Kahr weights are without mags, not sure on the XD-S. The Kahr mags weigh 2 oz if the XD-S weight includes mag.

29 oz unloaded would take the XD-S out of the "pocket pistol" category for me.
    Last edited by Jake'sDad; 01-21-12 at 02:19.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake'sDad View Post
    Though I agree that a small 9 makes more sense, mostly, I wanted a small .45 for a specific purpose, and got a Kahr P45 to replace my Officer's model. The P45 has a 3.64" barrel, so it clocks a little faster than the closer to 3" PM45, and it's reportedly more reliable than the shorter gun.

Now I realize the Kahr's don't have a sterling rep, but neither do the Springfield XD's. My experience with the PM45, consists of my best friend's that has worked flawlessly since he took it out of the box, and mine, which shit the bed when I got it, (my usual luck), went back to Kahr, and has now gone 1200 rounds+ malfunction free. I really didn't expect to like the Kahr, but it's actually grown on me. I've been carrying it a lot lately.

XD-S 5+1
    Kahr PM45 5+1
    Kahr P45 6+1

Overall length
    XD-S 6.3"
    PM45 5.67"
    P45 6.07"

Barrel length
    XD-S 3.3"
    PM45 3.14"
    P45 3.64"

Height
    XD-S 4.4"
    PM45 4.49"
    P45 4.8"

Weight
    XD-S 29 oz
    PM45 17.3 oz
    P45 18.5 oz
    * Kahr weights are without mags, not sure on the XD-S. The Kahr mags weigh 2 oz if the XD-S weight includes mag.

29 oz unloaded would take the XD-S out of the "pocket pistol" category for me.
    You forgot one major thing...that Kahr cost about 800 bucks. I'm not saying you shouldn't pay a little more for something you are staking your life on. But I personally wouldn't pay that much for something I knew didn't have a good track record. The Springfield will probably be around 550 or less. And since when have XD's gotten a bad rep. My XDm has over 3 thousand round boxes without a hiccup. Is there something I'm missing?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    ATTENTION: What you just read may very well contain sarcasm! Judge me accordingly.

Feedback Score
    I own a XD 5" Tactical .40 S&W and I recently purchased a XDS .40. I have shot more then 2500 rounds thru the 5" and the only problem I had was a FTE due to the lack of proper cleaning. I shot 500 rounds thru it that afternoon. I forgot to clean it from the shooting session the weekend before. Gotta love frog lube. So as 2theXtreme has asked are we missing something about them.

I for one will wait and see how this XDS .45 runs. I would like to go and rent one to see how it shoots. I like the idea of a small .45 but I am thinking that beings this is the first of its kind there might be some bugs in it. Time will only tell what this handgun will do.
    WFD
    EMR
    FF

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2theXtreme View Post
    You forgot one major thing...that Kahr cost about 800 bucks. I'm not saying you shouldn't pay a little more for something you are staking your life on. But I personally wouldn't pay that much for something I knew didn't have a good track record. The Springfield will probably be around 550 or less.
    I didn't pay close to 800 for my Kahr. The CW45 version is even cheaper, sub 400 bucks. I doubt there's 100 bucks difference in wholesale between the XD and the PM45.

Quote Originally Posted by 2theXtreme View Post
    And since when have XD's gotten a bad rep. My XDm has over 3 thousand round boxes without a hiccup. Is there something I'm missing?
    I have a little personal knowledge of the XD not doing well in some LE testing, but I also know guys that have had great luck with them. Nether of them seem to be a common go to gun for for the guys in the know.

Feedback Score
    I have a little personal knowledge of the XD not doing well in some LE testing, but I also know guys that have had great luck with them. Nether of them seem to be a common go to gun for for the guys in the know.
    I am curious as to what LE test was done. Can you provide a link to an article or to the actual testing done.
    WFD
    EMR
    FF

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonRat View Post
    I am curious as to what LE test was done. Can you provide a link to an article or to the actual testing done.
    Nothing I can post.

Maybe Doc can.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.p...45&postcount=2

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Smaller than an LC9? Holy hell! Impressed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    Smaller than an LC9? Holy hell! Impressed.
    Except it's really not......

Feedback Score
    I am not understanding why you are unable to back up what you have said about the parts failing on the XD/M in a LE tests. I read what Doc wrote about them. Doesn't really say much about what parts failed. And how the pistols were tested. Thats what I would like to know. Is this pistol testing a secret and can't be talked about.

Here's a link you might like. It gives the good and bad about them and alot of the stuff people are saying are not true. Just more of what someone told them or they read online. There's also a part about what Doc said as to why he doesn't like them. That they can't be minipulated by your off hand or by one hand at all. The gentleman that started the thread is a LEO and he has had Glocks, M&P's , Sig's, and XD/M both as personal firearms and duty weapons. And no I am not trying to change your mind or argue with you. I know my XD has some minor problems even Glock has some too. I just want you to be able to answer my question which you seem not to be able to.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general...ional-use.html
    WFD
    EMR
    FF

Feedback Score
    I am not understanding why you are unable to back up what you have said about the parts failing on the XD/M in a LE tests.
    Wanna point out where I said that?

I said I have some personal knowledge of them not doing well in some LE tests. Personal knowledge....conversations, guys I know, etc. It was a passing reference. Probably much like Doc's where he said....

XD's are a no go for serious use--the inability to retract the slide without engaging the grip safety makes one-hand injured operation very difficult with the XD--this is a deal breaker for me. In addition, in some government tests, XD's (particularly the .40's) have broken a lot of parts compared to other pistols being tested...I'll take a 9 mm Glock or M&P any day of the week over an XD.
    So if your torqued about part's breakage on XD's not being "backed up", ask Doc, he's the one who said it.

But you might not want to use that terminology with him.....

Is this pistol testing a secret and can't be talked about.
    No secret, just don't want to throw out info guys I know, gave me, out on the net. Agencies are funny about that. Again...maybe the same reasons Doc didn't link to the testing he was referring to. If you're LE, PM me your department contact info and I'll see if I can hook you up with someone that feels like sharing data with you.

Here's a link you might like. It gives the good and bad about them and alot of the stuff people are saying are not true. Just more of what someone told them or they read online. There's also a part about what Doc said as to why he doesn't like them. That they can't be minipulated by your off hand or by one hand at all. The gentleman that started the thread is a LEO and he has had Glocks, M&P's , Sig's, and XD/M both as personal firearms and duty weapons. And no I am not trying to change your mind or argue with you. I know my XD has some minor problems even Glock has some too. I just want you to be able to answer my question which you seem not to be able to.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general...ional-use.html
    So at the XD forums, they think their gun is great and isn't getting a fair shake?

Yer kiddin'!!!!

So do you have an explanation of why the XD is so absent on the lists of LE issued guns?

Conspiracy? Croatian prejudice?

Pal, I got no dog in the fight here. I'm glad you're happy with your XD's. I have friends that have had good luck with theirs. Just like I've had mainly good luck with my Kahr PM45, (for a specific purpose), even though like the XD, they don't seem to have sterling reputations with LE.

But if I were back kicking doors again, I probably wouldn't carry either one.
    Last edited by Jake'sDad; 01-22-12 at 02:22.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast