Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The 300 BLK conspiracy continues...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    The 6.8 could possible have blown up as much but Remington ass ****ed it by screwing up the chamber print [ala spec II chamber]. Yrs after the the initial hype of the chambering had passed .
    The SPC-II chamber is better than SAAMI, but that is not why 6.8 has been limited. I would say it is ammo price, needing special mags and bolts, etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    The SPC-II chamber is better than SAAMI, but that is not why 6.8 has been limited. I would say it is ammo price, needing special mags and bolts, etc.
    Yes that did some what contribute to it.... But that is not the whole story the 6.8spc and the 300blk CAN NOT be compared directly they were designed for different purposes. What can be compared is there entail release to the public. The 300 whisper had many yrs of out side development before AAC released it the 6.8 on the other hand was thrown out and the velocity did not match the entail claims of Remington [ala the spec II chamber] yrs after the initial hype of the cartridge release. History has proven that the entail cartridge release play's a very big part on how the cartridge is accepted by the public...
    Last edited by Thomas M-4; 01-20-12 at 00:20.

Feedback Score
    Also, 6.8 was a 24" barrel in SAAMI. So velocity specs were reported for 24 inch barrels - and most people had 16 inch barrels.

300 BLK was put into SAAMI as a 16 inch barrel - so the velocity specs are always able to be met.

Feedback Score
    Also, 6.8 was a 24" barrel in SAAMI. So velocity specs were reported for 24 inch barrels - and most people had 16 inch barrels.

300 BLK was put into SAAMI as a 16 inch barrel - so the velocity specs are always able to be met.
    That is just another way Remington screwed the pooch on the initial release of the 6.8 for the saami spec to the general public. The original spec didn't call for a 24" barrel for the velocities. The specII chamber & pressure matched ammo does very good out of SBR length barrels. Again the 6.8 spc and the 300 blk can not be compared ballistics head to head they are for 2 different purposes.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I think the confusion with chamber dimensions and if the correct ammunition was being purchased by consumers added to it all. I like my 6.8 but will state that for what I'm using it for, the 300blk is the more sensible option.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don't even see this in the same realm as 6.8 at all, other than comparing the marketing successes/failures. I've come to see arguing about them ballistically as a red herring, but a great way to keep discussion alive for the marketing machine.

Kevin, or someone at AAC, is a marketing genius. This we already know. The lifestyle marketing campaign that they waged with their cans was AWESOME, both in scope and in effect. They should be a case study in any college marketing class, and would make a great thesis/dissertation topic for someone. If it wasn't on purpose and calculated they really stepped into some good shit.

re: the caliber itself, I go back and forth. I *want* to like it (maybe that's the residuals of the jedi mind trick ****ing with me, like the $100 bill in Firestarter) but I have a damn hard time figuring out what I'd do with it. So when I see someone rabidly nipping at it's heels I keep asking "why" hoping they've maybe locked in to what I'm not seeing, only to be met with animosity and vitriol, which I suppose gives me all the answer I need as to their "why".

One thing I did finally figure out, most people don't shoot. Given that having a $2k 5.56 gun sitting in the safe with a $1k+ can on it isn't any less expensive than having the $2k 300 sitting in the safe with a $1k can on it. And when you're only ever going to buy two boxes of ammo for it to fill your "go to" mags, even the ammo cost increase is negligible. Oh, and it doesn't recoil more, 'cause only pussies mention the recoil.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    I think the confusion with chamber dimensions and if the correct ammunition was being purchased by consumers added to it all. I like my 6.8 but will state that for what I'm using it for, the 300blk is the more sensible option.
    To compare them further in terms of marketing...

the magazine availability thing is the killer for 6.8 IMO. There just aren't any acceptable options out there.

With the 300 using a standard magazine (or hoping to) that's a huge hurdle overcome. So it's really not about not having to buy new magazines, it's simply the fact that you can get acceptable magazines for $12/ea vs. the crap shoot at 3x the price.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I don't even see this in the same realm as 6.8 at all, other than comparing the marketing successes/failures.
    I agree completely. Let's keep this on the subject of rsilvers mind control powers and the 300 BLK conspiracy.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    To compare them further in terms of marketing...

the magazine availability thing is the killer for 6.8 IMO. There just aren't any acceptable options out there.

With the 300 using a standard magazine (or hoping to) that's a huge hurdle overcome. So it's really not about not having to buy new magazines, it's simply the fact that you can get acceptable magazines for $12/ea vs. the crap shoot at 3x the price.
    ???

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=2725

In-stock ready to be ordered from several different vendors.... Lowest price I've seen was $13 highest $18. First batch was a spotty, but the reports I've seen since then seem positive.

I've had good luck with the dozen or so PRI mags I have, the Barrett mags were hit or miss, but are supposedly in a re-design phase right now.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I wouldn't be surprised if the .300 pops up in the .MIL world. Not in the Big "M" world but some of the more cool guy units.

Quote Originally Posted by MK18Pilot View Post
    ...and I have the POTENTIAL to become the next owner of AAC. Keep on guessing.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast