Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Need Help Making a Chest Rig Decision

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    A Giff said, I am a big MAV rig fan. Eagle is tied with them as my other favorite gear line though. Hard to go wrong with either.

Cohiba.... where did you score a MC M4FB at??
    Hey Hawk,

Eagle does an amazing amount of special runs for dealers as long as you buy a minimum (as Giff can attest) This particular run was for Steve at www.triadtactical.com. An awesome guy to deal with like Joe at SKD and our own Giffmonster.

I'm working on a group pic of all of my Multicam. It's like crack only more expensive and legal. I keep trying stuff trying to find the perfect set up with the intention of selling the old...and then I never sell the freaking old. Here's a partial pic. I need help.

"No you don't, sunshine"

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I am familiar with Eagle and custom runs, and Giff, and Joe, and Steve........
    I talked Giff into getting Eagle to do a run of Khaki fanny packs a couple of years ago.

Giff, we may need to talk......again....
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Mag retention

I have an Eagle/SKD rig. I have used it in a couple of classes, and I like it but it doesn't have any form of retention for the AR mags. The pistol mag pouches on the front have flaps that fold over, but the center AR mag pouches don't have any sort, as some of you may be aware. What is the best way to go about adding something for retention. I have thought about putting some bungee cord with tabs on. Is it possible to buy Kydex inserts for the pouches? If would rather have nothing that goes over the top of the mags, but if there is no other alternative, I may have to re-evaluate another rig.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    IMHO that's alot of stuff to stick on a basic chest rig. I found that the benefit of the chest rig is keeping it simple. I'd at least 86 the idea of suppressor pouches (frankly I don't much see the point in them anyway).

The Eagle M4FB is what I run, and I keep it very simple with the 3 rifle mag pouches it comes with and a single pistol mag on the support side. I may add a surefire pouch to the strong side, but I really like to keep it streamlined.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    IMHO that's alot of stuff to stick on a basic chest rig. I found that the benefit of the chest rig is keeping it simple. I'd at least 86 the idea of suppressor pouches (frankly I don't much see the point in them anyway).

The Eagle M4FB is what I run, and I keep it very simple with the 3 rifle mag pouches it comes with and a single pistol mag on the support side. I may add a surefire pouch to the strong side, but I really like to keep it streamlined.

I was just planning on have some rifle mags a pistol mag or two a suppressor and a flashlight.

The rigs I'm looking at have enough space for all that.

I probably won't have all that stuff on it at the same time. I should have clarified that in the OP.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I also want something in light brown, coyote, or tan, etc.

No camo, green, or black.

I was also looking at the STS X harness.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

I agree with Rob and got the Eagle M4FB. Here is my current setup, but I'm waiting on a M9 Mag Pouch to mount on the strong side for a SF G2 (that you see on the weak side in a double M9 pouch) Once I get it configured, the double M9 pouch will carry (2) 1911 Mags. (I like those a little loose).

Very simple, and light. This rig resides in my "Grab and Go" rifle case.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    How is the retention of the mags on the built in Eagle pouches compared to the TT pouches.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If I were you, I'd go with a MAV chest rig with all MOLLE webbing front.

The only reason being that if it is your intent to carry 6 mags, and all that other stuff, you should not have to "double up" your pouches. The M4 FB, from Eagle, is an OK option, but the webbing is only 3 columns on each side of the mags, this means you can only put 5 on, before you have to double-thick your rig. Chest rigs are hard enough to go prone on, no reason to make it harder.

Also, as far as pouches go, I'd get the Eagle FB pouches (they are available for AR mags, 1911 mags, and double stack pistol mags), they have kydex inserts, which means mags are retained with no need for flaps. You can put 6 of these center, 2 pistol mags on the left side, and 2 suppressor pouches on the other side, no problem.

If you buy the Eagle FB, you will have to start doubling up your pouches, not to mention I'm not sure if you could even get all that on one of them, they are pretty small horizontally.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think the TT MAV and Mini-MAV work well. I have a Mini with just 3 M16 mags and two pistol pouches. Even though they have retention tabs, they are easily moved off to the side and retention is still very good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast