Thread: micro chip in HK45?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

micro chip in HK45?

In the middle of installing an LEM kit in my friend's HK45 and found this:

Looks like a chip?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Although I do not have an HK45 (yet!!), I read some time ago on the HKPro forum that it is a RFID chip that can be read for total number of weapon discharges, round count, time of discharges, etc. I believe they are mostly used by LE organizations.

I'm sure someone may have a more definatve answer, but that's what I read on the internet, so it must be true.
    The Black Chinooks are not inbound!
    Regards,
    Ranger325

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger325 View Post
    Although I do not have an HK45 (yet!!), I read some time ago on the HKPro forum that it is a RFID chip that can be read for total number of weapon discharges, round count, time of discharges, etc. I believe they are mostly used by LE organizations.

That's exactly what it is and what it's used for. It's no big deal, big brother is watching you or anything. When they first came to light everyone thought this was going to be a way for the gov to track their actions or something. It's won't do anything like that.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    A brief application of some 110-volt AC love ought to relieve that gun of its record-keeping responsibilities.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger325 View Post
    it is a RFID chip that can be read for total number of weapon discharges, round count, time of discharges, etc. I believe they are mostly used by LE organizations.
    After doing more research I came to the same conclusion. And the idiots over at hkpro all make smart-ass comments. Glad I got rid of my HK's.

Feedback Score
    That's an expensive chip if it has logic to track all that. Are you guys sure it's not just used for inventory control while in the HK system?
    Last edited by JHC; 01-19-12 at 14:00.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The chip is simply used to store certain information. This information must be manually input using an RFID device, otherwise the chip will read blank. Common uses for this device are to manually input the rounds fired, maintenance performed, the serial number of the weapon, the department assigned, and the officer assigned the weapon. The device does not automatically detect the number of weapon discharges (It does not detect movement to the best of my knowledge) and as such round counts must be manually input upon return to the armorer.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Lightbulb

"In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BH321 View Post
    The chip is simply used to store certain information. This information must be manually input using an RFID device, otherwise the chip will read blank. Common uses for this device are to manually input the rounds fired, maintenance performed, the serial number of the weapon, the department assigned, and the officer assigned the weapon. The device does not automatically detect the number of weapon discharges (It does not detect movement to the best of my knowledge) and as such round counts must be manually input upon return to the armorer.
    Ahhhh I see. Thanks. A lot handier log than my Excel spreadsheet.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BH321 View Post
    This.

If it is a concern it comes right off with a small flat head screwdriver as it's only got a drop of adhesive on it's back, it's not actually molded into the weapon.

My curiosity got the best of me one day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast