Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AMD 65 Hungary AK

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by et2041 View Post
    Ouch...might be better to either trade/sell the fixed for a folder then.
    It is possible to do the retrofit of the triangle stock but it is easier and almost cheaper to build a gun from the ground up with the right receiver and trunnion from the get go...

Spooky

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The AMD is probably the least ergonomic AK I've ever used. The wire stock manages to suck worse than the Romanian wire folder, and the standard front handguard/grip isnt great. And once youve got that big muzzle brake permanently attached to keep legal length, youre losing much of the only real advantage the AMD ever really offered: compact size.

Here's a guy who swapped the handguard of his AMD (photo borrowed from another site) for a more effective one that will accept a light. Still a no frills, compact weapon, but the wire stock leaves a lot to be desired.

Feedback Score
    I would get one if it weren't for the HUGE permanently attached muzzle break. The stock sucks too, but l'm sure there are ways around that.

Feedback Score
    Perhaps not exactly what you had in mine, but there is an interesting article on the NYT War Blog about the AMD-65 (full-military model) being used by the Afghan forces - and the complaints they have about the weapon.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    As far as the muzzle break, mine has just got a small tack weld under neath the barrel and it should be fairly easy to cut the weld with a dremel when I SBR the rifle.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason0311 View Post
    As far as the muzzle break, mine has just got a small tack weld under neath the barrel and it should be fairly easy to cut the weld with a dremel when I SBR the rifle.
    If your is anything like mine, the weld will break in the first few hundred rounds you put through it. David

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by et2041 View Post
    Ouch...might be better to either trade/sell the fixed for a folder then.
    You can cut the rivets and press in new rivets. Not difficult.
    Last edited by tresmonos; 01-23-12 at 18:57.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky130 View Post
    It is possible to do the retrofit of the triangle stock but it is easier and almost cheaper to build a gun from the ground up with the right receiver and trunnion from the get go...

Spooky
    And you don't risk damage to the receiver when built up correctly from the start.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tresmonos View Post
    And you don't risk damage to the receiver when built up correctly from the start.
    Very true. I think that's why retrofitting them is so expensive - not every AK hack can remove trunnions and still use the receiver afterward!

Spooky

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    I think I will stick with my Arsenal Bulgarian SLR 107UR SBR and my Romanian Draco SBR for now.
    Been looking at the Mini Draco. But that handguard would have to go.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast