Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trends/new-hotness for 2012?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Trends/new-hotness for 2012?

Perusing the various blogs and posts, it appears that there are a couple of trends from this year's show, but oddly not really being recognized as such yet. I'm seeing quite a few new Brazilian rails (you know, slick), looks like there's a few new cans, and everyone and their mother is putting something out in 300 (but not sure if that's real or just perception due to the 300 marketing machine).

Anyone there seeing any trends popping up across various manufacturers.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Anyone there seeing any trends popping up across various manufacturers.
    Yeah, ****ing zombies. I can't believe that even a company like eotech would jump on zombie bandwagon.

That and featherweight plate carriers.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 01-20-12 at 06:20.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There wasn't as much 300BLK as I thought there would be.

Minimalist plate carriers was one trend I saw. I don't understand it, but it was there.

I held a ton of new slick rails. MI actually has a pretty nice one as well as noveske. I still think the MFR is the best deal going.

A lot of bolt gun chassis systems.

Red dot milling services was big. ZEV has their act together, their silicon carbide grip is incredible, as well as the trigger and milling services.

High range variable optics, I handled all of them, and actually wasn't overly impressed with any of them.

Some more .308 gas guns.

The piston revolution is still strong. I glad I hopped off that train when I did.

Quite a few new AK improvements if your into that.

Oh yeah, and zombie everything.
    Last edited by goteron; 01-20-12 at 06:19.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I was expressly ignoring the Zombie thing. Corporate involvement in this is an indicator of shark-jumping like when you're a kid and suddenly your mom likes the same band as you.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    There is a lot of action in the 7.62 NATO segment as well. Established players like LaRue and LMT offering variations of their product line, KAC completely revamping their entire line, Colt (maybe, finally, for real) releasing the 901, Armalite offering a Pmag compatible lower, and some other people moving into that segment.

If you want a .30 cal AR, either in .300 BLK or 7.62 NATO, 2012 is your year.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I was expressly ignoring the Zombie thing. Corporate involvement in this is an indicator of shark-jumping like when you're a kid and suddenly your mom likes the same band as you.
    Sadly my mom never got into Metallica.....

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    That and featherweight plate carriers.
    I'm not sure I understand this trend at all...why would a plate carrier be marketed for its "reduced weight"??? I can understand if they were saying that its primary goal was to be lower profile or better air flow for breathability, but once you add armor, pouches, mags, and all the other sh*t people put on PC's, how the hell will you tell the difference in 8oz worth of less material??

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand this trend at all...why would a plate carrier be marketed for its "reduced weight"??? I can understand if they were saying that its primary goal was to be lower profile or better air flow for breathability, but once you add armor, pouches, mags, and all the other sh*t people put on PC's, how the hell will you tell the difference in 8oz worth of less material??
    Because manufacturers make more money on big mil contracts than they do on individual purchases.

And "military" is almost synonymous with SOCOM since they're the only folks who actually have money to spend. Also, what SOCOM uses eventually filters down to the rest of the military.

Ounces add up to pounds, whether you're patrolling at 10,000 ft in Afghanistan or working with aircraft (that may also have to operate at high altitude thereby reducing performance)

Nylon is much easier to reduce weight compared to trying to cut weight from things like batteries or anything made of metal.

I spoke to a guy who wanted to change his unit's procurement process so that everything would have a weight listed so that you can do an immediate comparison with all items in a particular category. For example; HK M4 mag vs Magpul PMAG- but this would filter down to any and everything an end user might be using to include the weight of a wrist watch...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    The one I've noticed recently has already been mentioned - slick smaller diameter rails with add-on panels. Look what Troy started!
    Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    The one I've noticed recently has already been mentioned - slick smaller diameter rails with add-on panels. Look what Clark/Hiperform/PRI started!
    fixed

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast