Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Trends/new-hotness for 2012?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Some buddies and I were out shooting suppressed in the woods, and they kept thinking the ping on my M4/SPR mount was a ricochet.

Speaking of, it doesn't look like AAC will have a reflex style can at all now that they are ditching their MITER cans (unless I missed it). So it seems like reflex mounted cans are the un-hotness. Is this a fall out of ever longer rails and more and more people getting into SBRs?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    It's normal with electronics, cars, etc. Not sure why some see improvements as such a bad thing with silencers.

I mean does my older car stop doing what I bought it for because the 2012 model came out with more HP and better mileage?
    Todd nails it. I am in the same boat as a lot of people. I have a 762SDN6 that is in BATF limbo. (Sent forms ~Aug)
    I saw the SR7 announcement, and it's kind of annoying seeing the latest and greatest come out while you're still waiting.

There's always going to be something new coming out. I don't think we want companies to stop innovating. If anything we need to get BATF to dislodge whatever has stopped the cogs from moving. I remember just a few years ago my forms clearing in ~30 days. My TiRant 45 took ~5 months. This wouldn't be as big of an issues IMO if F4s came back promptly.

Also, SilencerCo absolutely hits it out of the park with the Saker. If for nothing else capitalizing on the fact that they can use third party mounts. Especially now that AAC seems to be migrating away from 51T.
    Last edited by tctlrld; 01-20-12 at 15:10.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    In the product/electronics design industry we refer to this as "Early Adopter Tax"
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Surefire has not changed mounts 3 times in the past 5 years.

And none of their mounts have any wobble.
    Two changes. And wasn't the 18t like the second or third QD centerfire ever?
    The 51t was made because of some 18t loosening under hard use.
    The 90t Taper was made for the people who don't like any wobble.

Does it suck to not have the latest? Sure it does, but the idea that making something better = trying to F over customers with the old design is too much.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockWRX View Post
    So it seems like reflex mounted cans are the un-hotness. Is this a fall out of ever longer rails and more and more people getting into SBRs?
    Yes and Yes!

I can't wait for this fad to fade!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have an M4-2000 and an SDN6. All of my rifles have 51T mounts and I'm still glad to see AAC innovating. Product evolution is good for all of us.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm waiting for the 120 toofus mount.

(next year)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    It's normal with electronics, cars, etc. Not sure why some see improvements as such a bad thing with silencers.

I mean does my older car stop doing what I bought it for because the 2012 model came out with more HP and better mileage?
    Because, silencers are seen as lifelong commitments. And to see a company constantly change stuff before most people get the original version is understandably annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Ouch! I like the potential... but not the price.
    Not a horrible price, especially considering it comes w/ a FH.

M4-2K MSRP is $1050. Add in a $100 for a FH, you're up to $1150. $50 difference considering the ability to use multiple QD mounts is totally worth it in my eyes. I would have liked it to be closer in size to the -212. Maybe by the time I can actually get a can, it will be.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Man... I see a lot of people crying about it on the forums. I kinda like it myself.
    Exactly, I have had several blackouts on my rifles, and if I even notice the "ping", it never bothers me in the least. I just would have thought that after the millionth..."just installed a blackout and it's making a weird tuning fork noise" thread, AAC and anybody who makes one like it would have listened.

The only way I'll ever dive into the minutia and endless debates over these latest wizz bang suppressors is if they become non NFA items.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The one I've noticed recently has already been mentioned - slick smaller diameter rails with add-on panels. Look what Troy popularized!
    Fixed
    Ken in Texas

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast