Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Learning" from Paula Deen (what not to do...)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    The South has the highest obesity rates for a reason.
    and the highest stroke rates of anywhere in the world.... the grease belt
    When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.. - Ronald Reagan

smoke and drink and screw..that's what I was born to do.. - Steel Panther

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    Welcome to America Mr. Brink. Isnt that what most lazy-fat-americans do?
    Actively promote garbage food for a living via TV, tell people it's not a problem to eat it, get diabetes, and sign a large contract with a drug company that sells diabetes meds? No.

Get diabetes due being fat and lazy and other factors? Yes. One of those factors being, sleazbags like Deen given cooking shows.

Deen is a symptom, not a cause per se, of the larger issue, but that does not mean she's not a sack of crap of a human being.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagans Rascals View Post
    I do agree for the most part, however I do blame the societal acceptance of terrible advice squirted from the lips of the media for how the health standard in the US has plummeted from the fit and trim GI's of the 40s to the fat and sedentary blobs of today
    The fact is, the fit and trim GI's of the 40s ate more like Paula Deen than the healthy food fetishists of today. They just used their body more and/or didn't eat as much. I grew up among a bunch of physically hard SOBs who used their bodies hard and ate an enormous amount of high fat foods. Very few of which developed any dietary related problems into old age.

My best friend is a 6' 115 pound female, who cooks with lard.

I have a high fat/high veggie diet, and am just about in ideal shape for a 22 year old male. Oh. And I'm 48 years old. Maybe I should start marketing a "1940s diet" or something....

But the combination of super-sendentary/high fat food lifestyle is a guaranteed killer, evidently.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    It's a shame she has done this to herself. I can see Bordain's point. He has an abrupt personality anyway ( which is not necessarily a sign of an uncaring person ). A lot of those chefs on the TV have some serious dues they have paid in learning their craft.

I'm not saying you have to be formally trained to be good or even great but I don't see her style as anything to write home about.

Deen comes up with things that I would associate with children "inventing" in the kitchen on a rainy Saturday afternoon.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMRHGW_K-M8.
    Last edited by tb-av; 01-22-12 at 07:53. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    This is the same as people saying McDonalds got them fat and McDonalds is responsible.

Paula made a very lucrative career cooking and sharing recipes, she didn't force anyone into anything. She didn't offer herself the drug contract, a company did, is that her fault?

People just need to be responsible for their own actions and "Play 60" or "Eat Fresh". I dont care if this kills her it won't affect me and I'm not on any of Paulas diet plans.

I hope no one spills hot coffee on themselves and blames McDonalds because it was hot.
    Full-time LEO

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I don't think it's a case of the McDonald's anaology. I think she's very hypocritical...."here, eat my good-tastin' but horribly-fattenin' food, I want ya to eat it, but myself, I am diabetic and I'll still eat it even though I know what it's doing my body and yours!"

I see it not as McDonald's-making-people-fat, more of a 3-pach a day smoker trying to give classes on how to stop smoking. (BTW, I understand she's a heavy smoker, too).

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    I see it not as McDonald's-making-people-fat, more of a 3-pach a day smoker trying to give classes on how to stop smoking. (BTW, I understand she's a heavy smoker, too).
    The disturbing thing is, she is being interviewed and adamantly stating that there really is no problem with her eating style because she has "always" eaten in moderation.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Bourdain may be a jerk sometimes, but I would 10 to 1 rather watch his show, than see Deen hugging on her son, deep frying whatever. I dont think "moderation" when I look at her.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    I hope no one spills hot coffee on themselves and blames McDonalds because it was hot.
    I think you need to review that case a little more thoroughly because you obviously never picked up on the actual facts of the matter, which was that McDonalds brewed and kept their coffee at over 190 degrees Fahrenheit.

That would burn your esophagus horrendously if you drank it that hot, let alone spilled it in your lap because they gave it to you with the wrong size lid. The woman who brought that suit against them was 79 years old and suffered 3rd degree burns on her lap... I have spilled home brewed coffee on myself more than once and have never even come close to that kind of injury.

McDonald's simply made the woman into a quack and made the trial out to be a farce... which it was not.

There is a major major difference between "hot" coffee, and partially boiling coffee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck...;s_Restaurants

During the case, Liebeck's attorneys discovered that McDonald's required franchisees to serve coffee at 180–190 °F (82–88 °C). At that temperature, the coffee would cause a third-degree burn (where skin grafting in necessary) in two to seven seconds.
    yeah its really the 79 year old ladies fault right?
    Last edited by Reagans Rascals; 01-22-12 at 09:06.
    When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.. - Ronald Reagan

smoke and drink and screw..that's what I was born to do.. - Steel Panther

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagans Rascals View Post
    yeah its really the 79 year old ladies fault right?
    I'll man up and say I didnt know all the facts in that case. It was a case I heard in passing

I will also say, however, it just reaffirms my notion that I dont depend on workers at McDonalds, Hardees, BK, or anywhere else to do things perfectly. I always check lids on coffee which states "Hot" so I dont burn myself, and on soft drinks so I dont spill on my leather.

I take onus on my own life. I dont rely on Emeril to tell me what to eat to be healthy. I dont rely on Red Jacket to tell me what firearms I should use in self defense. Paula cooks for a living it doesnt mean she should be listened to on health. Plaxico carried a gun, I wont be listening to him on CCW techniques. I will listen to Paula on how to prepare a turkey and to Burress on how to run a deep out pattern.

An alarming portion of Americans are getting soft and looking for a reason not to take responsibility for themselves and their actions.
    Last edited by Smash; 01-22-12 at 11:02.
    Full-time LEO

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast