Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 MM

Feedback Score

6.5 MM

I have been tossing the idea around in my head that i need a new rifle, something that would be fun to shoot long range and use for hunting. Most recently i have been looking into the 6.5 area cartridges like the 6.5 creedmoor and the 6.5 -284. both of which are excellent long range cartridges, from what i read, but i have no experience with what a 140 grain 6.5 mm bullet does terminally. anyone here have experience with what these little things can do
    Last edited by iracecars4fun; 01-22-12 at 10:59.
    Only hits count..you can not miss fast enough to catch up.

Hunt as if you only had one shot, and you will only need one shot.

Feedback Score
    I am a 6.5mm fan, and I hunt deer with a .260 Rem. using 100 gr. Barnes bullets. I have never lost a deer and only recovered one bullet that almost made it out lengthwise through the deer, it was found under the hide. All broadside shots went through and through.

There are a lot of long range shooters using the 6.5/284 cartridge. I don't have one myself, but I built one for a friend and was very impressed with it. He only used it for target shooting and did not hunt with it.

My first 6.5 was the 6.5 x 55mm Swedish Mauser Ackley Improved I made for my custom rifle project in gunsmithing school. It's a very accurate gun and the 142 gr. Sierra MatchKings shoot great in it. It has a heavy 1/8 twist barrel so I only took it hunting once and didn't have a shot at any deer then, so I can't speak about it's terminal performance. Scandinavians have been hunting with the regular version for about a hundred years, so it must work.

If you feel the need to get a new gun in a new caliber, you can't go wrong with a 6.5mm. For hunting, I'd lean towards the 6.5/284 of the two you mentioned.

Last edited by DTHN2LGS; 01-22-12 at 14:09.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    140g Berger VLD at 200M it will kill a deer out to 1000M. This was at 2950 FPS from a 260 rem.

Last edited by ICANHITHIMMAN; 01-22-12 at 14:33.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Dont over look the 6.5x55 or .260rem.

I've contemplating the same question. I believe 6.5creedmoor is the way to go. But thats just me. 6.5x55 would be my second choice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    140g Berger VLD at 200M it will kill a deer out to 1000M. This was at 2950 FPS from a 260 rem.

that speaks volumes. i did a little more research and the .260 seems the way to go, similar ballistic performance but far greater barrel life. now to find the money.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I would just buy a savage its cheep and they shoot awsome or maybe the tikka in 6.5x55 same performance.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    you dont have to tell me that! i am a savage fan through and through.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    This is a classy one.- 6.5x55

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-550-fs/
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Now THAT is a fine looking weapon, love the full stocks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Being a reloader, I'm a big fan of the 6.5x55 and availability of the Lapua brass!!

If I can ever shoot out the bbl on my Remmy 722 in 257 Roberts, it will be my next round.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast