Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ciener kit for range practice after class?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Ciener kit for range practice after class?

Hey guys. I just finished Pat's 3-day class and am wanting to hit the range to practice some of what I learned. I have also been toying with the idea for some time of picking up a Ciener .22 conversion and some Black Dog mags. While I realize that recoil will obviously be different and POA/POI will probably be different, what I am really wanting to use it for is to practice my trigger control and movement, etc. I realize again that hammers, etc will likely be faster because of the lack of recoil, but again I'm really wanting to work on smoothing out the mechanics. Any reason not to go this route. It certainly won't replace 5.56 training, but would supplement by allowing me to practice more often with my normal set-up. I've read some of the experiences here with these kits, and they seem to be at least somewhat ammo/mag sensitive, but I haven't seen much on their long term durability. Any increased wear or damage to the host receiver or barrel? I would appreciate you sharing any suggestions or experience you might have in running these conversions and thoughts on my intended use. Thanks for the help!

-RD62

Feedback Score

Ciener

I've been using a Ciener conversion with the Black Dog mags for about a year.

My work and practice carbines are setup very similar. When I'm going to practice, I remove the BCG from the practice rifle and drop in the Ciener BCG.

Works pretty good with CCI Minimags (RN and HP) and Federal RN .22 ammo.

It doesn't like most HP ammo, and hates Remington.

From what I've seen, high velocity ammo works better than standard velocity.

I use plated ammo, exclusively, to minimize lead buildup.

BD now offers mags that are very similar to AR15/M16 mags. I'm using the older ones, but I'd buy the new style if I was to buy additional mags.

I've seen people talk about concerns with buildup in the gas port etc, but so far no problems like that.

I keep the Ciener lubed with lightweight grease (TW25). It runs best when well lubed.

Haven't done any accuracy testing, per se, but I can keep all the bullets in the head from 25 yds.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by sff70; 12-18-07 at 15:01. Reason: plated, not jacketed

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sff70 View Post

I use jacketed ammo, exclusively, to minimize lead buildup.

They make jacketed ammo for .22LR?

I only got mine about a month. It started when "Harv" posted about his Ciener kit a few months ago and with the exponentially price hike of 5.56mm ammo I had to give it a try.

Mine run with Remington (Thunderbolts, round nose) and Federal (some kind of hollow point). I just received a Blackdog 30 round magazine so I haven't tested that yet, I've been shooting with the supplied 10 round. I lightly lubed the moving part of the bolt.

Accuracy from a bench at 25 yds is about 1.5" best to 2.5" worst, using a Millett DMS scope. Standing at 35 yds. yielded several 3" groups consistently.

It's a fun and inexpensive training tool.

I've heard that heavy use of the conversion kit in a 5.56mm barrel will cause excessive leading. I try to clean the barrel after each .22LR shooting session.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the responses guys. I'm gonna pick one up and give it a try.

-RD62

Feedback Score

Ciener

I goofed. Thanks for pointing that out.

"Plated" not "jacketed"

As the above poster also stated, be sure to clean the bore after you fire the .22 LR in it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have one of these kits aswell. I had planned on putting my initial rounds through it today, however a local PD was occupying the nearby indoor range. Looks like I'll have to wait a few more days until I get to try it out.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Hey Milfmasta: You, myself and Tim H. should shoot our .22LR M4s at the next LAV class That should test his skills tremendously.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Hey Milfmasta: You, myself and Tim H. should shoot our .22LR M4s at the next LAV class That should test his skills tremendously.
    It would only be better if we were spread across the line and didnt let anyone else know.

Feedback Score
    247 (100%)
    Defiantely a "Short bus" blasting will come out of that.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    With the cost of 5.56mm getting higher and higher, it wouldn't be long until we're seriously going to train with .22LR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast