Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ratchet Charging System for the AK

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I don't know why the AK needs a different charging handle location. If they want something to really improve on the design, it would be a last round bolt hold open device and bolt release. Moving the charging handle doesn't really solve this problem (in fact I'd rather have the original position...I never liked the HK91 style). Funny, however, that people rarely complain about the AK reciprocating charging handle but get their panties in a huge wad when the it comes to the SCAR, just throwing it out there....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I hope they incorporate a rat tail feature into the charging handle ALA the FAL to prevent a debris opening .
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyohte View Post
    I don't know why the AK needs a different charging handle location. If they want something to really improve on the design, it would be a last round bolt hold open device and bolt release. Moving the charging handle doesn't really solve this problem (in fact I'd rather have the original position...I never liked the HK91 style). Funny, however, that people rarely complain about the AK reciprocating charging handle but get their panties in a huge wad when the it comes to the SCAR, just throwing it out there....
    An integral BHO to the AK design isn't really practical. The Yugoslovians tried it and ditched it later on. They later added a BHO after the last round fires to just the magazine, and with the Yugo BHO mags, the bolt just slams forward once you remove it. So BHO AK mags are the best you're going to do with the AK unless you modify the rifle and make it take non standard magazine. I suppose with the ratchet charging handle combined with Yugo BHO mags, the location of the charging handle is convenient enough that you could put your hand over the charging handle to prevent it from slamming forward, and use the other hand to eject the magazine, and insert a fresh magazine, then let go of the bolt and let it ride home. I hope I'm making sense.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Cool design. Nice to see a company actually put some real R&D into it. Depending on user reports, I may be interested in purchasing in the future to see how I like a left hand charge.

A lot of you raised the issue as to whether a left hand charge handle is necessary. Like many of you, I agree it may not be necessary. The only thing I can think of is that as people have begun to add optics above the top cover (either mounting to a side scope rail or some dogleg system) charging over the top has become occluded and difficult. That is just an assumption as mine still use the Ultimak rail.

Feedback Score
    It's not tough - roll to your preferred side (top or bottom) and charge over/under.

I have been working on over as I find it a bit easier to do, but I know many to go under with zero issues.

Feedback Score
    IMHO this IS a better charging handle setup than the standard AK location, however, that would mean I have a bolt handle sticking out of BOTH sides of the gun.

Which would irritate me and would be pointless.

I'd probably have that shit milled off or something and re-finished.

Thankfully I'm not an AK guy. (Yet.)
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    For ME, this a solution looking for a problem... the AK charging handle is OK, better than this mod. Very strong, positive, easy and fast to use, no additional cuts or mods.

The problem is no bolt hold open/bolt release, and this is not going to change.

Feedback Score

fixing 'problems' that don't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    I've yet to met a combat vet who told me their life was saved by a lightening fast Magpul reload on their M16.
    I think you hit the nail on the head there.

People want to turn their AKs into race guns. They forget the AKs primary virtues are low low cost, simplicity, and reliability.

Our legislators have taken the first benefit away, now we will destroy the rest?

Added cost, weight, and worst of all UNKNOWN RELIABILITY, to a now reliable platform. In return it offers tacti-cool appearance?

No thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydkristmas View Post
    I remember a guy came up with a mod like this a few years back. But if I remember correctly it was basically a standard gas tube with a track cut in the side, and a charging handle somehow affixed to the gas piston. Never struck me as a solid/sound design, but these guys obviously have a little more budget/planning behind this offering. I'm with you though, I dont see anything wrong with existing AK charging handles, at least not enough to invest in something like this. Its nice to see the AK getting aftermarket attention though.
    I believe you are talking about this guy:
    http://www.dublinaksystems.com/

He has changed his system and it now looks like the one MAC suggests, or visa versa. (Or maybe parabellum is marketting it for Dublin?, who knows)

http://wasr-10.com/RCS-DIY

His original one was very crude, dare I say it appeared like it might have been engineered by Mikhail Kalashnikov himself. It was just a cut-out in the gas tube with a recess to hold the charging handle back.

I didn't like it then either.
    Last edited by coynedogg; 02-26-12 at 04:05.

Feedback Score
    I'd rather have a Galil style charging handle.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast