Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 16" SPR??

Feedback Score

16" SPR??

Hey guys, I posted a couple questions on a couple of other forums, but can't seem to get a real answer at least not a clear one.

I have a 16" Midlength AR with a Govt profile barrel. Recently I have been getting into some precision shooting and started thinking about building an SPR style rifle. Since money is tight I am thinking about configuring my current Middy AR into a SPR type setup.

My question is the barrel. Do I need to switch to a 18" Heavy SPR barrel with a Rifle length gas system OR will the 16" Govt prof barrel with Midlength gas system be ok?

I know there isn't much of a velocity difference between the two, but what about accuracy? I will primarily be shooting standard 55grn ball at 100-300yds maybe an occasional trip to the 500yd range a few hours from where I live (sucks living in Florida where good ranges are non exsistant)

Any input would be helpful. Thanks guys.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - كافر - WOLVERINES! - Rule#2 Double Tap

Feedback Score

Accuracy and barrel length

The ability of a barrel to shoot what we commonly refer to as accurately is not determined by the length of the barrel, but rather by it's method and quality of manufacture.

Use your 16" and when you can out shoot that barrel consider upgrading to something better suited to your needs at that time.

Barrel, trigger, sights and ammunition choice; in that order make the most impact on your "accuracy" quest. However most barrels will shoot extremely well given the others!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A 16" SPR is a RECCE.

A SPR barrel is not a heavy profile it is a mid-weight profile.

Your current barrel will not give the accuracy of of a SPR or RECCE. But neither will the ammo you plan to use.

If you want to get more precision it would make sense to get a SS precision barrel. A RECCE barrel seems to be the best all around barrel for this.

I use Prvi 75gr. ammo in my Noveske SPR. It is under 50 cents a round and gives good accuracy.

Feedback Score
    But at the ranges I am shooting (100m-300m max) will I really notice a difference by going with a 18" or 20" SS match barrel? There is one range 2 hours away with a 1,000 range, but for the most part I am only able to shoot 100m-200m.

Accuracy wise right now I am shooting about a 1 to 2 inch MOA at 100m with my current config. That may improve with a free float rail, but I was concerned with the rigidity of the barrel affecting accuracy. The thicker heavy barrels do not have the barrel flex that the contoured barrels do and I was curious if I needed to go heavy or not. I'm probably answering my own questions here, but I'm trying to talk myself out of having to buy a new barrel. lol
    Last edited by Seawolf; 01-23-12 at 13:29.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Are you happy with what your gun is doing?

If so, then don't change anything. If it lacks the accuracy you want then get something new.

I would not get a 20" barrel. I have an 18" Noveske SPR barrel. I shoot it at 500yards max. If I had it to do agian i might buy a Noveske 16" recce barrel instead.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    OP

Take into consideration the cost of getting into precision shooting. Good glass, good ammo, trigger and barrel.

If all you're wanting to do is shoot cheap ball 1-200 yards, I'd say keep it simple and inexpensive and not even go the SPR route.

If you're willing to commit to get the most out of the shooting...

RECCE style setup:
    16" Douglas barrel (Or equivalent)
    Good glass (I'm partial to Night Force)
    Good ammo (MK262 shines past 300 yds.)
    Good trigger (I'm partial to Geissele)

I'm not saying that those are the end all be all. I'm also definitely not a SME when it comes to precision shooting. However, if you're looking for some recommendations, those are mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Hey guys, I posted a couple questions on a couple of other forums, but can't seem to get a real answer at least not a clear one.

I have a 16" Midlength AR with a Govt profile barrel. Recently I have been getting into some precision shooting and started thinking about building an SPR style rifle. Since money is tight I am thinking about configuring my current Middy AR into a SPR type setup.

My question is the barrel. Do I need to switch to a 18" Heavy SPR barrel with a Rifle length gas system OR will the 16" Govt prof barrel with Midlength gas system be ok?

I know there isn't much of a velocity difference between the two, but what about accuracy? I will primarily be shooting standard 55grn ball at 100-300yds maybe an occasional trip to the 500yd range a few hours from where I live (sucks living in Florida where good ranges are non exsistant)

Any input would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    As mentioned above by TMS951, with your choice of ammo, a better barrel will not be cost effective. Just my $0.02 worth.
    Colt SP6920, LE6920, 6720
    BCM Lower/ARP 6.8SPC upper for hog hunting
    DD M4V5 clone, Troy 5.56 Carbine, S&W M&P10
    PSA Lower/BCM LW 16" middie CHF upper
    PSA Lower/BCM LW 14.5" middie upper
    2 PSA 18"6.8 rifles, PSA 20" M16A4 clone
    Remington 870, Remington 700VTR
    SA XDm9, XDm9C, , XD9SC S&W 1911
    Ruger GP100, Hawkeye77 Compact 6.8SPC
    Kel-Tec KSG, Marlin 336 30-30, HK 45C, VP9
    Sig 1911 Tacops, Scorpion 1911, M11A1, P226 Mk25

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the input guys. Going to add the free float rail I bought and run it as is for a coupl weeks and make a decision then. If I do go with a new barrel I think I'm leaning toward the 18" with rifle length gas system. That seems to be the one the competition guys are going for these days.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Met with a gentleman that recently swapped out a whole mess of 18" barrels for 16" ones after they were shot out during deployment.
    B5 Systems, Inc. Owner - I can be contacted at mark@b5systems.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Thanks for all the input guys. Going to add the free float rail I bought and run it as is for a coupl weeks and make a decision then. If I do go with a new barrel I think I'm leaning toward the 18" with rifle length gas system. That seems to be the one the competition guys are going for these days.
    FWIW,

I have achieved amazing results from a 14.5 DD. I will soon find out about short noveske 10in and I think it will be just as good.

I think, if I read you clearly, a shorter barrel will do your work and more. You just need to change a few things, as stated above by davidjinks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast