Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 16" SPR??

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    You will notice a difference in accuracy between your barrel and a good SS 16" Barrel. I don't think you'll find a difference between a 16"SS & 18" SS barrel of the same brand. Usually SS barrels are more accurate then a chrome lined barrel.

Feedback Score
    So what about heavy vs contoured? If I get a SS 16 or 18 should I go heavy or is contoured ok?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - كافر - WOLVERINES! - Rule#2 Double Tap

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    I'm with the rest of the crowd here, you have some work to do before I think you need to start looking at new barrels.

You need better ammo, you could probably use a better trigger, glass and a FF tube. But before you go spending money make sure that the gun is the limiting factor. Usually tightening up the big nut behind the gun does wonders for accuracy.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    A medium contour barrel will be fine just make sure you get a quality barrel like Douglas, BCM or Noveske. As others mentioned, the trigger, ammo & optic are also very important if you are going for precision.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was in the same boat as you honestly. I traded my 700Tactical for a Sun Devil lower, some upper, and a DD 16" CHF Barrel and EXO/FailZero Bolt/Carrier. My intent was at first to do a 2-upper rifle, one with a 16" or pinned/welded 14.5" for general blasting, and an 18" for an SPR-ish/precision configuration.

There isn't anything special going on with the internals, a standard crap trigger, buffer and spring from the local FFL, and a Magpul ACS. I wrenched on an A2 birdcage after shooting these 5 round groups.

And a shitty 10 round group for good measure, with the A2 on the muzzle:

I was shooting Southwest Ammo 69gr SMK RunNGun loads. This was at 100 yards, from prone on a bipod.

I will not be investing in a new upper, 18" barrel, etc.etc. I will end up investing in a Geiselle SSA and dedicated glass for this weapon instead.

I say take what you have, and see where it is before you make any more decisions. I am VERY glad I did. You may only have to tweak some things instead of going balls out on it.

Edit: sit down and READ on the proper way to shoot a semi-auto in a precision setting. I dry fired the shit out of my 522 (every day for a while) and really focused when I was shooting it, and then, when I got behind the AR when it was done, my mind was blown and I was left speechless with the result. I guess I did it right. I can tell you that I sat down and read for hours everywhere I could on the right way to handle an AR...trigger control and follow through especially...
    Last edited by Shooterman017; 01-24-12 at 12:32.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If you're not going beyond 300m, a match 10.5" barrel will keep up just fine, don't think you need to go 20" for that.

Intermediate contoured SS 16" barrel is still what I'd consider to be 'the' answer for precision rifles that aren't boat anchors. Noveske, HighCaliberSales, Centurion, BCM are worth a look if you want a super solid sub-MOA capable rifle out of the box.

SM017 has it right - good glass, and a good trigger will do a lot, and quality ammunition makes the biggest difference.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Seawolf -

Define your goal: what standard of precision/accuracy do you want to attain? How big are the targets and at what distances? Is this for 3 gun? Prairie dogs? 1 hole groups far, far, far away?

Apart from skill (the most important variable), here's the order in which I would approach your goal, considering that you are working with a limited budget.

-Ammo (you'd be surprised how good your AR15 pattern rifle can be when using match quality ammo; it requires no alternations to the rifle). 55 grn ball will not suffice for your goal.

-Optic and mount (best stuff you can afford, recommend saving and waiting until you can buy good stuff, as opposed to something cheap that will not perform)

-Trigger

-Free float the barrel

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    By your own assessment you seem to be shooting what you have well. 1-2" groups at 100 aren't bad. My suggestion is to get some better ammo. 55gr ball is not accuracy ammo. Don't need to go batshit crazy and buy mk262, but some decent ammo like PPU match will help greatly. Free float your barrel and shoot the absolute crap out of it. Once you melt that baby them get a better tube. The barrel profile really won't kill you in the accuracy department so long as you are doing slow fire. Shoot fast and it will heat up and do wierd things. Shot slow and you can make it work. Yes, it will whip more than a brick shithouse barrel, but so long as it does it consistently you're going to be OK. Also, start figuring out which organ you can part with so you can buy good glass. Hard to hit what you can't see.

Feedback Score
    No Shit! Buying barrels and rails is easy. Trying to fund a better than average scope requires a bank loan.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - كافر - WOLVERINES! - Rule#2 Double Tap

Feedback Score

This was my interpretation of a 16" SPR, its patterned off a Mk12 Mod 0 SPR. I sold off the upper because I was able to find a real deal Mod 0 upper. I'm going to build some thing similar in the future though.

The limiting factor with your setup is going to be ammo first then probably the trigger then the barrel. There isn't much sense in upgrading to a quality SS barrel if you are still going to shoot 55gr ammo and use a mil spec trigger. The scope on the upper pictured is a Vortex Viper 2-7x, I was able to get it for $179 because vortex was discontinuing the 2-7x model vs $350 when it was in production. It's a hell of a scope for the money.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast